Domain of a composite function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the domain of a composite function and how to do so by finding the domains of the individual functions involved and checking for values that satisfy both domains. The specific example given is h(g(x)) and the domain of g(x) is found to be x >= 5.
ilii

Homework Statement

Given the Functions
f(x)=4x-1
g(x)=3-2x^2
h(x)= sqrt (x+5)

What is the domain of h(g(x))?

Homework Equations

the subject is finding the domain of a composite function

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what I have to 'bring over' from g(x). I think x cannot equal zero for g(x). If someone could post a structured list of steps I need to take to find the domain of a composite function, it would be much appreciated.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The domain of a composite function [itex] (f \circ g)(x)=f(g(x)) [/itex] is defined as [itex] D(f\circ g)=\{x \epsilon D(g) | g(x) \epsilon D(f) \} [/itex]. So you should find the domains of f and g and check that for what subset of the domain of g, it gives values in the domain of f.

ilii said:

Homework Statement

Given the Functions
f(x)=4x-1
g(x)=3-2x^2
h(x)= sqrt (x+5)

What is the domain of h(g(x))?

Homework Equations

the subject is finding the domain of a composite function

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what I have to 'bring over' from g(x). I think x cannot equal zero for g(x).

thank you

Why do you think that? ##g(x)## is just a polynomial. What' wrong with ##g(0)##?
What is the formula for ##h(g(x))##? What values of ##x## work in that?

The domain of square root is "numbers greater than or equal to 0". h(x)= sqrt(x- 5) so the domain of h is "[itex]x- 5\ge 0[/itex] or [itex]x\ge 5[/itex]. That means that [itex]g(x)= 3- 2x^2[/itex] must give only values greater than or equal to 5. Can you solve [itex]3- 2x^2\ge 5[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone I understand it much better now :D

What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is formed by combining two or more functions. The output of one function becomes the input of the other function, creating a new function.

How do you find the domain of a composite function?

To find the domain of a composite function, you need to consider the domains of each individual function that make up the composite function. The domain of the composite function will be the intersection of the domains of the individual functions. In other words, it will be the set of all inputs that are valid for all the functions in the composite function.

Can the domain of a composite function be larger than the individual functions?

Yes, it is possible for the domain of a composite function to be larger than the individual functions. This can happen when the individual functions have overlapping domains, which allows for more input values to be valid for the composite function.

What happens if the domain of one function is a subset of the other function's domain?

If the domain of one function is a subset of the other function's domain, then the domain of the composite function will be the same as the smaller domain. This is because the composite function can only have inputs that are valid for both functions, and the smaller domain limits the possible inputs.

Are there any restrictions on the types of functions that can be composed?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the types of functions that can be composed. The functions must be compatible, meaning that the output of one function must be a valid input for the other function. Additionally, the composition of functions must be associative, meaning that the order in which the functions are composed does not change the result.