Does work account for direction when considering only KE?

In summary: There is a difference.In summary, the question asks for the amount of net work required to change the velocity of a 60 g particle from -20 m/s to 40 m/s. The author initially attempts to solve the problem by adding the initial and final kinetic energies, but realizes that the correct method is to subtract the initial kinetic energy from the final. This leads to a discussion about the concept of work and how it may vary in different frames of reference. The author concludes that the work required in this scenario is 36 J.
Keeby

Homework Statement

A 60 g particle is moving to the left at 20 m/s . How much net work must be done on the particle to cause it to move to the right at 40 m/s ?

Homework Equations

1/2 mv^2 = KE, W = ΔE

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial method of solving this problem was to take the initial kinetic energy: 1/2 (60/1000) 20^2, and the final kinetic energy: 1/2 (60/1000) 40^2, then to find the work I would add the two, since they are opposite directions. This nets 60 J of work, but the answer is 36 J.

I'm aware that the correct way to find the solution to an equation like this is to take the final kinetic energy of the particle subtracted by the initial, but that simple method doesn't make conceptual sense to me. It seems like the solution to the problem would be the same if the particle was moving to the right at 20 m/s initially. But why? To give a simpler scenario: if a particle moves 1m/s, and another particle moves -1m/s, would the work it takes to move each particle to 2m/s be the same?

Now with a question like that comes other considerations. Work is the change of energy, but in a scenario like this, it might also be Fd. So how much force would it require to move a particle moving at -1 m/s to 1 m/s? over any distance, the work, from my understanding to the solution from this problem, -seems- to be 0. Meaning it takes 0 N of force to do this. Which just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The trouble is that work is not the same in all frames of reference, even if they are all inertial.
In the frame of reference of the original motion of the particle, you would calculate the work to accelerate the particle from rest to 60m/s.
In the ground frame, however, consider: is it possible for a force to change the velocity of the particle without doing work?
Note I wrote velocity, not speed.

Likes Student100

1. What is work and how is it related to direction in regards to kinetic energy?

Work in physics is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. When considering only kinetic energy, work accounts for direction by measuring the change in the object's velocity in a specific direction.

2. How does work affect the direction of an object's kinetic energy?

Work can change the direction of an object's kinetic energy by either increasing or decreasing its velocity in a certain direction. For example, work done on an object in the direction of its motion will increase its kinetic energy, while work done in the opposite direction will decrease its kinetic energy.

3. Does work always have to be in the same direction as an object's kinetic energy?

No, work can be done in different directions than an object's kinetic energy. However, when considering only kinetic energy, work must be done in the direction of the object's motion to increase its kinetic energy.

4. Can work be negative when considering only kinetic energy?

Yes, work can be negative when considering only kinetic energy if it is done in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This will result in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy.

5. How is the direction of work calculated when considering only kinetic energy?

The direction of work when considering only kinetic energy is calculated by determining the direction in which the object is moving and the direction in which the force is applied. If these two directions are the same, the work is positive. If they are opposite, the work is negative.