Does the world need more teachers?

I'm sorry. My statement was meant to convey the idea that even someone as knowledgeable as Aristotle was still constantly seeking to learn and expand his understanding. I did not mean to imply that he knew everything in the world, as that would be impossible for anyone. My apologies for any confusion.In summary, education is a lifelong goal driven by important human traits such as curiosity, hope, and the desire for eudaimonia. However, the practice of educating oneself has become increasingly difficult to satisfy due to the market corruption in education. The rise of the internet has made it easier to access information, but there is a lack of guidance in one's educational goals. In addition, there is a need for more good teachers who value the importance of
Posy McPostface
Education is a lifelong goal, for me. I have rarely met anyone who doesn't need to educate themselves more on a subject or matter, otherwise, we're in the twilight zone of sages and masters, which are rare and few. Even Aristotle, who one of my philosophy teachers told me, was the last man who knew everything in the world, did not become content with his knowledge. Similar to Goethe's Faust, there is an insatiable desire to want to know more, driven by important human traits such as curiosity, hope, and the desire for eudaimonia.

I've often resented the fact that education is considered as a stepping stone, which upon completing doesn't require further practice. It's become mechanized like a production line in many regards. Since the advent of modern education along with a growing population that is inquisitive and interested in further education, I feel as though, there might be a need for a higher degree than what is attainable as a P.hD. In all seriousness, a Bachelors nowadays has lost its value relative to what it would have been worth some 50 years ago. It would seem intuitively obvious that the best worker is one willing to learn on every step on the way forward before, during, and after work.

So, what am I getting at?

Basically, that with so many people around the world, who are curious and inquisitive, that we ought to have more teachers in the world to help guide them in their epistemological development about the world. We have seen the development of many online programs and youtube self-help tutorial videos that are driven by the aforementioned traits displayed by people. The practice of educating one's self is a virtuous circle, yet, is becoming increasingly difficult to satisfy. Again, as per one of my previous threads, the market has corrupted education in my mind.

Thoughts?

Likes WindowSeat
Science news on Phys.org
Posy McPostface said:
The practice of educating one's self is a virtuous circle, yet, is becoming increasingly difficult to satisfy.

How so? The rise of the internet has drastically increased the amount of information most people have access to. Not only in the sheer amount of "primary" articles and books, but also with how easy it is to communicate with people of almost any background and with nearly any interest. All of those online programs and self-help youtube videos you mentioned only make it easier.

I can't imagine a time when educating oneself was easier than it is now.

Likes russ_watters and PeroK
Not very many people today really value teachers. Colleges in particular make the assumption that anyone who makes it to graduate school can teach. The tend to reward teaching very poorly. What they reward instead is said to be "research" but in reality, it is grant money. To advance in most colleges, bringing in grant money is a much faster and more productive way to spend your time than teaching is. Colleges and advanced education are rather throughly corrupted by the quest for money and image. Thus, I suggest, that whether more teachers are needed is a moot point; its not going to happen when there is so little reward for doing it. I say this as one with 17 years of college teaching and rank of Professor.

Likes WindowSeat, CalcNerd and Posy McPostface
Drakkith said:

I agree with that sentiment; but, there's an issue of lacking guidance in one's goal of education. I mean, any professor or academic here cringe when Wikipedia is used as a bona fide source to a claim of knowledge. Then there's the paradox of choice, where there are so many vistas and different degrees that one can become overwhelmed by what best decision to make. So, hence again the need for a (possibly) higher role of institutional education in our lives provided by qualified teachers and (counselors)?

Gee, I hope I'm not making the profession of teaching more onerous with them also being moral or guides for others.

Drakkith said:
How so? The rise of the internet has drastically increased the amount of information most people have access to. Not only in the sheer amount of "primary" articles and books, but also with how easy it is to communicate with people of almost any background and with nearly any interest. All of those online programs and self-help youtube videos you mentioned only make it easier.

Information is not the same as knowledge or skill.

Likes Mmm_Pasta
We have plenty of loser teachers who are willing to pass students who don't do the homework and don't master the learning objectives.

We need more good teachers. Don't bother if you will just be another prostitute gifting grades and pretending to make a difference.

Likes member 587159, Mondayman and CivilSigma
Dr.D said:
Not very many people today really value teachers.
I agree, and appreciate, all the more, the dedication of people who still desire to teach regardless of that fact.

