Doppler effect and hydrogen alpha distributions

In summary, the student is asking if the spectrum of emissions from a rotating planet will be the same for all wavelengths. The answer is that the spectrum will be the same as the distribution of rays from a rotating planet.
aspodkfpo
Homework Statement
https://www.asi.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/PhysicsASOE2014solutions.pdf
q14 b) i)
Relevant Equations
n/a
https://www.asi.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/PhysicsASOE2014solutions.pdf

q 14b) i)

Assuming that the planet is rotating at a constant rate, shouldn't the distribution be even across all wavelengths, or do I have something very wrong with my model.
I take the graph as the summation of rays from points on a planet which rotates. Each point similarly rotates and causes an equal amount of each wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
aspodkfpo said:
Assuming that the planet is rotating at a constant rate, shouldn't the distribution be even across all wavelengths, or do I have something very wrong with my model.
I take the graph as the summation of rays from points on a planet which rotates. Each point similarly rotates and causes an equal amount of each wavelength.
Planet? Am I looking at the right question?
The question is poorly explained. I see no mention of gas until we come to the solution, so the student will naturally think these emissions are from the stars. Neither is it clear whether we are concerned with the spectrum from some specific part of the galaxy or from the galaxy as a whole. The mention of "fast rotating" region makes it sound like the former, but I think they want the expected spectrum for the galaxy as a whole when taking into account the contributions from the fast regions.
This is important because if it is for the whole galaxy then we have both fast towards us and fast away from us, leading to the symmetric widening in the answer graph.

Does that answer your question?

haruspex said:
Planet? Am I looking at the right question?
The question is poorly explained. I see no mention of gas until we come to the solution, so the student will naturally think these emissions are from the stars. Neither is it clear whether we are concerned with the spectrum from some specific part of the galaxy or from the galaxy as a whole. The mention of "fast rotating" region makes it sound like the former, but I think they want the expected spectrum for the galaxy as a whole when taking into account the contributions from the fast regions.
This is important because if it is for the whole galaxy then we have both fast towards us and fast away from us, leading to the symmetric widening in the answer graph.

Does that answer your question?
nope, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same % for each wavelength, i.e. straight line distribution.

aspodkfpo said:
nope, I don't see why it wouldn't be the same % for each wavelength, i.e. straight line distribution.
On one side of the galaxy you have stars and hot gas clouds rushing towards you (relative to the galaxy as a whole) at great speed, giving a blue shift, while on the other side they are are rushing away. I'm not sure which regions move fastest... if it is like planets around a star, the ones nearest the galactic centre will give the greatest shift.
But there's a limit to how fast they can go, and relatively few can be near the centre, so most of the shifts will be modest.

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, where the pitch of a sound appears higher when the source is moving towards the observer and lower when the source is moving away from the observer.

2. How does the Doppler effect apply to hydrogen alpha distributions?

The Doppler effect can also be observed in electromagnetic waves, such as light. In the case of hydrogen alpha distributions, the Doppler effect can be used to measure the movement of hydrogen gas in space. By analyzing the shift in the wavelength of the hydrogen alpha line, scientists can determine the velocity and direction of the gas.

3. What is the significance of hydrogen alpha distributions in astronomy?

Hydrogen alpha distributions are important in astronomy because they provide valuable information about the movement and dynamics of hydrogen gas in space. This can help scientists understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the processes that drive star formation.

4. How do scientists measure hydrogen alpha distributions?

To measure hydrogen alpha distributions, scientists use a spectrometer, which separates light into its component wavelengths. By analyzing the intensity and wavelength of the hydrogen alpha line, scientists can determine the velocity and distribution of the hydrogen gas.

5. Can the Doppler effect be used to detect objects other than hydrogen gas?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be used to detect the movement of any object that emits or reflects waves, such as stars, planets, and even galaxies. This is a valuable tool in astronomy for studying the motion and dynamics of celestial objects.