Double Angle Trig: Solving Sin2x-cosx=1 for x in [0,2pi)

• Thread starter Foopyblue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Trig
This is probably not the way your teacher wants you to solve the problem, but it is a way to see the solution without solving the equation.What you have so far is correct:##2\sin x\cos x - \cos x = 1####\cos x(2\sin x - 1) = 1##Now you use the identity I gave you:##\cos x(2\sin x - 1) = 1 = \sin(x + \pi/2)(2\sin x - 1)##You can multiply out the sine and then the cosines:##2\sin^2 x + \sin x\cos x - \sin x = 1 + 2\sin
Foopyblue

Homework Statement

Sin2x-cosx=1
Solve for all x values between [0,2pi)

Homework Equations

Sin2x=2sinxcosx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
2sinxcosx-cosx=1
cosx(2sinx-1)=1

I don't know what to do after this. It doesn't equal 0 so I can't set each factor equal to 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Foopyblue said:

Homework Statement

Sin2x-cosx=1

Homework Equations

Sin2x=2sinxcosx

[/B]
2sinxcosx-cosx=1
cosx(2sinx-1)=1

I don't know what to do after this. It doesn't equal 0 so I can't set each factor equal to 0
Are you sure that the problem isn't sin2(x) - cos(x) = 1? If the problem is exactly as you have stated, I don't know where to go, either.

Mark44 said:
Are you sure that the problem isn't sin2(x) - cos(x) = 1? If the problem is exactly as you have stated, I don't know where to go, either.
The problem is indeed sin(2x). It's really giving me a headache.

There appear to be solutions at x = ##\pm\pi## and many other points (from wolframalpha) but it's not clear to me how to get them.

Foopyblue said:

Homework Statement

Sin2x-cosx=1

Homework Equations

Sin2x=2sinxcosx

[/B]
2sinxcosx-cosx=1
cosx(2sinx-1)=1

Remember, cos θ = sin (θ + π/2).

I think you can use this identity and get an expression for the LHS involving only the sine of the angle θ.

After that, we can talk some more. :smile:

Alternatively, you can plot ##\sin(2x)## and ##1+\cos x## on the same graph for ##0\le x\le 2\pi##. They apparently cross at ##\pi## and ##\frac{3\pi} 2##, which are both easily verified.

1. What is Double Angle Trig?

Double Angle Trig refers to trigonometric equations involving double angles, or angles that are twice the size of a given angle. These equations are solved using trigonometric identities and can be used to find values of trigonometric functions at double angles.

2. How do you solve equations involving Double Angle Trig?

To solve equations involving Double Angle Trig, you can use trigonometric identities such as the double angle formula, half angle formula, and sum and difference formulas. These identities can be used to simplify the equation and find the values of the trigonometric functions at double angles.

3. What is the purpose of solving Sin2x-cosx=1 for x in [0,2pi)?

The purpose of solving Sin2x-cosx=1 for x in [0,2pi) is to find the values of x that satisfy the equation within the given interval. This can be useful in real-world applications, such as calculating the position of an object moving in a circular motion or determining the phase shift of a periodic function.

4. Are there any tips for solving Sin2x-cosx=1 for x in [0,2pi)?

One tip for solving Sin2x-cosx=1 for x in [0,2pi) is to first rewrite the equation using trigonometric identities. Then, you can simplify the equation and solve for x using algebraic methods. It may also be helpful to sketch the graph of the equation to visually understand the solutions and intervals.

5. Can you use a calculator to solve Sin2x-cosx=1 for x in [0,2pi)?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve Sin2x-cosx=1 for x in [0,2pi). Many scientific calculators have specific functions for trigonometric equations, making it easier to solve complicated equations involving Double Angle Trig. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving the equation rather than solely relying on a calculator.