Does Time Really Exist? A Philosophical Perspective

• Thread starter Sapientiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of time and its existence. The speaker believes that time is a necessary tool for measuring change and that it is essentially the same as distance or temperature. They also question why time is necessary for existence and if time travel is truly possible. The concept of time dilation and its effects on the perception of time is also discussed. The speaker ultimately argues that time is an abstract concept created by humans and is not something that can be manipulated or traveled through.
SixNein said:
No a change in time is occurring and the perception is changed as well, but the change in time at that rate of speed is extremely small. At the speed of light, time stops for you. So the faster you get, the slower time gets for you until it stops. If you was looking back traveling at the speed of light away from earth, people would appear to stand completely still.

You really need to be clear by what you mean as "time". Yes, "time dilation" is occurring, but the definition of time is still the same (ie. it's still the same observers time we're talking about). Meaning of time questions have nothing to do with time dilation, they have to do with observers.

Physics news on Phys.org
whybother said:
You really need to be clear by what you mean as "time". Yes, "time dilation" is occurring, but the definition of time is still the same (ie. it's still the same observers time we're talking about). Meaning of time questions have nothing to do with time dilation, they have to do with observers.

What do you mean by definition of time? Is it a process of measuring change, kind of definition?

Let me break this down more, but honestly that article did a good explanation.

Two observers, with synchronized watches.
First is standing still, in relation to the ground.
Second is moving at a velocity.

Effect #1 - Second is aging slower then first. The rate of change is depending on velocity.
Effect #2 - Second looks at the watch of frist, sees time is different. vise versa...

This is the werid one:
First is moving same velocity as second (side by side, same direction).
Effect #1 - Both should be aging at the same rate.
Effect #2 - Both see each others clock is slower then their own.

whybother said:

SixNein said:
What do you mean by definition of time? Is it a process of measuring change, kind of definition?

Let me break this down more, but honestly that article did a good explanation.

Two observers, with synchronized watches.
First is standing still, in relation to the ground.
Second is moving at a velocity.

Effect #1 - Second is aging slower then first. The rate of change is depending on velocity.
Effect #2 - Second looks at the watch of frist, sees time is different. vise versa...

This is the werid one:
First is moving same velocity as second (side by side, same direction).
Effect #1 - Both should be aging at the same rate.
Effect #2 - Both see each others clock is slower then their own.

Section 2, Effect #2 I think is the weirdest. But it still has an explanation. At those speeds, even though the person is next to you, you are seeing a delayed version of the clock. I would theorize that if they decelerated at the same rate and stopped at the same time, they would see the same time on both of their clocks.

See http://sheol.org/throopw/sr-superbowl.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't the ordered sequences of events going to happen even if we don't measure them (with time)? Would they somehow not happen?

That is like saying

"Don't objects have length even though we don't measure them (with distance)? Would they somehow not have length?"

As you can see it is meaningless to say that time does not exist. Time is the ordering of the sequence of events we know to happen which as a part of its definition is the necessary medium for us to experience events. How we measure events does not have anything to do with the 'existence' of time.

I would theorize that if they decelerated at the same rate and stopped at the same time, they would see the same time on both of their clocks.

Stopped?

Sapientiam said:
Section 2, Effect #2 I think is the weirdest. But it still has an explanation. At those speeds, even though the person is next to you, you are seeing a delayed version of the clock. I would theorize that if they decelerated at the same rate and stopped at the same time, they would see the same time on both of their clocks.

Perception wise, light takes time to get to you. If your a very long distance from someone, you'll see them in the past.

My explanations pretty much sucked on this, so I would honestly suggest that you go to that link I pasted. Their explanations of the effect is so much better then mine lol.

It covers both aging and different perceptions of events.

the elegant universe explains it pretty good as well with nice examples.

Sapientiam said:
I don't understand why we need time in order to observe events in an ordered sequence. If we didn't have time in the way we think of it now, how would the events be observed? Would they somehow be different? Would they not occur in the order they do now?
My guess is that we're not changing the order. There seem to be good reasons to believe that we're just charting or indexing it. So, the order of our historical records conforms, more or less, to the order of the evolution of our Universe.

Sometimes the word time is used to refer to reality as it unfolds via our streams of consciousness and sometimes it's used to refer to our records of reality. We can get the two mixed up if we're not careful, and maybe this is where our common sense ideas about traveling forward and backward in time come from -- as if time is something that we can zip around in like we do wrt our recollections of the past and projections about the future, as if, say, 1967 San Francisco is 'out there' somewhere right now. But, alas, I don't think it is.

