Does Virtue Extend Beyond Monetary Value in Modern Society?

• Thread starter coberst
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of virtue and how it is perceived in society. The speaker mentions the market as a determining factor for the value of higher education, which leads to a discussion of the abstract and moralistic use of the term 'virtue'. John Dewey's definition of virtue as a talent used to enhance social values is brought up, and examples of individuals such as Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and George Soros are given as embodiments of this concept. The question is raised whether the market is the only means of determining value in society. Ultimately, the conversation suggests that the best things in life, such as virtue, are not measured by monetary value.
coberst
What is the Virtue of ‘Virtue’?

I was listening to NPR and the speaker said something to the effect ‘let the market decide the value of our higher education system…and the market appears to think that our higher education system is doing a fine job’. Who or what determines values in our society?

“There is a tendency to use the term ‘virtue’ in an abstract “moralistic” sense—a way that makes it almost Pharisaic in character.”--John Dewey My first thought after reading this and ‘looking up’ the word ‘Pharisaic’ (self-righteous) turns to William Bennett, gambler, ideologue, czar, and author of “The Book of Virtues”.

John Dewey wrote the above quote about virtue in his book “Ethics”. He further identifies the concept ‘virtue’ to mean a talent turned toward enhancing social values. Dewey says “every natural capacity, every talent or ability, whether of inquiring mind, of gentle affection, or of executive skill, becomes a virtue when it is turned to account in supporting or extending the fabric of social values.”

When I read recently that Warren Buffet had given thirty billion dollars to the Gates charitable foundation I thought immediately of Dewey’s conception of the word ‘virtue’. I remembered having discussed Dewey’s concept of virtue in a Great Books Discussion Group decades ago.

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates have manifested for us the Dewey concept of virtue. Two individuals who have used their respective talents to make scads of money have then turned that money into a virtue by placing that wealth toward “extending the fabric of social values”.

I will include George Soros with Buffet and Gates. Soros, philosopher/tycoon in my judgment, started many decades ago The Open Society Foundation. This foundation began in 1979 when Soros’ foundation provided scholarships to African students for their enrolment to the University of Cape Town in South Africa.

Money is not the metric of value here but is a medium for converting the unique and wonderful talents of these three men into a virtue. I never before thought of these men as being exemplars of virtue but I certainly do now.

Is it wise to allow the market to set the standard of value for our colleges and universities?

It seems to me that the only value the market knows is ‘cash value’.

Does there exist in our society any other means for determining the value of anything? Is the market our ‘default’ position for determining value for most everything?

Physics news on Phys.org
in other words, the best things in life are free?

I appreciate the thought-provoking nature of this question. The concept of virtue has been debated and defined by philosophers for centuries, and it is interesting to see how it is viewed in our modern society.

Firstly, I believe it is important to clarify that virtue is not simply a moralistic term, as Dewey mentions. It goes beyond being self-righteous or following a set of rules. Virtue, as Dewey defines it, is the cultivation and use of our natural talents and abilities towards enhancing social values. In other words, it is a way of contributing positively to society and making a meaningful impact.

In the case of Buffet, Gates, and Soros, their immense wealth is not what makes them virtuous. It is their use of that wealth towards philanthropic efforts and social causes that exemplifies virtue. They have used their talents and resources to make a positive impact and contribute to the betterment of society. This is a prime example of how virtue can be manifested in our modern world, and it goes beyond just monetary value.

As for the market determining the value of higher education, I believe it is important to consider multiple factors. While the market may see higher education as a valuable commodity, it is also important to consider the societal benefits of having an educated population. Higher education not only provides individuals with knowledge and skills, but it also contributes to the progress and advancement of society as a whole. Therefore, I believe a balance must be struck between market value and societal value when determining the worth of higher education.

In conclusion, while the market may play a role in determining certain values in our society, it is not the only determining factor. Virtue, as defined by Dewey, goes beyond monetary value and encompasses the use of our talents and resources towards enhancing social values. It is important to recognize and appreciate individuals who exemplify virtue in our society, and to also consider societal values when making decisions.

Related to Does Virtue Extend Beyond Monetary Value in Modern Society?

1. What is the definition of virtue in science?

In science, virtue is often defined as a positive quality or trait that is deemed morally or ethically good. It can also refer to a behavior or action that is considered beneficial or advantageous.

2. How is virtue measured in scientific studies?

Virtue is often measured through various methods such as self-reporting, observation, and experimental tasks. For example, researchers may use questionnaires to assess individuals' self-perception of their own virtues, while others may use observational studies to measure virtues in real-life situations.

3. What are some examples of virtues that are commonly studied in science?

Some commonly studied virtues in science include honesty, compassion, courage, wisdom, and self-control. These virtues are often associated with positive outcomes such as better mental health, stronger relationships, and improved overall well-being.

4. Can virtues be learned or developed?

Yes, virtues can be learned and developed through various practices such as mindfulness, self-reflection, and role-modeling. Research has shown that individuals can improve their virtues through intentional effort and practice.

5. How do virtues impact society?

Virtues can have a significant impact on society as they promote positive behaviors and actions that contribute to the well-being of individuals and communities. For example, virtues such as empathy and kindness can lead to stronger and more harmonious relationships, while virtues like diligence and perseverance can contribute to societal progress and success.