Dr.D said:
Colleges and advanced education are rather throughly corrupted by the quest for money and image. Thus, I suggest, that whether more teachers are needed is a moot point; its not going to happen when there is so little reward for doing it. I say this as one with 17 years of college teaching and rank of Professor.

I would be keenly interested in what kind of solution could be provided to this predicament in your mind.

Thank you.

Posy McPostface said:
... Aristotle, who one of my philosophy teachers told me, was the last man who knew everything in the world
Your teacher GROSSLY overstated Aristotle's knowledge. Hell, he didn't even know about the existence of most of the world and I'm confident that his knowledge of, for example, the various living creatures in the world was but a tiny fraction of all extant organisms. I could go on and on and on ...

phinds said:
Your teacher GROSSLY overstated Aristotle's knowledge. Hell, he didn't even know about the existence of most of the world and I'm confident that his knowledge of, for example, the various living creatures in the world was but a tiny fraction of all extant organisms. I could go on and on and on ...

I should have stated that differently. He was the last man to know everything available to know at the time. I think there's some difference in stating that instead of 'everything' as I misstated.

Posy McPostface said:
I should have stated that differently. He was the last man to know everything available to know at the time. I think there's some difference in stating that instead of 'everything' as I misstated.
That caveat would certainly make it more reasonable but still, I think, far from the truth. I'm not arguing that he was not a polymath of his day but let's not go overboard.

Likes OCR
Drakkith said:

Sadly, people don't use access to the information to learn, but to confirm their prejudices. Think anti-vaccination movement.

Likes WWGD, Mondayman, mheslep and 2 others
Posy McPostface said:
I've often resented the fact that education is considered as a stepping stone, which upon completing doesn't require further practice.
Are you still a student or are you in the workforce yet? There are a great many professional jobs that require continuous learning - many even formally - in order to advance or even keep professional certifications.
...I feel as though, there might be a need for a higher degree than what is attainable as a P.hD. In all seriousness, a Bachelors nowadays has lost its value relative to what it would have been worth some 50 years ago. It would seem intuitively obvious that the best worker is one willing to learn on every step on the way forward before, during, and after work.

So, what am I getting at?
Not really, no. The idea of a degree above phd contradicts the idea of "learning every step on the way" because formal schooling to get a degree is generally designed to be a full-time job in itself. While there are people who do night school to get one, there just isn't enough time for most. So the learning comes in smaller bites.

...except for research scientists, who's primary job is continuous learning.

Can you give us a specific example of a field/job where this would apply and a specific description of the ongoing learning or higher degree you had in mind?

Last edited:
I'm not so sure we need more or better teachers, we need to treat the teachers we have better than we currently are doing, and teach learning for it's own sake rather than for the reasons we currently seem to have, e.g. making educational establishments look good, solely preparing children for a future job, grant money, and so on.

I guess I am old-fashioned. In my view, the point of higher education is NOT to cram a bunch of knowledge into your mind; it is for you to learn HOW to cram that knowledge into your mind. It is to develop critical thinking, so that you can separate the truth from the crap. It is up to YOU to continue doing that for the 60 or 70 years you have left after you leave school. Learn new stuff every day. Learn stuff on your own, and from other people. They don't need the title "teacher" for you to learn from them. /rant sorry...

Likes Asymptotic, StoneTemplePython and phinds
Dr. Courtney said:
We have plenty of loser teachers who are willing to pass students who don't do the homework and don't master the learning objectives.

We need more good teachers. Don't bother if you will just be another prostitute gifting grades and pretending to make a difference.

In the UK we now have a severe problem with teachers that just know the bare minimum about their subject to get by and absolutely nothing about anything else .

In my senior school days we mostly had teachers that not only had an in depth knowledge of their own subject but of many parallel and even unrelated subjects as well .

Maybe few of you who are younger than me have ever had the experience of being taught maths or physics by teachers like that . There was a syllabus somewhere but all the lessons where fresh and wide ranging and fascinating every time and not just absolutely fixed and sterile rote learning exercises .

Likes Asymptotic
Posy McPostface said:
I would be keenly interested in what kind of solution could be provided to this predicament in your mind.

