Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Japan
In summary: Lord put animals on this earth to help us, and we should help them in return.Remember it now. It doesn't cost you much to be nice, and it often doesn't cost you much to be helpful when somebody is in need. That all comes back to you, especially if you live in a rural environment in which neighbors rely on neighbors to keep track...In summary, a dog was rescued from Japan, but one of the dogs is in really bad shape. The dogs were likely bonded and are dedicated to one another.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Don't worry, the dogs were rescued, but the one is in really bad shape. I hope they are reunited.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/dog-in-japan-stays-by-the-side-of-its-ailing-friend-in-the-rubble

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I want a dog like him :!):cry:

Animals take care of their own, and are more dedicated than humans.

turbo-1 said:

Oh really? No Humans are saving other humans during this tragedy?

This is why dogs are better than cats.

That was actually very touching, thanks for sharing. I remember seeing a video of a dog that was struck by a vehicle and that dogs mate was literally trying to drag it to the side of the road and out of harms way, it was also very very touching. I would see if I can find a link to that video but I found it really sad...

Evo, that video almost brought tears to my eyes, very poignant.

IMP said:
That was actually very touching, thanks for sharing. I remember seeing a video of a dog that was struck by a vehicle and that dogs mate was literally trying to drag it to the side of the road and out of harms way, it was also very very touching. I would see if I can find a link to that video but I found it really sad...

I think this is what you were referring to? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nkadPBEKFk

That is the one. I watched it again, I wish I hadn't...

malty said:
Evo, that video almost brought tears to my eyes, very poignant.

I think this is what you were referring to? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= OUTUBE]

I couldn't watch the original video. The description was enough. I told my wife about (she is aslo a dog lover) and said it was probably sad even though they both survived. She burst out in tears and had to leave the room. :rofl:

This freeway video...did that one die? I don't know why I even ask. I'm not watching it anyway.:shy:

turbo-1 said:

Hrmm...someones never been stalked before...talk about dedication...

But seriously, almost any animal that lives with others of its kind will be inclined to help out. It's usually for the good of the pack, or herd, or whatever you want to call it.

Drakkith said:
Hrmm...someones never been stalked before...talk about dedication...
Actually, I have been stalked by a class-mate of my youngest sister. She is currently in prison for felonious assault against a former lover, and will be there for decades. I understand dedication (fixation) all too well.

turbo-1 said:
Actually, I have been stalked by a class-mate of my youngest sister. She is currently in prison for felonious assault against a former lover, and will be there for decades. I understand dedication (fixation) all too well.

And my bad joke spoils like a rotten egg two weeks after easter...

Drakkith said:
And my bad joke spoils like a rotten egg two weeks after easter...
No worries. I grew up in a bucolic atmosphere (rural Maine) in perhaps the most poisonous town in the area. Lots of poverty, ignorance, lack of respect, etc that led to some really bad assaults.

When I could take off through the woods and trace trout-streams, fishing all the way, and get back in time for supper it was a good day. Even better if I returned with a stringer of brookies. You can't buy food like that.

turbo-1 said:
No worries. I grew up in a bucolic atmosphere (rural Maine) in perhaps the most poisonous town in the area. Lots of poverty, ignorance, lack of respect, etc that led to some really bad assaults.

When I could take off through the woods and trace trout-streams, fishing all the way, and get back in time for supper it was a good day. Even better if I returned with a stringer of brookies. You can't buy food like that.

Well, sounds like your sig certainly applies then. :tongue2:

Drakkith said:
Well, sounds like your sig certainly applies then. :tongue2:
I've pretty much got all the "nothing" that I started with, but I have friends and neighbors that are priceless. That's a big deal, especially when you're getting older.

turbo-1 said:
I've pretty much got all the "nothing" that I started with, but I have friends and neighbors that are priceless. That's a big deal, especially when you're getting older.

I'll have to remember that when I get older.

Drakkith said:
I'll have to remember that when I get older.
Remember it now. It doesn't cost you much to be nice, and it often doesn't cost you much to be helpful when somebody is in need. That all comes back to you, especially if you live in a rural environment in which neighbors rely on neighbors to keep track of one another.

We're derailing Evo's thread here, but it is natural (IMO) for some people to have empathy toward others, like some animals will set their own needs aside to care for another. Some animals that I have known have taken the dedication to some pretty impressive levels.

My dog knows that I am hurt (recent bad ankle sprain) and he checks in with me frequently during the day - he knows that there is something wrong, and he has to have some reassurance before he relaxes. Still, this nothing compared to the attention and nursing that our tiny <1.5# ferret that she lavished on the big boy who had a stroke. She was tireless.

MATLABdude said:
They certainly can. When I was a kid, my family's dog kept her eyes on me all the time that I was around. I could teach her a new word or a new command in minutes, sometimes. She was a too-young puppy mixed-breed that my uncle rescued from a logging-camp. Lady was a sweetie. ~50 year after meeting her, I miss her still.

turbo-1 said:
Remember it now. It doesn't cost you much to be nice, and it often doesn't cost you much to be helpful when somebody is in need. That all comes back to you, especially if you live in a rural environment in which neighbors rely on neighbors to keep track of one another.

We're derailing Evo's thread here, but it is natural (IMO) for some people to have empathy toward others, like some animals will set their own needs aside to care for another. Some animals that I have known have taken the dedication to some pretty impressive levels.

My dog knows that I am hurt (recent bad ankle sprain) and he checks in with me frequently during the day - he knows that there is something wrong, and he has to have some reassurance before he relaxes. Still, this nothing compared to the attention and nursing that our tiny <1.5# ferret that she lavished on the big boy who had a stroke. She was tireless.

Oh I understand and agree with you. I was actually making a sem-joke lol.

Here is a related article, with a small update of the status of the dogs towards the end:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/videoofloyaldoginjapanrevealscaninessocialroots;_ylt=AhmVHtG.PSRWUtatTc0S3G2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTRzZjViaWkyBGFzc2V0A2xpdmVzY2llbmNlLzIwMTEwMzE4L3ZpZGVvb2Zsb3lhbGRvZ2luamFwYW5yZXZlYWxzY2FuaW5lc3NvY2lhbHJvb3RzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDOARwb3MDNQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3ZpZGVvb2Zsb3lhbA--

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the story of the dog in Japan staying by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble?

The story is about a dog in Japan who refused to leave the side of its injured friend after the devastating earthquake and tsunami in 2011. The dog stayed by its friend's side for over a week until both were rescued by a rescue team.

How did the dog manage to survive in the rubble for over a week?

The dog most likely survived by scavenging for food and water in the rubble, as well as relying on its instincts and resourcefulness to find shelter and stay warm.

What was the condition of the ailing dog when it was finally rescued?

The ailing dog was reportedly severely injured and malnourished when it was finally rescued. However, both dogs were able to make a full recovery and were eventually adopted together by a loving family.

What can we learn from this story about the bond between animals?

This story highlights the incredible loyalty and compassion that animals, especially dogs, have for their friends and companions. It also shows that animals are capable of forming strong bonds and displaying empathy and selflessness, just like humans.

What are some ways that we can help animals affected by natural disasters?

There are several ways to help animals affected by natural disasters, such as donating to reputable animal rescue organizations, volunteering at shelters or rescue centers, and fostering or adopting displaced animals. It is also important to spread awareness and educate others about the importance of disaster preparedness for pets and other animals.