Unsure if this is a trig identity or calculus

In summary: which says that if you multiply two terms by the same number, the result is the same as multiplying each term by its own number and adding them all together.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

$$sinx - cosx = 1/3$$
solve for $$sin(2x)$$

Homework Equations

$$sin^2x + cos^2x = 1$$
$$sin2x = 2cosxsinx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you can square both sides and get:
$$sin^2x - cos^2x = 1/9$$
But how can I use this information to solve for sin2x? Is there a relation/identity between sin2x and sin^2x?

But I am unsure of what to do proceeding this point, is there any calculus needed here? It's in my Calculus review problems so I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

$$sinx - cosx = 1/3$$
solve for $$sin(2x)$$

Homework Equations

$$sin^2x + cos^2x = 1$$
$$sin2x = 2cosxsinx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

How did you get this? I hope you didn't do just this: ##(sin(x))^2 - (cos(x))^2 = (1/3)^2##. If so, that's not at all valid.

In general ##(a + b)^2 \neq a^2 + b^2##.
Arnoldjavs3 said:
But how can I use this information to solve for sin2x? Is there a relation/identity between sin2x and sin^2x?

But I am unsure of what to do proceeding this point, is there any calculus needed here? It's in my Calculus review problems so I am confused.

Hint: ##(a+b)^2 \ne a^2 + b^2##.

Likes SammyS
Arnoldjavs3 said:
$$sinx - cosx = 1/3$$
That is utterly wrong ! How do you square the difference of two terms? What is (a-b)(a-b)?

Sigh it's just annoying having to deal with something i did several years ago in a calculus course. I guess I should've remembered the basic factoring property.

Anyway, $$sin^2x + cos^2x - 2sinxcosx = 1/9$$
and I think $$sin^2x + cos^2x = 1$$ so I believe it'll end up being after simplification
$$1-sin2x = 1/9$$
and the answer I got is $$8/9$$. The answer is unfortunately not given for this question.

Well, you can take solace in the fact that you got the right answer. I've attached a plot of ##y=\sin x - \cos x##, ##y=1/3##, ##y=\sin 2x##, and ##y=8/9.## You can see whenever ##\sin x - \cos x## intersects the line ##y=1/3##, the graph of ##y=\sin 2x## intersects the line ##y=8/9##.

Attachments

• plot.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 180
Likes Arnoldjavs3
Just out of curiosity is trig identities something I should feel comfortable with? As far as math courses that I'm taking in my programs i believe I take up to calc3, linear algebra and discrete math

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Just out of curiosity is trig identities something I should feel comfortable with?
Absolutely. And not just "comfortable with." You should have some of them memorized, including the so-called Pythagorean identities (sinx(x) + cos2(x) = 1, and the other two involving tan(x), sec(x) and cot(x), csc(x)), the sum identities, the double angle identities, and possibly the half-angle identities.
Arnoldjavs3 said:
As far as math courses that I'm taking in my programs i believe I take up to calc3, linear algebra and discrete math
The trig identities won't be used much in discrete math, but they are used to some extent in linear algebra and quite a lot in calculus.

Also, the mistake you made in the first post is less about trig, and more about basic algebra properties: when you apply some operation to one side of an equation, you have to apply the same operation to the other side. In this case, squaring one side of an equation is not the same as squaring the individual terms. What you did seems to be a misapplication of the distributive law,

Likes Arnoldjavs3

1. What is a trig identity?

A trig identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions. These identities are used to simplify expressions, solve equations, and prove other mathematical concepts.

2. How do I know if an equation is a trig identity or calculus?

If the equation involves only trigonometric functions and their inverses, it is likely a trig identity. If it involves derivatives or integrals, it is likely a calculus equation.

3. Can a trig identity be proven using calculus?

Yes, calculus can be used to prove trig identities. The techniques typically involve manipulating the equations using derivatives and integrals.

4. Are there any common trig identities used in calculus?

Yes, some common trig identities used in calculus include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trig identities and calculus?

Practicing problems and reviewing key concepts is the best way to improve your understanding of trig identities and calculus. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be helpful.