Doesn't the atom in ground state radiate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of whether an atom in ground state can radiate or not. One person believes that it can, while another person advises to trust textbooks and not unreliable sources. The discussion also touches on the idea of an atom absorbing energy from its environment. However, the conversation ends with a reminder to stick to professional scientific literature and not engage with incorrect theories.
thaiqi
Unacceptable reference deleted
According to textbooks, an atom in ground state doesn't radiate. Yet I got some other idea after reading Wu Ta-you's theoretical physics book. I hold the viewpoint that the atom does radiate, and at the same time it absorbs energy from heat radiation in its environment. The energy it radiates out and absorbs in balance. Am I correct or am I wrong? I eagerly appreciate everyone's reply. (For details, please visit <deleted>)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The site you linked to is full of nonsense. Believe your textbooks.

Likes BvU
Thanks for your reply, though it wasn't what I expected.
Don't you think in a real world, the atom will absorb energy from the heat radiation in its environment?

An atom in the ground state can absorb energy from the environment including thermal radiation. Once it has done so it will be excited and will no longer be in the ground state. An excited atom can radiate and go to a lower energy state, but an atom in the ground state cannot radiate since there is no lower energy state.

We do not discuss topics that are outside the professional scientific literature, so we cannot discuss the incorrect theory in your deleted link. Thread closed.

Likes BvU

1. What is the ground state of an atom?

The ground state of an atom is the lowest energy state that an electron can occupy within an atom. This means that the electron is in its lowest possible energy level and is closest to the nucleus.

2. Why doesn't the atom in ground state radiate?

The atom in ground state does not radiate because it is in a stable energy state. According to the laws of quantum mechanics, electrons can only emit or absorb energy in discrete amounts, known as quanta. In the ground state, the electron has the minimum amount of energy and is therefore unable to emit any radiation.

3. Can an atom in ground state ever emit radiation?

Yes, an atom in ground state can emit radiation if it is excited by an external energy source. This excites the electron to a higher energy level, and when the electron returns to its ground state, it releases the excess energy in the form of radiation.

4. How does the ground state of an atom affect its properties?

The ground state of an atom determines its size, chemical properties, and reactivity. Atoms in different ground states have different electron configurations, which affect how they interact with other atoms and molecules.

5. Can an atom be in a ground state and an excited state at the same time?

No, an atom can only be in one energy state at a time. When an atom is excited to a higher energy state, it is no longer in its ground state. However, it is possible for an atom to transition between different energy states, including the ground state, through the absorption or emission of energy.