Doppler Effect Problem (Very Confusing)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding a problem in a board exam two years ago that was related to the Doppler effect. The group of teachers found that the problem was missing necessary information to solve it accurately. The data suggests that it could be a case of the Doppler effect with a moving source and a stationary observer, but the question itself does not provide enough information. The teachers ask for input from senior members and discuss different interpretations and solutions to the problem. However, it is concluded that there is something wrong with the question and it is not clear whether the observer is at rest or not.
affank414
Homework Statement
A pod (group) of dolphins produces sound at the speed of 2050 m/s in cold water at a frequency of 100 kHz. If the pod produces sound at a frequency of 150 kHz, then calculate the velocity of the
pod and the wavelength of the sound.

(Note: The speed of sound in air is 340 m/s).
Relevant Equations
Doppler Effect 2nd case "When observer moving away from source".

P.S. Don't know how to write equation here.
Kindly don't delete the post again, I am a teacher.

The question above mentioned came in Board Exams 2 years ago in our Country. We the group of teachers tried to solve but we found that the problems misses the required information to be solved.

The data still seems to be the case of Doppler's Effect in which source is moving and observer is stationary but still the question lacks the data.

I need review from Senior members on this question. If we're taking this question wrong then let us know the possible logic + solution. Or if the question is contradictory in real then kindly record your comments Thank You.

Kindly don't delete the post again, I am a teacher and discussing this question regarding my students. Or let me know the best place to post this. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It seems like there is enough information there to solve it, as long as you assume that the upshift in frequency is due to the dolphins swimming toward a stationary observer. However, it does seem like that amount of upshift is unreasonable (unless the dolphins are VERY fast). Can you do that calculation for us to show how fast the dolphins would need to be swimming toward a stationary observer to cause the 100kHz --> 150kHz upshift?

affank414 said:
Don't know how to write equation here.
Look in the guidelines (item 7). Or copy in (e.g. wikipedia) pictures:
##\qquad##

Kindly don't delete the post again, I am a teacher.
:smile:

The question above mentioned came in Board Exams 2 years ago in our Country.
Do you have a link or an exact rendering of the problem statement ?
##\qquad##

Likes affank414, nasu and berkeman
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Thank You

It seems there is enough information there to solve it,

How? Do we have any information regarding Observer?

as long as you assume that the upshift in frequency is due to the dolphins swimming toward a stationary observer. However, it does seem like that amount of upshift is unreasonable (unless the dolphins are VERY fast).

Yup still If I solve this question as per "Source of Sound moving towards stationary observer", it comes out to be 683 m/s... Which is unrealistic

Another thing the solution I received from the Board (who had given this question in exam), they applied concept of "Source of Sound Moving Away from Observer"... I mean HOW?

I Asked them that how can we apply this concept but couldn't receive proper reply...

And they had given this question in board exam for class 11 level... 😢

Likes berkeman
BvU said:
Look in the guidelines (item 7). Or copy in (e.g. wikipedia) pictures:
##\qquad## View attachment 242865

Thanks a lot...

Do you have a link or an exact rendering of the problem statement ?
##\qquad##

Sorry, did you mean exact image from the Question Paper itself?

affank414 said:
Yup still If I solve this question as per "Source of Sound moving towards stationary observer", it comes out to be 683 m/s... Which is unrealistic

Another thing the solution I received from the Board (who had given this question in exam), they applied concept of "Source of Sound Moving Away from Observer"... I mean HOW?

For a speed of sound in water of about ##2,000 m/s## the Doppler shift will be small for the sort of speeds that dolphins can swin (maximum ##10 m/s##, say). There is no way to get a Doppler shift of 50%.

There's clearly something wrong with the question.

PeroK said:
For a speed of sound in water of about ##2,000 m/s## the Doppler shift will be small for the sort of speeds that dolphins can swin (maximum ##10 m/s##, say). There is no way to get a Doppler shift of 50%.

There's clearly something wrong with the question.

Thanks a lot for your feedback...

For instance if we assume these unrealistic values, does this question still give any information about Observer? Also does it still looks like a problem related to Doppler Effect?

affank414 said:

For instance if we assume these unrealistic values, does this question still give any information about Observer? Also does it still looks like a problem related to Doppler Effect?

If an observer is not mentioned, then I would assume it is at rest in the water. What else could it be except a Doppler shift? If you changed ##150kHz## to ##105kHz## that might make a difference.

PeroK said:
If an observer is not mentioned, then I would assume it is at rest in the water. What else could it be except a Doppler shift? If you changed ##150kHz## to ##105kHz## that might make a difference.

And how can we say that source moving towards or away from observer?

affank414 said:
And how can we say that source moving towards or away from observer?

That depends how you interpret the question. The question does not make clear what is the natural frequency and the observed frequency. It could be either way round.

PeroK said:
That depends how you interpret the question. The question does not make clear what is the natural frequency and the observed frequency. It could be either way round.

It was given in Grade 11 Physics Exam... If we teachers went into detailed discussion then what about students who were giving exams... They had to suffer a lot in exam... 😢

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon observed in waves, such as sound or light, where the frequency of the wave appears to change when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer.

2. How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect occurs because the distance between the source of the wave and the observer changes as the source moves. When the source is moving towards the observer, the distance decreases and the observed frequency increases. When the source is moving away from the observer, the distance increases and the observed frequency decreases.

3. Why is the Doppler Effect confusing?

The Doppler Effect can be confusing because it involves understanding the concept of relative motion and the changing distance between the source and the observer. It can also be difficult to visualize and apply to real-world situations.

4. How is the Doppler Effect used in science?

The Doppler Effect is used in various fields of science, such as astronomy, meteorology, and medicine. In astronomy, it is used to study the movement of stars and galaxies. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of storms. In medicine, it is used in techniques such as ultrasound to measure blood flow and diagnose heart problems.

5. Can the Doppler Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance or police car passes by is due to the Doppler Effect. The change in pitch of a passing train or car horn can also be attributed to the Doppler Effect.