Doing badly in high school but want to go to uni for science

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's concerns about their calculus mark and its impact on their chances of getting into a good university for science. They also discussed the advantages of the IB program and the possibility of retaking the course if needed. It was noted that Canadian universities are more flexible with admissions for students with A-Levels or IB. The overall advice was to not stress too much and to keep working hard.
airbusman
Doing badly in high school but want to go to uni for science :(

Well, maybe I'm not doing TOO badly. You see, I am in the IB program, which is a rigirous high school program designed to simulate university. In this program, our final marks are basically determined by our exams, since our exams are worth 80%. In IB, we have predicted marks, which are based off your coursework, and final marks. If your predicted mark is, say, a 95, and you get a 70 on the final exam, your final mark will be around 75 or a high 70. If you get a predicted mark of a 100, and you get a 50 on the exam, you would get a very high 50. In other words, your predicted mark determines whether you get the low or high end of the range of your exam mark.

My predicted mark for calculus was a 96. HOWEVER, the exam, which was worth 80% just to reiterate, was a mess. My OCD flared, and I was worried about the smallest things, such as whether or not IB would receive my exam, or whether I wrote the numbers correctly, or whether I was even writing the correct exam! I wasn't 100% focused, but I did manage to answer every question in some way, except for the second paper, in which I left 2 questions blank.

I am very scared about my calculus mark now. I wanted to get into a science program in a good school in Ontario. However, if my calculus mark is low, I can't do that! Does anyone know of a way to get into a good uni for science with a low calc mark? I'm talking really low-what if I got something in the 50s?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless things have changed drastically, a single low mark will not prevent you from admission to a good university in Ontario provided you have a decent average. Undergraduate admissions tend to look at which courses you have taken (i.e. whether you got credit for them) and your average.

Another bit of advice I might offer is to try as much as possible to avoid fretting. You don't know what your mark was, so entertaining doomsday scenarios will only give you stress. Once you get it back, you can deal with it. If it is really low and you think it might effect your chances at admission, go talk with a guidance councillor. In an absolute worst case scenario, you don't get in anywhere and retake the course to upgrade your mark. Sure that would suck, but in the grand scheme of your life it would only be a minor wobble.

Most people in Canada do not get to do IB.

Acheiving 96 on an IB course is a wonderful accomplishment that gives me the indincation that, on your worst day, the lowest you can get is around 70.

Where as, if your 'prediction mark' was 80, then on your worst day you could get 55 or something. Do you get what I mean?

Whatever the case, you know more about calculus than at least 90% of people in your country at your age.

At any rate, Canadian universities will probably let you skip some intro courses provided you score 5 or above in HL subjects. (going off the top of my head here; check for specifics)

Entry requirements for people having done A-Levels or IB are significantly more lax than for those with a Canadian high school diploma. I know people who got into McGill, for e.g, with scores ranging from 28 to 31. Last I checked, one needed Bs in only two relevant A-Level subjects (for a physics degree, that's A-Level math and physics) to study at UWaterloo.

Therefore, keep working hard. Let the chips fall where they may. Being this neurotic will only complicate your life, haha!

At any rate, Canadian universities will probably let you skip some intro courses provided you score 5 or above in HL subjects. (going off the top of my head here; check for specifics)

Entry requirements for people having done A-Levels or IB are significantly more lax than for those with a Canadian high school diploma. I know people who got into McGill, for e.g, with scores ranging from 28 to 31. Last I checked, one needed Bs in only two relevant A-Level subjects (for a physics degree, that's A-Level math and physics) to study at UWaterloo.

Therefore, keep working hard. Let the chips fall. Being this neurotic will only complicate your life, haha!

Thanks for the good advice everyone. You know what, I've calmed down, and I've realized that if I do bad in calculus, I can always retake it. After all, two of my friends retook courses (one retook advanced functions while the other did advanced functions and calc) and they both made it into uni (Y).

What are my chances of getting into a university for science if I did poorly in high school?

Your chances may be lower than someone who did well in high school, but it is still possible to get into a university for science. Many universities have holistic admissions processes and consider factors beyond just grades. Additionally, you can improve your chances by excelling in other areas, such as extracurricular activities, or by taking additional courses or exams to demonstrate your interest and readiness for science.

Can I still pursue a career in science if I did not do well in high school?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in science even if you did not do well in high school. Your high school performance does not determine your entire future. You can still work hard and improve your skills and knowledge in science through other means, such as taking courses, gaining hands-on experience, or participating in research opportunities. Many successful scientists have had setbacks in their academic journey, but their determination and hard work led them to successful careers in science.

Will universities overlook my high school grades if I have a strong passion for science?

While high school grades are an important factor for university admissions, they are not the only factor. Universities also consider your passion and interest in science, as well as other factors such as your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities. If you can demonstrate your passion and potential for science through these other means, universities may be more willing to overlook your high school grades.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting into a university for science if I did poorly in high school?

There are several things you can do to improve your chances of getting into a university for science. First, you can retake classes or exams to improve your grades. You can also take additional courses or exams in science to demonstrate your interest and readiness. Additionally, you can gain hands-on experience or participate in research opportunities to show your passion for science. Lastly, you can work on developing strong personal statements and obtaining strong letters of recommendation to showcase your potential for success in science.

Are there any specific universities or programs that are more open to admitting students who did not do well in high school?

While there are no specific universities or programs that exclusively admit students who did not do well in high school, there are some that have more holistic admissions processes. These universities may consider other factors beyond just grades, such as personal statements and letters of recommendation. It may be helpful to research and target these universities or programs that have a more holistic approach to admissions in order to improve your chances of getting in.