I am afraid we will have to revise our sense of values to accomplish any real change. Today's society respects and honors the man with the most money, not the one with the greatest intellectual accomplishments. I see a real major part of the problem as lying at the upper levels of the academic establishment. When Deans discovered that grant money brought in "overhead money" as well (simply a slush fund), they really got behind the idea of making grants the most important activity. It gave them money for which they did nothing and were not accountable to anyone for the way it was spent. This factor makes a strong appeal to the lowest parts of the human mind. Until we restore the idea of personally working for the money you spend, this will not change.

gmax137 said:
I guess I am old-fashioned. In my view, the point of higher education is NOT to cram a bunch of knowledge into your mind; it is for you to learn HOW to cram that knowledge into your mind. It is to develop critical thinking, so that you can separate the truth from the crap. It is up to YOU to continue doing that for the 60 or 70 years you have left after you leave school. Learn new stuff every day. Learn stuff on your own, and from other people. They don't need the title "teacher" for you to learn from them. /rant sorry...
Exactly !

according me, yes. But not for making lectures, but for answering. I think about one thing: I learn math by study very good material in pdf-s. Then I go to forum where I ask questions. Maybe 200 question during 4 years, which I ask. I think that is core to understand anything. Questions and answers.

Borek said:
Sadly, people don't use access to the information to learn, but to confirm their prejudices. Think anti-vaccination movement.

I agree that many people use this access to information to confirm their own prejudices. But I also think that this is far outweighed by the people that use it correctly and I also think that many of these supporters of anti-vaxx (or other similar groups) use the internet correctly when it comes to topics of which they don't have strong pre-existing opinions about.

cobalt124 said:
I'm not so sure we need more or better teachers, we need to treat the teachers we have better than we currently are doing, and teach learning for it's own sake rather than for the reasons we currently seem to have, e.g. making educational establishments look good, solely preparing children for a future job, grant money, and so on.

I don't understand what "teach learning for it's own sake" means or what it's supposed to accomplish beyond some vague premises of "teaching critical thinking" and whatnot. The primary reason people go to college is to help them get a job. If that isn't the primary concern of a college, most people aren't going to go to it.

I do agree that the other issues you mentioned, such as the focus on getting grant money, are important topics that should be looked into.

gmax137 said:

So, we need to focus on liberal arts degrees more with an emphasis on critical thinking?

Dr.D said:
I am afraid we will have to revise our sense of values to accomplish any real change. Today's society respects and honors the man with the most money, not the one with the greatest intellectual accomplishments.

That's unfortunate. The general sentiment from what I gather here is that education is, again, a stepping stone or a means to an end to the profit motive that dictates behavior, especially if in debt due to college.

Dr.D said:
I see a real major part of the problem as lying at the upper levels of the academic establishment. When Deans discovered that grant money brought in "overhead money" as well (simply a slush fund), they really got behind the idea of making grants the most important activity. It gave them money for which they did nothing and were not accountable to anyone for the way it was spent.

Could this be a result of having colleges delve more and more into privative money being invested in them? I don't think it was such an issue before some presidents reduced state funds to colleges and federal funds(?)

I really cannot say what forced the changes other than the acceptance of greed as a driving motivation for administrators. When I was an undergraduate, there was some funded research at my university, but a lot of work was done without external funding simply based on interest. During my teaching career, I saw things change from "publish or perish" to "get grant money or perish." Good publications ceased to be valued nearly so much as slush money dollars.

There was a time (long, long ago, before the ice had all melted), when academics prided themselves on integrity and on the quality of their teaching. I cannot identify a single school where that is true today, except perhaps Grove City College and Hillsboro College. Otherwise, I think they have all sold out, saying "everyone else is doing it, so I must do so too."

Dr.D said:
Hillsboro College
I think you mean Hillsdale College. They don't accept any government funding, to the best of my knowledge.

Dr.D said:
Today's society respects and honors the man with the most money, not the one with the greatest intellectual accomplishments.
This was probably true 500 years ago, as well, so I'm not sure that this is just limited to today's society.

Likes Drakkith
Posy McPostface said:
Again, as per one of my previous threads, the market has corrupted education in my mind.

Unfortunately, per your previous threads, your prejudice has corrupted your mind. You have already made up your mind on the nature of education, so any kind of rational discussion is meaningless, because you are regurgitating the same idea over and over again.

So why bother?

Zz.

Likes Drakkith
Mark44 said:
I think you mean Hillsdale College. They don't accept any government funding, to the best of my knowledge.

You are correct. What I wrote did not look right, but I was drawing a blank otherwise. Thanks.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, per your previous threads, your prejudice has corrupted your mind. You have already made up your mind on the nature of education, so any kind of rational discussion is meaningless, because you are regurgitating the same idea over and over again.

So why bother?
Perhaps you are right; but, my prejudice doesn't change what other's have noticed and said in this thread. I doubt it, but is this some form of personal attack on me for presenting not a rose-tinted vision of our current educational system, in the US?

