Conservation of the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector in a Central Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving the derivative of angular momentum and the double cross product. The next step in the solution involves invoking a condition that only holds for circular orbits, but the speaker realizes that this condition may not be valid for elliptical orbits. They then ask for clarification and it is suggested that this condition is a consequence of the conservation of angular momentum. The speaker then asks about the physical implications of this condition.
stephenklein
Homework Statement
I'm tasked with showing the LRL vector is conserved in time when the potential is Newtonian. I.e. [itex]U(r) = -\frac{\alpha}{r},[/itex] with [itex]\alpha[/itex] constant.
Relevant Equations
[itex]\vec{L} = \vec{v} \times \vec{M} - \frac{\alpha \vec{r}}{r}, [/itex] where [itex]\vec{L}, \vec{M}[/itex] are the LRL vector and angular momentum, respectively
I actually have worked through the solution just fine by taking the derivative of [itex]\vec{L}[/itex]:

[tex] \frac{d \vec{L}}{dt} = \dot{\vec{v}} \times \vec{M} - \alpha \left(\frac{\vec{v}}{r} - \frac{\left(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{r}\right)\vec{r}}{r^{3}}\right) [/tex]
I permuted the double cross product:
[tex]\dot{\vec{v}} \times \vec{M} = \dot{\vec{v}} \times \left(m\vec{r} \times \vec{v}\right) = m\vec{r}\left(\dot{\vec{v}} \cdot \vec{v}\right) - m\vec{v}\left(\dot{\vec{v}} \cdot \vec{r}\right) [/tex]
Here's where I'm running into trouble. In both Landau and my lecture notes, the next step is apparently to invoke
[tex] m\dot{\vec{v}} = \frac{\alpha \vec{r}}{r^{3}}, [/tex]
which comes from the fact that the force is Newtonian. But this implies the acceleration is only in the radial direction, which is only true for motions in circular orbit for which the angular velocity is constant. Obviously, for elliptical orbits, the condition that angular momentum is conserved implies that the angular velocity is at a maximum when r is at a minimum, and vice versa. Therefore, [itex] \dot{\phi} [/itex] is not constant and [itex] m\dot{\vec{v}} [/itex] will have an angular component as well. This can be seen as well from the equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian in polar coordinates.

Am I missing something? The derivation in Landau came under the section for Kepler's problem, so it doesn't seem obvious that I should assume the motion is perfectly circular, with no angular acceleration.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
stephenklein said:
Therefore, [itex] \dot{\phi} [/itex] is not constant and [itex] m\dot{\vec{v}} [/itex] will have an angular component as well.
In polar coordinates, the angular component of acceleration is given by ##a_{\phi} = 2\dot r \dot\phi + r \ddot \phi##. For reference see this document.

So, nonzero ##\ddot \phi## does not necessarily imply nonzero ##a_{\phi}##

• Informative
Likes Delta2 and stephenklein
TSny said:
So, a nonzero ##\ddot \phi## does not necessarily imply nonzero ##a_{\phi}##
Wow, I feel like a dummy for not just looking up acceleration components in polar coordinates. That was immensely helpful, thank you.

So to flip the argument around, can we say that because ##m\dot{\vec{v}}## has only a radial component, that ##a_{\phi} = 0##, meaning ##2\dot{r} \dot{\phi} = -r\ddot{\phi}##? And physically, what would that refer to?

Likes Delta2
stephenklein said:
So to flip the argument around, can we say that because ##m\dot{\vec{v}}## has only a radial component, that ##a_{\phi} = 0##, meaning ##2\dot{r} \dot{\phi} = -r\ddot{\phi}##?
Yes
stephenklein said:
And physically, what would that refer to?
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you are asking here.

You could say that it is a consequence of the conservation of angular momentum. The angular momentum is ##\vec M = mr^2\dot\phi \; \hat k## where ##\hat k## is a constant unit vector perpendicular to the plane of the orbit.

Since ##\dot {\vec M} = 0##, you have ##\frac {d }{dt}(mr^2 \dot \phi) = 0##. This implies ##2\dot{r} \dot{\phi} + r\ddot{\phi} = 0##.

Likes stephenklein, vanhees71 and Delta2

1. What is the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector?

The Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is a mathematical quantity that describes the orbital motion of a particle in a central force field, such as the gravitational field of a planet or the electric field of an atom. It is named after Pierre-Simon Laplace, Carl Runge, and Rudolf Lenz, who all contributed to its development.

2. What is the significance of the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector?

The Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is significant because it is a conserved quantity in a central force field. This means that its magnitude and direction remain constant throughout the motion of the particle, making it a useful tool for predicting and understanding the behavior of objects in these types of fields.

3. How is the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector related to the conservation of angular momentum?

The Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is closely related to the conservation of angular momentum. In fact, it can be thought of as a combination of the angular momentum and the position vectors of the particle. This vector is conserved because the total angular momentum of a particle in a central force field is also conserved.

4. Is the conservation of the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector always true?

The conservation of the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is only true in a central force field, where the force acting on the particle is always directed towards or away from a single point. If there are other forces acting on the particle, such as friction or external forces, then the vector may not be conserved.

5. How is the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector used in practical applications?

The Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is used in practical applications, such as orbit calculations for satellites and spacecraft. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of electrons in atoms. Additionally, it has been used in the study of celestial mechanics and the motion of planets and comets in our solar system.