Doppler Shift of Neutron: Energy & Momentum

In summary: Yes, that is what I thought would happen. It is curious, though, that in this instance, momentum seems to be a more fundamental property than energy. Is there some deep reason for this?I don't know - maybe it is just an artifact of how momentum is measured in that context?It is an artifact of how momentum is measured in that context.
J O Linton
TL;DR Summary
How are particles such as neutrons affected by cosmological red shift?
When a photon emitted by a distant galaxy travels across space and is detected at a later time when the universe has expanded by a factor of 2, its wavelength, frequency, energy and momentum are all changed by a factor of 2. If a neutron is emitted with energy E and momentum p and is also detected at a later time when the universe has expanded by a factor of 2, how will the energy and momentum of the neutron be affected?

Physics news on Phys.org
J O Linton said:
Summary:: How are particles such as neutrons affected by cosmological red shift?

When a photon emitted by a distant galaxy travels across space and is detected at a later time when the universe has expanded by a factor of 2, its wavelength, frequency, energy and momentum are all changed by a factor of 2. If a neutron is emitted with energy E and momentum p and is also detected at a later time when the universe has expanded by a factor of 2, how will the energy and momentum of the neutron be affected?
You would need to do the calculations for the specific trajectory of the neutron. In general, a low energy neutron would fail to reach the distant galaxy, as it could not overcome the recessional velocity, so there would be a threshold for the initial speed in order for the neutron to complete the journey.

My guess is that the redshift for a photon would specify an upper limit for the energy of the incoming neutron (i.e. for a neutron that starts out at near light speed), but I'd like to see what comes out of the calculations!

I don't think your question is well defined. You can talk about the energy at emission and energy at absorption, but not "the energy of the neutron:".

This was gone over and over in your previous thread,

J O Linton said:
Summary:: How are particles such as neutrons affected by cosmological red shift?

If the particle gets emitted by a comoving observer at cosmic time ##t_0## with momentum ##p## and energy ##E=\sqrt{p^2+m^2}## as measured by that observer, then it gets detected by another comoving observer at time ##t_1## with momentum ##\hat{p}=p\times \frac{a(t_0)}{a(t_1)}## and energy ##\hat{E}=\sqrt{\hat{p}^2+m^2}##, where ##a## ist the scale factor (in your case ##a(t_0)/a(t_1)=2##)

Reggid said:
If the particle gets emitted by a comoving observer at cosmic time ##t_0## with momentum ##p## and energy ##E=\sqrt{p^2+m^2}## as measured by that observer, then it gets detected by another comoving observer at time ##t_1## with momentum ##\hat{p}=p\times \frac{a(t_0)}{a(t_1)}## and energy ##\hat{E}=\sqrt{\hat{p}^2+m^2}##, where ##a## ist the scale factor (in your case ##a(t_0)/a(t_1)=2##)
Or, in short, the momentum redshifts and the energy still follows the dispersion relation.

Yes, that is what I thought would happen. It is curious, though, that in this instance, momentum seems to be a more fundamental property than energy. Is there some deep reason for this?

J O Linton said:
Yes, that is what I thought would happen. It is curious, though, that in this instance, momentum seems to be a more fundamental property than energy. Is there some deep reason for this?
Energy-momentum is a four-vector, so both energy and three-momentum are part of the same physical quantity. Which one you calculate first is up to you.

Reggid said:
It should, of course, be ##a(t_0)/a(t_1)=\frac 1 2##.

J O Linton said:
The only thing at work here is a spacetime symmetry. As you have already been reminded, associating a momentum with a neutron at all requires that you define an observer relative to which that momentum is measured. In #4 this was done explicitly by introducing comoving observers.

In the particular case of a Robertson-Walker spacetime, the momentum of a particle in free fall is a special quantity as it is related by the scale factor to the conserved quantity related to the Killing fields of the spatial symmetries.

Likes PeroK
J O Linton said:
Proper velocity or proper momentum observed in co-moving coordinate or FLRW metric coordinate would decrease according to inflation of Universe as ##pa=const. ## which is common to light red shift ##\omega a = const.##

[Moderator's note: Off topic speculation deleted.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
anuttarasammyak said:
Though no reference I have, it seems obvious to me.
The behavior of skaters when they extend their arms is reasonably obvious, yes. Making an analogy between that and the expansion of the universe is not. This speculation of yours is off topic. Please do not post further about it.

Moderator's note: Some off topic posts (and part of a post) have been deleted. Please bear in mind the forum rules about personal speculation.

1. What is the Doppler shift of a neutron?

The Doppler shift of a neutron refers to the change in energy and momentum of a neutron due to its relative motion with respect to an observer. This effect is similar to the Doppler shift of light or sound, but it is specific to neutrons.

2. How does the Doppler shift affect the energy of a neutron?

The Doppler shift can either increase or decrease the energy of a neutron, depending on its direction of motion relative to the observer. If the neutron is moving towards the observer, its energy will increase, and if it is moving away, its energy will decrease.

3. What causes the Doppler shift of a neutron?

The Doppler shift of a neutron is caused by the relative motion between the neutron and the observer. This motion can be due to the neutron's own velocity or the motion of the observer.

4. How does the Doppler shift affect the momentum of a neutron?

Similar to its effect on energy, the Doppler shift can either increase or decrease the momentum of a neutron. If the neutron is moving towards the observer, its momentum will increase, and if it is moving away, its momentum will decrease.

5. Can the Doppler shift of a neutron be observed in experiments?

Yes, the Doppler shift of a neutron has been observed in various experiments, such as neutron scattering experiments. It is an important phenomenon to consider in neutron-related research and applications, such as in nuclear reactors and neutron imaging techniques.