Does this gate construction look okay to you?

In summary, the gate is asymmetrical and the reinforcing cable is pulling it down instead of up, the grass is not growing well, and the gate is locked.
berkeman
Mentor
I was helping with a disaster preparedness presentation at a local elementary school last night, and noticed this fence gate in front of the school. I'm not an ME, but it looks to me to have a small problem...?

Wrongway Gate at Schilling Elementary School.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
The diagonal reinforcing cable on the left gate is pulling it into the ground, not up like the right side gate...

Likes CWatters, Nidum, 256bits and 2 others
The grass is not growing like on the right.
The handle is too high for a kid to reach -You have to be "This Big" to use this gate.
It's locked - is that to keep the kids in, or the cars out.
An asymmetrical look to the gate. Come on, the kids will think all gates should be like that after 6 years of being there.
:sorry:

Likes 1oldman2 and berkeman
256bits said:
The grass is not growing like on the right.
The handle is too high for a kid to reach -You have to be "This Big" to use this gate.
It's locked - is that to keep the kids in, or the cars out.
An asymmetrical look to the gate. Come on, the kids will think all gates should be like that after 6 years of being there.
Also the center locking rod is somewhat out of plumb, that along with the reinforcing cable jerromyjon noted totally blows the asthetics.

Likes 256bits
256bits said:
Come on, the kids will think all gates should be like that after 6 years of being there.
I wouldn't have. And would have insisted my friends concur or beat it! (I was really picked on a lot for being too smart, go figure) My best friend and I were most vicious towards each other, it became common to act this way until I learned sympathy!

So now I ask the deeper and more intuitive question of what is the very first indication of illogical construction? I had to really dig deep and go back and remember thinking about it before I saw the conflict of asymmetry. Is there any other way to get the "tip-off" that anyone realizes?

Hinge size.

Likes 256bits
jerromyjon said:
I wouldn't have. And would have insisted my friends concur or beat it! (I was really picked on a lot for being too smart, go figure) My best friend and I were most vicious towards each other, it became common to act this way until I learned sympathy!

So now I ask the deeper and more intuitive question of what is the very first indication of illogical construction? I had to really dig deep and go back and remember thinking about it before I saw the conflict of asymmetry. Is there any other way to get the "tip-off" that anyone realizes?
Well, the left gate is not an exact mirror image of the right gate.
And it really is much too busy in the middle "locking" section, for an artistic merit award IMO.
As for a "tip off" - you will know a really good looking gate when you see one. to me this one looks like a :eek: rather than a :woot:.

berkeman said:
I was helping with a disaster preparedness presentation at a local elementary school last night, and noticed this fence gate in front of the school. I'm not an ME, but it looks to me to have a small problem...?

View attachment 97927
Did you ask them to show you how it opens up? That centre seems to be connected to both gates, but difficult to tell since zooming pixelates the photo for me.

256bits said:
Did you ask them to show you how it opens up? That centre seems to be connected to both gates, but difficult to tell since zooming pixelates the photo for me.
The hinges are on the outsides, and the center tie post just has a lock for both gates.

Yeah, the support cable looks wrong for the left gate. It should go from the top hinge corner down to the far corner, to help support the weight of the gate. Not sure how in the world the fence building company could manage to get that wrong, but it's been there for many years now. Luckily that gate hardly ever gets used...

The hinges also look weird, don't they? The top hinge doesn't seem to be taking any weight, the gate rests on the bottom one, while the top hinge is only there to keep it from falling. Or is this a standard arrangement for this type of gate (so the kids couldn't lift it off the hinges easily or something like that) ?.

Likes CWatters
Dan S. said:
The hinges also look weird, don't they? The top hinge doesn't seem to be taking any weight, the gate rests on the bottom one, while the top hinge is only there to keep it from falling. Or is this a standard arrangement for this type of gate (so the kids couldn't lift it off the hinges easily or something like that) ?.
Several good questions about the hinges. I'll go take some better closeup pics tomorrow, and maybe try to find out what company the city used to build the fences. Dumb mistake, IMO.

berkeman said:
The hinges are on the outsides, and the center tie post just has a lock for both gates.

Yeah, the support cable looks wrong for the left gate
Yes, jerromyjon, saw that right away.

I am wondering how by unlocking the gate it is still able to open up.
The clasp from the right gate seems to bolted around the tie post.
It could be just a matter of resolution of that mechanism

Last edited:
256bits said:
The clasp from the right gate seems to bolted around the tie post.
That looks like it will just limit the distance you can lift the center pole, which probably only needs inches to clear the hole which retains it. It is really difficult to see with the limited resolution.

The turn buckle on the left gate is backwards, but the gussets are welded in so there isn't much you can do with that. If it functions as it is and isn't a safety concern then I'd say let if fly, if not then it will have to be modified or rebuilt.

1. Is the gate structurally sound?

The structural integrity of the gate is crucial for its stability and durability. It is important to ensure that all the materials used and the construction method are suitable for the intended purpose of the gate.

2. Will the gate be able to withstand harsh weather conditions?

The gate should be able to withstand various weather conditions such as rain, wind, and extreme temperatures. It is important to use materials that are suitable for the local climate and to reinforce the gate if necessary.

3. Does the gate comply with building codes and regulations?

Before starting any construction, it is important to check with local building codes and regulations to ensure that the gate meets all the necessary requirements. This will also ensure the safety of those using the gate.

4. Are the dimensions and measurements accurate?

Accurate measurements are crucial for the gate to fit properly and function effectively. It is important to double-check all the dimensions and measurements before and during the construction process to avoid any potential issues.

5. Is the gate aesthetically pleasing?

While the functionality of the gate is important, its appearance also matters. It is important to consider the overall design and aesthetics of the gate to ensure that it complements the surrounding area and meets the desired look.