General relativity seems to allow for time travel, but it seems destined to be replaced by a theory incorporating wave or particle (or both) dynamics which would seem to be a closer approximation to the apparently evolving and transitory Universe that we are part of -- and in a Universe like that, then time travel wouldn't be possible.

Sapientiam said:
I understand we need time to help us as humans understand and measure the differences between "two points in time" but this is strictly for our use. Is the universe somehow aware that there was a past?
The past seems to determine the future. The evolution of our Universe seems to proceed in the general direction away from past spatial configurations. There seems to be an 'arrow of time'.

Sapientiam said:
... we created the concept of time to measure the "fastness" and "slowness" of things, but time isn't needed for these "things" to exist is what I'm saying.
I agree, but time is needed if the word 'time' is taken to be synonymous with the evolution of the Universe. And, as you've suggested, and I also agree with, our 'time-indexes' don't seem to be changing the general order of change.

Sapientiam said:
Time is an index of change or motion? I'm probably wrong but does this somehow mean that the past is being recorded? How is this possible?
Movies, videos, a sequence of photos, time-stamped data streams, whatever is happening in our brains to process our stream-of-consciousness data to produce our recollections of the past, etc.

Sapientiam said:
What information does this time index hold?
Different time indexes hold different information, depending on velocities and accelerations, etc. This is one reason why a theory like SR is so helpful. It gets everybody on the 'same page', so to speak -- so we can translate from one frame of reference to another.

Sapientiam said:
To make it simple let's say the traveler traveled for 10 Earth-Sun years but only aged 5. How did he count 10 years in only 5 years of aging?
He kept a powerful telescope focused on our Solar System.

Sapientiam said:
Would he notice he wasn't aging as fast?
Supposedly, he wouldn't feel any different than if he had stayed on Earth, except that he would feel any accelerations.

Things inside the spaceship would seem normal. Things outside the spaceship would look a bit weird. If he was continuously recording the feed from the telescope fixed on our Solar System he would see a rather wide range of planetary orbital rates wrt his outbound and inbound accelerations -- but as he landed he would have counted the same 10 years as those who stayed on Earth, even though his ship clocks and his internal 'clocks' would have accumulated only 5 years.

Sapientiam said:
Would it feel like 10 years passed by to him?
Supposedly, no.

Sapientiam said:
Where are the 5 missing years that he didn't age?
The periods of his internal oscillators, and any external oscillators moving with him, were lengthened wrt their periods when on Earth. He, and any 'clocks' moving with him changed less, marked less time, than those that remained on Earth.

Sapientiam said:
If he aged twice as slow, in the same amount of time, how does the slowing of time explain how he counted 10 years?
Inside his ship he counted 5 years. Wrt the Earth-Sun system he counted 10 years.

Sapientiam said:
It seems to me that, the faster you go, the longer the oscillations take, the longer it takes for the change to occur. This wouldn't really be slowing down time, but slowing down change...?
That's the same thing, isn't it?

Sapientiam said:
I don't know. It might be the way I think of the word, generally when I use it I think of an abstract idea that doesn't actually exist but is useful in describing something, but I don't think that's the definition for concept. I'll see if I can find a better word :P
I don't know. I didn't look it up. But I think of ideas as spatial configurations that physically exist somewhere -- even if it's only inside our brains.

Sapientiam said:
Isn't this partially what you are saying? Moving faster/slower speeds time up/down?
Acceleration, apparently, affects the periods of oscillators. So, oscillators with different acceleration histories will have different accumulations of oscillations.

Sapientiam said:
How does it not become a problem?
Ok, maybe it is a problem.

From our perspective inside our Universe, fapp, "... everything, everywhere is at a different point in time ...", as you said -- because the speed of light is finite.

So, to deal with our Universe as a whole, its constituents and overall spatial configuration at any given time or instant, and its evolution, it's necessary to adopt a 'birds-eye' view of things.
I think. I don't really know. Check with the Cosmology and Astrophysics people. :smile:

Sapientiam said:
Aren't the ordered sequences of events going to happen even if we don't measure them (with time)? Would they somehow not happen?

Jarle said:
That is like saying

"Don't objects have length even though we don't measure them (with distance)? Would they somehow not have length?"

