Does thermal radiation occur within a material?

In summary, the conversation is about investigating the effects of including thermal radiation in an assignment with multiple heat transfers. The equation for thermal radiation is q = A*σ*(T14 - T24), but it is slightly more complicated in the case of concentric cylinders. There is a question about whether thermal radiation occurs within a material itself and if the equation should be applied in a scenario with only one metal plate. The suggestion is made to read about heat transfer and radiation.
Wisco52

Homework Statement

I am doing an assignment with multiple heat transfers, and have to investigate the effects of including thermal radiation vs saying that thermal radiation is negligible. I know that the equation for thermal radiation is

q = A*σ*(T14 - T24) (*)

In my case the equation is slightly more complicated since I am looking at concentric cylinders, but the equation itself is not what I am hung up on.

Homework Equations

I know that radiation will occur between two black/grey bodies. If there are two metal plates near each others, and one is hot, the heat will radiate to the cold plate using the relationship above. What I am unsure of is whether thermal radiation occurs within a material itself. As in, should one apply eqn (*) in a scenario where there is only one metal plate, and one wants to look at the temperature difference across that individual plate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I currently think that one does not account for radiation within a single material, as most of the literature/textbooks I have looked at describe thermal radiation between two black/grey bodies. I have not learned about thermal radiation in my classes though before, so I am not confident in making this assumption.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves. It occurs when a hot object emits infrared radiation that travels through space until it is absorbed by another object.

2. How does thermal radiation occur within a material?

Thermal radiation occurs within a material when the atoms and molecules within the material vibrate and emit electromagnetic waves, which carry thermal energy. These waves can travel through a vacuum or through transparent materials.

3. Is thermal radiation the same as conduction or convection?

No, thermal radiation is a separate method of heat transfer. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between materials, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids.

4. Can all materials emit thermal radiation?

Yes, all materials emit thermal radiation to some degree. The amount of radiation emitted depends on the temperature of the material and its emissivity, which is a measure of how well it emits radiation.

5. How does thermal radiation affect the temperature of a material?

Thermal radiation can both heat and cool a material. If the material absorbs more radiation than it emits, it will heat up. If it emits more radiation than it absorbs, it will cool down. The balance between absorption and emission determines the temperature of the material.