Last edited by a moderator:
Posy McPostface said:
Perhaps you are right; but, my prejudice doesn't change what other's have noticed and said in this thread.

It also doesn't change the fact that multiple people have also presented viewpoints which run counter to your own.

Drakkith said:
It also doesn't change the fact that multiple people have also presented viewpoints which run counter to your own.

Isn't this a truism in any debate/discussion? To have a position and argue over it regardless if you're right or wrong, and then adjust your beliefs based on whatever consensus is achieved, given the consensus comes from an informed public or are informed about the issue more so than yourself? I'd say there is no consensus in this thread regarding what should be (if at all need be) done about the current state of affairs.

Posy McPostface said:
Isn't this a truism in any debate/discussion?

Certainly.

Posy McPostface said:
To have a position and argue over it regardless if you're right or wrong, and then adjust your beliefs based on whatever consensus is achieved, given the consensus comes from an informed public or are informed about the issue more so than yourself?

That would be ideal, yes.

Posy McPostface said:
I'd say there is no consensus in this thread regarding what should be (if at all need be) done about the current state of affairs.

There hasn't even been the semblance of a discussion along the lines of what you just described. It's just been people's opinions on about a dozen or more different topics. Almost every single post is talking about something different. And remember that you didn't even reply to your other thread. Or to my question in post #2 in this thread. Why should we give you serious consideration again when you haven't returned it?

I readdress your point.

Drakkith said:

In response to:

Posy McPostface said:
The practice of educating one's self is a virtuous circle, yet, is becoming increasingly difficult to satisfy.

How so? Well, for starters college in the US isn't free. This drives students to make decisions out of financial reasons and has skewed the distribution of students to pursue more profitable fields of study, such as STEM-related fields for example. Is that a bad thing? In some regards yes and no. For jobs that are related to STEM fields, this is a good thing for an employer because you have more competition for a position, leaving you with a lower wage that has to be paid to the individual. I tend to think that you'd also get a better-qualified candidate given such enormous competition. Keep in mind that this is all true given that the supply of jobs for the position isn't growing at a substantial rate. So, my case might be moot in this setting of STEM-related fields due to the incredible growth of STEM-related jobs over the past few decades. Indeed, many graduates from the best colleges are lured into the market due to high wages and salaries, think quants or other specialized majors.

But, that's not the real issue. The crux seems to me to be that education seems to have evolved to producing good workers or consumers, not producers. Even if you're interested in producing goods you're going to be limited to many factors, such as debt accumulated from college. However, there are some few and notable cases where college students recognized the demands of the market, and seemingly decided to opt-out of the idea of becoming a good worker to instead being a producer of sorts, think Bill Gates, Elon Musk, and other notable people who didn't complete college. But, that's just my anecdote.

You can see this 5 minute video to better understand my point (disregard the title, it's not indicative to the discussion they're having in the video):

Basically, my whole idea is that there's an inexhaustible pool of supply that should be unleashed by increasing the number of teachers. Creating a virtuous circle.

Ideally, if the education system would be able to teach skills to people to become better producers, then that would further enhance the virtuous circle of education given that we can't all be teachers.

Posy McPostface said:
How so? Well, for starters college in the US isn't free. This drives students to make decisions out of financial reasons and has skewed the distribution of students to pursue more profitable fields of study, such as STEM-related fields for example.

Absolutely. The percentage of students going into non-STEM areas of study would probably be higher if school was free.

Posy McPostface said:
Is that a bad thing? In some regards yes and no. For jobs that are related to STEM fields, this is a good thing for an employer because you have more competition for a position, leaving you with a lower wage that has to be paid to the individual.

I have to admit, I've never ever heard this kind of argument before.

Posy McPostface said:
I tend to think that you'd also get a better-qualified candidate given such enormous competition.

Define "enormous". I'm hard pressed to believe that there's anything but modest competition in most STEM fields. Though I admit I haven't seen any statistics. Do you have any references supporting this?

Posy McPostface said:
But, that's not the real issue. The crux seems to me to be that education seems to have evolved to producing good workers or consumers, not producers.

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

Posy McPostface said:
However, there are some few and notable cases where college students recognized the demands of the market, and seemingly decided to opt-out of the idea of becoming a good worker to instead being a producer of sorts, think Bill Gates, Elon Musk, and other notable people who didn't complete college. But, that's just my anecdote.