As you can see it is meaningless to say that time does not exist. Time is the ordering of the sequence of events we know to happen which as a part of its definition is the necessary medium for us to experience events. How we measure events does not have anything to do with the 'existence' of time.

I don't understand how it's meaningless to say time doesn't exist. Time=!Distance, so the comparison's aren't equal. Distance has physical qualities that can be seen, time is just a convenient invisible solution to a problem. Everything your saying is only from human perspective. Yes we need time to understand and conceptualize our universe but that doesn't mean it exists. If we didn't exist, "time" wouldn't exist either, nothing would be "indexing" the universe. Plus, we're indexing basically nothing in comparison to the size of the universe.

Sapientiam said:
I would theorize that if they decelerated at the same rate and stopped at the same time, they would see the same time on both of their clocks.

Jarle said:
Stopped?

You know what I mean :P Basically the more they slow down, the smaller the gap in the clocks.

Sapientiam said:

SixNein said:
Perception wise, light takes time to get to you. If your a very long distance from someone, you'll see them in the past.

My explanations pretty much sucked on this, so I would honestly suggest that you go to that link I pasted. Their explanations of the effect is so much better then mine lol.

It covers both aging and different perceptions of events.

I did read it, it was the same examples with different wording. I will post some excerpts from the article and break them down in the end of this post.

Sapientiam said:
I don't understand why we need time in order to observe events in an ordered sequence. If we didn't have time in the way we think of it now, how would the events be observed? Would they somehow be different? Would they not occur in the order they do now?

ThomasT said:
My guess is that we're not changing the order. There seem to be good reasons to believe that we're just charting or indexing it. So, the order of our historical records conforms, more or less, to the order of the evolution of our Universe.

Sometimes the word time is used to refer to reality as it unfolds via our streams of consciousness and sometimes it's used to refer to our records of reality. We can get the two mixed up if we're not careful, and maybe this is where our common sense ideas about traveling forward and backward in time come from -- as if time is something that we can zip around in like we do wrt our recollections of the past and projections about the future, as if, say, 1967 San Francisco is 'out there' somewhere right now. But, alas, I don't think it is.

General relativity seems to allow for time travel, but it seems destined to be replaced by a theory incorporating wave or particle (or both) dynamics which would seem to be a closer approximation to the apparently evolving and transitory Universe that we are part of -- and in a Universe like that, then time travel wouldn't be possible.

So essentially all "indexing" is is a function of consciousness. I don't see how indexing proves "time" exists beyond the concept we hold in our mind.

Sapientiam said:
I understand we need time to help us as humans understand and measure the differences between "two points in time" but this is strictly for our use. Is the universe somehow aware that there was a past?

ThomasT said:
The past seems to determine the future. The evolution of our Universe seems to proceed in the general direction away from past spatial configurations. There seems to be an 'arrow of time'.

Every sentence says "seems" :) Anyway, how does the past determine the future? That only seems to hold true for conscious beings. Why because the Universe is expanding outwards does that mean that there is an "arrow of time"? As I said before, if time doesn't exist would things not follow the path they are now?

Sapientiam said:
... we created the concept of time to measure the "fastness" and "slowness" of things, but time isn't needed for these "things" to exist is what I'm saying.

ThomasT said:
I agree, but time is needed if the word 'time' is taken to be synonymous with the evolution of the Universe. And, as you've suggested, and I also agree with, our 'time-indexes' don't seem to be changing the general order of change.

Yes I agree. We need "time" to measure the overall evolution of the Universe, but that does not mean time exists in the sense that it is "slowing" and "speeding" up. If this was true it would be impossible to tell when anything actually happened. Think about it. Imagine 5 billion years ago a sun was moving "slowly" through time so that it took 10 billion years to get where it would have been in 1 billion. How would we be able to tell? We couldn't. Think beyond this, as I said before if time "exists" that means everything is at a different point in time. Imagine if a black hole was created during the big bang, that would mean that we have something that is ~1 second old(ignore the math) even while our Universe is ~13B years old. How does this make sense? Can we tell what point in time things are at? If not, how do we figure out what time we're actually in or how old the universe actually is? This opens up some major holes in logic.

Sapientiam said:
Time is an index of change or motion? I'm probably wrong but does this somehow mean that the past is being recorded? How is this possible?

