Dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula in Douglas Gregory's Classical Mechanics that equates m \vec{v} \cdot \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} to \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac12 m \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}\right) and the confusion of the speaker in understanding how to derive the right hand side. It is suggested to use elementary calculus and the product rule to get the derivative of the right hand side.
Ashiataka
I'm reading through Douglas Gregory's Classical Mechanics, and at the start of chapter 6 he says that [itex]m \vec{v} \cdot \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac12 m \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}\right)[/itex], but I'm not sure how to get the right hand side from the left hand side.

If someone could point me in the direction of where to look for this I would be grateful.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ashiataka said:
I'm reading through Douglas Gregory's Classical Mechanics, and at the start of chapter 6 he says that [itex]m \vec{v} \cdot \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac12 m \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}\right)[/itex], but I'm not sure how to get the right hand side from the left hand side.

If someone could point me in the direction of where to look for this I would be grateful.

Thank you.

[itex]\vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}=v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2 [/itex]
Just use elementary calculus to get derivative of the right hand side. Assumes m is constant.

Last edited:
Ashiataka said:

Thank you.

It's the product rule, ##\frac{d}{dt}[\mathbf{u}\cdot\mathbf{v}]=\frac{d\mathbf{u}}{dt}\cdot \mathbf{v}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{dt}##, that gives this result. It's probably easiest to see this if you work right to left.

Yes, of course it is. Thank you.

Related to Dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector

1. What is the definition of the dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector?

The dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector used in physics?

In physics, the dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector is used to determine the work done by a force on an object. It is also used in calculating the angle between two vectors and in finding the rate of change of a vector over time.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector?

The dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector can be interpreted geometrically as the projection of one vector onto the other, multiplied by the length of the other vector. This gives the component of one vector in the direction of the other vector.

4. Can the dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector be negative?

Yes, the dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative cosine value. A negative dot product indicates that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions.

5. How is the dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector related to the magnitude of the original vector?

The dot product of a vector and a derivative of that vector is related to the magnitude of the original vector by the chain rule. This means that the derivative of the dot product is equal to the dot product of the original vector and the derivative of the original vector, multiplied by the magnitude of the original vector.