Does volts and amps get at half while charging multiple batteries?

In summary, the solar panel rated at 100w 12v can deliver a maximum power of 5.8A at 12v or 5.52A at 17.78v. If charging two 50ah batteries in parallel, each battery will receive half of the current (2.76A at 12v or 2.76A at 17.78v). It is recommended to charge batteries separately to ensure better treatment and maximize their lifespan.
Panamanian
Hi guys (and gals)

Say, i have a solar panel rated at 100w 12v with the following specs:

Short circult current(Isc): 6.01A
Open circuit voltage(Voc): 21.5V
Optimum operating current: (Imp) 5.52A
Optimum operating voltage: (Vmp) 17.78v
Maximum power: (Pmax) 100W

And I decide to charge two 50ah batteries (each), from full discharged both, Does that mean that the voltage or amps will be split to half? (for each battery) or will both batteries receive the same (maximum) voltage and amp as if i was just charging one single battery with the same solar panel?

Also, if this panel is charging batteries or a battery, what's the maximum power it will be delivering (while providing energy) 17.78v? or 12v? or 21.5v? or what?
What for the amps too?

Gracias a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have two batteries, identical in all respects, and you charge them as a parallel pair, then each will get half of the current from the solar panel. Each will get the full voltage. HOWEVER, as your batteries will never be identical, it is not a good idea to simply parallel them.

At 17.78v your panel, under the ideal conditions that the manufacturer tested it, can deliver 5.52A.
Power = V·I
At 12v expect to get fractionally more than 5.5A, maybe 5.8A.
At 21.5v you can't draw much current at all, that is the open-circuit voltage; draw any current and the voltage will fall away.

It is generally better to charge the batteries separately; the high cost & limited life of secondary batteries, compared with the cheap cost of electronics, means it is worth treating the batteries well.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between volts and amps while charging multiple batteries?

When charging multiple batteries, the voltage and amperage are inversely related. This means that as the voltage increases, the amperage decreases, and vice versa. This is known as Ohm's Law and is a fundamental principle in electricity.

2. Why do volts and amps decrease when charging multiple batteries?

The decrease in voltage and amperage while charging multiple batteries is due to the resistance in the circuit. As more batteries are added, the overall resistance increases, causing a decrease in voltage and amperage. This is why it is important to use the appropriate charger for the number and type of batteries being charged.

3. Can I use a higher voltage charger to charge multiple batteries faster?

It is not recommended to use a higher voltage charger to charge multiple batteries faster. Doing so can cause damage to the batteries and potentially create a fire hazard. It is important to always use the appropriate charger for the type and number of batteries being charged.

4. Is it safe to charge multiple batteries at once?

Yes, it is generally safe to charge multiple batteries at once as long as the charger is appropriate for the batteries and the batteries are not damaged or defective. It is important to monitor the charging process and follow all safety precautions to prevent any accidents.

5. How do I know when my multiple batteries are fully charged?

The best way to determine when multiple batteries are fully charged is to use a battery charger with a built-in voltage regulator. This will automatically stop charging when the batteries reach their optimal voltage level. If using a charger without a voltage regulator, it is important to monitor the batteries and check the voltage periodically to ensure they are not overcharged, which can lead to damage or reduced battery life.