ThomasT said:
Movies, videos, a sequence of photos, time-stamped data streams, whatever is happening in our brains to process our stream-of-consciousness data to produce our recollections of the past, etc.

Yes this is to help us, does it have any use beyond this function?

Sapientiam said:
What information does this time index hold?

ThomasT said:
Different time indexes hold different information, depending on velocities and accelerations, etc. This is one reason why a theory like SR is so helpful. It gets everybody on the 'same page', so to speak -- so we can translate from one frame of reference to another.

Yes I understand as humans we need time to measure things, etc., but as I said before, how does that prove that time exists?

Sapientiam said:
To make it simple let's say the traveler traveled for 10 Earth-Sun years but only aged 5. How did he count 10 years in only 5 years of aging?

ThomasT said:

You see how this example is falling apart now right? He couldn't count 10 years, he would need to base it on something else. And a telescope wouldn't help :)

Sapientiam said:
Would he notice he wasn't aging as fast?

ThomasT said:
Supposedly, he wouldn't feel any different than if he had stayed on Earth, except that he would feel any accelerations.

Things inside the spaceship would seem normal. Things outside the spaceship would look a bit weird. If he was continuously recording the feed from the telescope fixed on our Solar System he would see a rather wide range of planetary orbital rates wrt his outbound and inbound accelerations -- but as he landed he would have counted the same 10 years as those who stayed on Earth, even though his ship clocks and his internal 'clocks' would have accumulated only 5 years.

As he landed he would have counted the same 10 years? How would he? Wouldn't he only notice 10 years had passed after he landed and saw what year it was?

Sapientiam said:
Would it feel like 10 years passed by to him?

ThomasT said:
Supposedly, no.

Understood.

Sapientiam said:
Where are the 5 missing years that he didn't age?

ThomasT said:
The periods of his internal oscillators, and any external oscillators moving with him, were lengthened wrt their periods when on Earth. He, and any 'clocks' moving with him changed less, marked less time, than those that remained on Earth.

Doesn't this prove my point? His oscillations were lengthened, making aging take "longer" in comparison to people on Earth. We measure the time with change. We compare the clocks on Earth to the clock on the ship. Without these physical representations, how would we know the difference in "time"? We couldn't. So doesn't it seem like a bit of a logic jump to use time to measure change once we get into these situations?

Sapientiam said:
If he aged twice as slow, in the same amount of time, how does the slowing of time explain how he counted 10 years?

ThomasT said:
Inside his ship he counted 5 years. Wrt the Earth-Sun system he counted 10 years.

Basically "he" didn't count 10 years because he couldn't have. He got back to Earth and saw that it was 5 years later than what he thought it would be. He only believes an extra 5 years has passed because change was occurring for him twice as slow. The person isn't somehow in a different point in time.

Sapientiam said:
It seems to me that, the faster you go, the longer the oscillations take, the longer it takes for the change to occur. This wouldn't really be slowing down time, but slowing down change...?

ThomasT said:
That's the same thing, isn't it?

Is it? Which do we use to measure the other one? We use change to measure time and set a standard. We can't use time to measure change and set a standard. Ask NIST. They don't measure time, they create it.

Sapientiam said:
Isn't this partially what you are saying? Moving faster/slower speeds time up/down?

ThomasT said:
Acceleration, apparently, affects the periods of oscillators. So, oscillators with different acceleration histories will have different accumulations of oscillations.

This is where the problem is occurring. We use an atomic clock to set the standard for how fast oscillations should happen. Then we use this "standard" to measure and compare "time". What if we set the standard on Jupiter instead? Would that somehow mean that we're all moving through time slower, just because we're using a different standard? We need to look at how we're using "time" in a bigger picture. Everything is at the same "point" in time, if they weren't how would they interact with each other in our current definition of time? Things that are "farther back" in time don't interact with "older" versions of objects, they interact with the current versions.

Sapientiam said:
How does it not become a problem?

ThomasT said:
Ok, maybe it is a problem.

From our perspective inside our Universe, fapp, "... everything, everywhere is at a different point in time ...", as you said -- because the speed of light is finite.

So, to deal with our Universe as a whole, its constituents and overall spatial configuration at any given time or instant, and its evolution, it's necessary to adopt a 'birds-eye' view of things.
I think. I don't really know. Check with the Cosmology and Astrophysics people.

That's what I'm trying to get a view of. I don't understand how everything could be in a different point in time but still be in the "present" too. This seems like an obvious contradiction to me.