You certainly don't need a college degree to be successful, but the number of people who wildly succeed without a college degree (or even with one) is so small that I don't feel that they have any bearing on this conversation. Also, how many people without college degrees do you think Bill Gates and Elon Musk hire? I'm willing to bet it's only a small amount and almost certainly not in areas of importance. They run businesses based on highly technical products that require people with years of experience and training in their respective fields to produce them. The vast majority of people are not going to acquire this experience and training on their own. That's why they go to college.

Posy McPostface said:
Basically, my whole idea is that there's an inexhaustible pool of supply that should be unleashed by increasing the number of teachers. Creating a virtuous circle.

Supply of what? And what is a "virtuous circle"?

Posy McPostface said:
Ideally, if the education system would be able to teach skills to people to become better producers, then that would further enhance the virtuous circle of education given that we can't all be teachers.

You need to define what you mean by 'producer'. If it means hugely successful people like the ones you listed, then your idea is a pipe dream.

Posy McPostface said:
You can see this 5 minute video to better understand my point (disregard the title, it's not indicative to the discussion they're having in the video):

The video only seems to be vaguely related to what you've presented in this thread. I agree with many of the points in the video, or at least think they are issues worth considering. I don't agree with much that you've presented here.

Posy McPostface said:
How so? Well, for starters college in the US isn't free.
I'd have to counter by saying that college isn't free anywhere -- somebody has to pay for it. And in places where college is free, "government" doesn't pay for college -- taxpayers do, a point that was made already, either in this thread or possibly another one you started -- I don't recall.
Posy McPostface said:
This drives students to make decisions out of financial reasons and has skewed the distribution of students to pursue more profitable fields of study, such as STEM-related fields for example. Is that a bad thing? In some regards yes and no.
Does that mean in other regards, no and yes?
An important upside of having students pay for their own educations is that it becomes more expensive for them to become "professional students," spending many years at college, dabbling in this and that.
Posy McPostface said:
But, that's not the real issue. The crux seems to me to be that education seems to have evolved to producing good workers or consumers, not producers. Even if you're interested in producing goods you're going to be limited to many factors, such as debt accumulated from college.
Are you making the argument that workers aren't producing anything? I worked in the software industry for 15 years, after spending 20 years teaching at the community college level, so I have considerable experience in both the private and public sectors. While I worked for the software company, there were quite a few people who created things that became patented. And not a few decided to go their own ways, either starting their own companies or working with a small number of others in startups.

As far as schools producing consumers, what evidence do you have for that claim? That has not been my experience after spending lots of years as a student, as well as many more as a teacher.

Posy McPostface said:
However, there are some few and notable cases where college students recognized the demands of the market, and seemingly decided to opt-out of the idea of becoming a good worker to instead being a producer of sorts, think Bill Gates, Elon Musk, and other notable people who didn't complete college.
I don't know Elon Musk's background, but you're right about Bill Gates. I believe that Paul Allen, the other co-founder of Microsoft, also didn't complete college. At the company I worked for, most developers had degrees in Computer Science, but if someone had a proven track record, a degree was not a prerequisite of being hired.

Mark44 said:
I'd have to counter by saying that college isn't free anywhere -- somebody has to pay for it. And in places where college is free, "government" doesn't pay for college -- taxpayers do, a point that was made already, either in this thread or possibly another one you started -- I don't recall.

Speaking specifically about the US, but, it seems that the best public utility good that can be attained is by the investment in human capital. What's not to love about an informed and educated public?

Mark44 said:
Does that mean in other regards, no and yes?
An important upside of having students pay for their own educations is that it becomes more expensive for them to become "professional students," spending many years at college, dabbling in this and that.

Well, then it would seem you are advocating a shortage in supply to fill in the demand for such jobs, thus giving you higher wages (something you would want for paying a premium to ear more). In the case of the US, there seems to be a lot of talk about 'useless' degrees... So, there isn't demand for those degrees, stated otherwise. That would be the 'no' part.

Mark44 said:
Are you making the argument that workers aren't producing anything?

No, not really. Even consuming requires some level of producing something of value to sustain that consumption. My point is that education should either want from students to become producers instead of consumers. Meaning, to start your own business and apply your knowledge or otherwise to stay in college for as long you can and then apply what knowledge you have gained into some useful product.

Mark44 said:
As far as schools producing consumers, what evidence do you have for that claim? That has not been my experience after spending lots of years as a student, as well as many more as a teacher.

I don't have a quantified example. So, I might have to think over that for a while to make the claim more reasonable than on face value.