How can we tell the difference between slowing time and slowing change? We use change to measure time, not the other way around. So is it correct to say time is dilating, or that change is slowing down? It seems like we're making a pretty large jump in logic here.

Second, I understand that time is relevant to us and is required for us to understand the advanced concepts of our universe but does it need to be in our equations that should be independent of human perspective? Human perspective means nothing in the bigger picture of the universe.

It seems to me that time slowing is just an illusion to humans because of the way our brains conceptualize time.

Time Dilation Article said:
In the special theory of relativity, a moving clock is found to be ticking slowly with respect to the observer's clock. If Sam and Abigail are on different trains in near-lightspeed relative motion, Sam measures (by all methods of measurement) clocks on Abigail's train to be running slowly and, similarly, Abigail measures clocks on Sam's train to be running slowly.

I believe this is the example that was converted earlier. Once again, "clocks" which are actually just a measure of change are being used. In addition if your moving at those speeds your viewing an older version of their clock, which is why to both observers it seems that the other person's clock is running slow.

Time Dilation Article said:
In contrast, gravitational time dilation (as treated in general relativity) is not reciprocal: an observer at the top of a tower will observe that clocks at ground level tick slower, and observers on the ground will agree. Thus gravitational time dilation is agreed upon by all observers, independent of their altitude.

This almost proves what I'm trying to explain. Gravity still affects rate of change but because the people aren't moving and seeing things "later" they see the same thing. Let me draw an example.

Let's say there is a point in space where gravity is extremely large. Place someone in that point with a clock. Place an observer 4 feet away and let's say the gravity doesn't affect him for some reason (use your imagination). The clock would tick slower, but both of them would still see the same time. The observer would see the clock ticking slower and the person moving slower. For the person in the gravitational pull "time" would still be passing as normal(assuming for some reason he wasn't crushed to nothingness).

I don't understand how it's meaningless to say time doesn't exist. Time=!Distance, so the comparison's aren't equal. Distance has physical qualities that can be seen, time is just a convenient invisible solution to a problem. Everything your saying is only from human perspective. Yes we need time to understand and conceptualize our universe but that doesn't mean it exists. If we didn't exist, "time" wouldn't exist either, nothing would be "indexing" the universe. Plus, we're indexing basically nothing in comparison to the size of the universe.

It was a proper analogy. You cannot see the physical quality of distance at all! You are defining a concept 'distance' and apply it to objects around you. Just because it is easier to think about doesn't make them different in a fundamental way. Everything we can say is from a human perspective, distance, volume and time are all human concepts. Time is a concept of the ordered sequence of events which is necessary for human experience. As we do experience, time must 'exist'.

Last edited:
"Time exists" is an oxymoron.

Jarle said:
It was a proper analogy. You cannot see the physical quality of distance at all! You are defining a concept 'distance' and apply it to objects around you. Just because it is easier to think about doesn't make them different in a fundamental way. Everything we can say is from a human perspective, distance, volume and time are all human concepts. Time is a concept of the ordered sequence of events which is necessary for human experience. As we do experience, time must 'exist'.

Let's look at the two concepts that we're defining, one concept is even being used to define the other.

Standard distance = meter.
Standard time = second.

Meter = Distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 seconds.
Second = Duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

So, Meter = Distance light travels in a vacuum, on Earth, in 1/299,792,458 of the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

Now, instead of the typical clock examples used for explaining physics let's use the caesium atom, the standard for time. Let's say we put a caesium atom on a ship moving at speeds near the speed of light. Would we say time slowed down for the caesium atom? How could you say that if it's the caesium atom that's defining time? You can't. What you can say is "...relative to the unmoving caesium atom on Earth..." So why is the caesium atom on Earth the standard for time? Wouldn't it be better to use something that has the least amount of external influence? At least then we could have a base. It seems to me that we are trying to define the Universe using standards that are only true on Earth.

Phrak said:
"Time exists" is an oxymoron.

True that.

sapientiam said:
So essentially all "indexing" is is a function of consciousness.
Pretty much everything we do is a function of consciousness, isn't it? The fact that you indexed something, either just internally or by making a publicly observable record, implies that you were aware of it, doesn't it?

But anyway, that's not the point we're pondering here -- at least I don't think it is.

You're saying that time doesn't exist. But I'm having difficulty understanding how you're using the word, 'time'.

If the word, 'time', refers to our individual streams of consciousness, our subjective apprehensions and private records of the world, and also to our public, objective records of the world, then it's sort of obvious that time exists.

sapientiam said:
I don't see how indexing proves "time" exists beyond the concept we hold in our mind.
Public, objective records. In SR the time of an event is the reading on a clock in the same frame of reference as the event. This is also one of the meanings of time in ordinary language. If you recorded a sequence of events, say with a video camera, and their associated times, then you'd have an objective time index of that set of events. Even without associating clock readings with frames of the video sequence, the video sequence itself is a time index of whatever it is that you're videotaping.

The problem is not 'proving' that time exists. We're just asking what the word 'time' means. How do we use the word? What does it refer to? Obviously it refers to something, and we're sorting out what that something is (or those somethings are, as the case may be).

sapientiam said:
... how does the past determine the future?
That's what the physical sciences are trying to learn.

sapientiam said:
That only seems to hold true for conscious beings.
Presumably, we emerged from and are ultimately constrained by the same fundamental dynamics that produced planets and stars and atoms and rocks and etc.

sapientiam said:
Why because the Universe is expanding outwards does that mean that there is an "arrow of time"?
The arrow of time refers to a preferred direction of change -- away from the past. We see that the past is different from the present. We see that the distant past was very different from the present -- and the very distant past even more different.

Another way to say this is that any particular instantaneous spatial configuration (eg., any photograph) of a large enough portion of our world, in an ordered set of, say, 10^10 photographs, is different from every other photograph in the set. They're all unique. If we compare photo 1000 to photo 1010 the differences are small. If we compare photo 1000 to photo 1,000,000 the differences are much greater. Photo 10^9 +1 will be unlike any previous photo, but it will be very similar to it's immediate neighbors in the sequence.

sapientiam said:
As I said before, if time doesn't exist would things not follow the path they are now?
But time does exist. It's a word, and that word refers to something. 'Time' has both technical and ordinary language meanings.

sapientiam said:
We need "time" to measure the overall evolution of the Universe, but that does not mean time exists in the sense that it is "slowing" and "speeding" up.
We use clocks of one sort or another, and make ordered records (time or clock indexes) of astronomical data. Time refers to both the (local) clock indexed data regarding astronomical evolutions and and to the astronomical evolutions themselves.

I don't know exactly what you're getting at with the second part ("slowing and speeding up") of your statement.

Apparently the universe has expanded/evolved at variable rates during its history.

sapientiam said:
If this was true it would be impossible to tell when anything actually happened.
If what was true?

We take photos or movies, or in other ways record events, of the world and time stamp them according to some convention.

sapientiam said:
Imagine 5 billion years ago a sun was moving "slowly" through time so that it took 10 billion years to get where it would have been in 1 billion.
You lost me here.

Things aren't moving "through time" as if time is something that exists independent of the motion or evolution of things.

sapientiam said:
How would we be able to tell? We couldn't.
Tell what? Do you mean that we don't have any absolute measure of duration or time interval? I agree.

The important thing is that we 'keep time' according to the same conventions.

sapientiam said:
... as I said before if time "exists" that means everything is at a different point in time.
I agreed with this before, but I've changed my mind. I'm not sure what it means.

But I'll say this. I can take a photo of the room I'm in at 8 pm, Wednesday, March 18, 2009 and say that the unique spatial configuration of the objects depicted in the photo correspond to my local time mentioned above. I also assume that there is a unique spatial configuration of my city, and state, and the USA, and the Earth, and the Solar System, ... and the Universe, corresponding to my local time mentioned above -- no matter what rate any of these systems might be 'changing' at according to my local clock.

sapientiam said:
Imagine if a black hole was created during the big bang, that would mean that we have something that is ~1 second old(ignore the math) even while our Universe is ~13B years old. How does this make sense?
It doesn't. If something created at the same instant our Universe was created is still around, then it's the same age as our Universe.

sapientiam said:
Can we tell what point in time things are at?
Yes, we refer to our time indexed historical records.

sapientiam said:
... how do we figure out what time we're actually in or how old the universe actually is?
I don't know exactly how they do that. It's is a question for the astrophysics forum.

sapientiam said:

ThomasT said:

sapientiam said:
Yes this is to help us, does it have any use beyond this function?
Entertainment? Again, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're getting at.

sapientiam said:
... I understand as humans we need time to measure things, etc., but as I said before, how does that prove that time exists?
What does the word, 'time', mean to you? How are you using the word?

If time refers to a clock reading, or a set thereof, or if time refers to the evolution of reality, then time exists.

sapientiam said:

ThomasT said:

sapientiam said:
You see how this example is falling apart now right? He couldn't count 10 years, he would need to base it on something else. And a telescope wouldn't help :)
Yes he would count 10 revolutions of the Earth around the Sun. But the movie made vis the continual telescope feed would show a rather more erratic evolution of the Earth-Sun system for those 10 years than the steady one that those who stayed on Earth would observe.

sapientiam said:
As he landed he would have counted the same 10 years? How would he? Wouldn't he only notice 10 years had passed after he landed and saw what year it was?
He was continually viewing the Solar System through his telescope. The Earth would appear to move slower around the Sun as he accelerated away from the Earth, and it would appear to speed up as he turned around and decelerated to the Earth.

sapientiam said:
... doesn't it seem like a bit of a logic jump to use time to measure change once we get into these situations?
We associate the motion of certain systems with the motion of certain other systems. As long as we're all using the same standards and conventions, then we can communicate

sapientiam said:
Basically "he" didn't count 10 years because he couldn't have. He got back to Earth and saw that it was 5 years later than what he thought it would be.
No, he was continually looking through his telescope and counted the same 10 Earth-Sun revolutions that his Earthbound friends did. But on landing and checking the ship's clock, he noticed that it had only counted 5 years for the trip. He also noticed that his Earthbound friends seemed to have aged more than him, or he less than them during the 10 years of the trip.

sapientiam said:
He only believes an extra 5 years has passed because change was occurring for him twice as slow.
During his trip the Earth went around the Sun 10 times. This is as true for him as for those who stayed on Earth. But his internal oscillators and his ship's clock accumulated only half the number of oscillations that they would have had he stayed on Earth for those 10 years.

sapientiam said:
We can't use time to measure change and set a standard. Ask NIST. They don't measure time, they create it.
We associate the motion of certain systems with the motion of certain other systems. We agree to certain standards and conventions regarding an 'official' time. And we use this, and extrapolations of it, when talking about everything. It facilitates unambiguous communication.

sapientiam said:
This is where the problem is occurring. We use an atomic clock to set the standard for how fast oscillations should happen. Then we use this "standard" to measure and compare "time". What if we set the standard on Jupiter instead?
That would be a problem.

sapientiam said:
Would that somehow mean that we're all moving through time slower, just because we're using a different standard?
We're not moving "through time". We're just moving. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. As is everything in the Universe.

sapientiam said:
We need to look at how we're using "time" in a bigger picture. Everything is at the same "point" in time, if they weren't how would they interact with each other in our current definition of time?
I agree.

sapientiam said:
Things that are "farther back" in time don't interact with "older" versions of objects, they interact with the current versions.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The way I think about it, and what your previous statement seems to be in line with, is that the past doesn't exist except as historical records. There's a unique spatial configuration of the Universe corresponding to any given "point in time", and these spatial configurations are transitory, continually changing. What we call "the present" or "now" is just our record(s) of the most recent spatial configurations.

sapientiam said:
I don't understand how everything could be in a different point in time but still be in the "present" too. This seems like an obvious contradiction to me.
I agree. It would be a contradiction.

sapientiam said:
How can we tell the difference between slowing time and slowing change?
They're the same thing I think. We're just using the different words depending on the context.

sapientiam said:
We use change to measure time, not the other way around.
See above.

sapientiam said:
So is it correct to say time is dilating, or that change is slowing down?
If that's what's happening, then yes.

sapientiam said:
Second, I understand that time is relevant to us and is required for us to understand the advanced concepts of our universe but does it need to be in our equations that should be independent of human perspective?
Afaik, the basic equations of motion are time independent.

sapientiam said:
It seems to me that time slowing is just an illusion to humans because of the way our brains conceptualize time.
Sometimes it's just the symmetric artifact of convention, and sometimes two identical clocks will accumulate different times due to different acceleration histories.

This thread has really gone all over the map. I thought this was going to be a discussion more along the lines of whether or not a concept can be said to "exist" but that was not the case.

Many of the questions seem a better fit for our Relativity forum. I have moved the last post over there to get things started.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=301036

Last edited: