Double asymmetric quantum well

In summary, the conversation discusses the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of an infinite well of length a, and then moves on to considering two infinite quantum wells of different lengths. It is noted that in finite double wells, interesting phenomenon such as tunneling splitting can occur. For asymmetric double wells, the wavefunctions can be calculated numerically using a method known as the Cooley-Numerov method.
GalileoGalilei
Hi,

We know that for an infinite well of length a, eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian are :

[tex]\psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{\pi n x}{a})[/tex] related to the eigenvalues [tex]E_n=n^2\frac{\hbar ^2 \pi^2}{2ma^2}[/tex]

Now, I would like to consider two infinite quantum wells of length a et b (not necessarily equal) , like http://photonicssociety.org/newsletters/jun97/art/quantum3.gif .

The eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian are clearly of the kind [tex]\psi_n^{(a_{well})}(x) + \psi_p^{(b_{well})}(x) [/tex] (n and p are not necessarily equal). But then, how could I find the (n,p) such that these are eigenfunctions. And then, what would be the eigenvalues ?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
GalileoGalilei said:
Hi,

We know that for an infinite well of length a, eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian are :

[tex]\psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{\pi n x}{a})[/tex] related to the eigenvalues [tex]E_n=n^2\frac{\hbar ^2 \pi^2}{2ma^2}[/tex]

Now, I would like to consider two infinite quantum wells of length a et b (not necessarily equal) , like http://photonicssociety.org/newsletters/jun97/art/quantum3.gif .

The eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian are clearly [tex]\psi_n^{(a_{well})}(x) + \psi_p^{(b_{well})}(x) [/tex] (n and p are not necessarily equal). But then, how could I find the eigenvalues ?

I thank you in advance for your help.

The example shown are not infinitely deep.

In finite double wells, you will see some intereting things.

For symmetric double wells, you will see pairs of states:

Psi_1+ = phi_1(a) + phi_1(b)
Psi_1- = phi_1(a) - phi_1(b)

The energies of these states are close to the energies of the phi_1(a/b) states. The states are said to be "split by tunneling." You will see pairs of these all theway up to the top. As the barrier between the wells gets lower, the tunneling splitting increases.

For asymmetric double wells, like your example, you will see states that look to be slightly shifted versions of the "basis states." The lowest state in your example, looks like n=1 for the wide well., while the next two look like linear combinations of n=1 in the narrrow well and n=2 in the wide well. The mixing coefficients are not equal, as is the case in the tunneling split levels of the symmetric case. E2 is probably closer to the unperturbed n=2 level of the wide well, and E3 is probably closest in energy to the unperturbed n=1 level of the narrow well.

You will need to calculate these wavefunctions numerically, just as you would for the states in the finite well. [i.e. match wavefunctions and first derivatives at key points]. There is an old paper by Cooley that discusses an efficient way to calculate the eigenfunctiond and eigen energies of one-dimensional potentials. [So-called Cooley-Numerov method.] See e.g. http://www.myoops.org/cocw/mit/NR/rdonlyres/Chemistry/5-73Introductory-Quantum-Mechanics-IFall2002/2139DA2B-09EC-4A27-A89D-0FF4666D5B13/0/notes09.pdf for a discussion of the Cooley-Numerov method. This presentation also gives the reference to the original paper by Cooley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer ! Now I understand it.

1. What is a double asymmetric quantum well?

A double asymmetric quantum well (DAQW) is a type of quantum well structure that consists of two thin layers of different semiconductor materials with different bandgaps, sandwiched between two barrier layers. The well layers have different thicknesses, resulting in two different potential wells for electrons to occupy.

2. What are the applications of double asymmetric quantum wells?

DAQWs have a wide range of applications in optoelectronics, such as in quantum cascade lasers, light-emitting diodes (LEDs), and photodetectors. They are also used in quantum computing, as they can serve as qubits (quantum bits) for storing and manipulating information.

3. How do double asymmetric quantum wells work?

When a voltage is applied to the DAQW structure, electrons can tunnel from one well to the other. This tunneling process can be controlled by adjusting the thickness and potential barriers of the well layers, allowing for precise control of the electron energy levels and resulting in unique quantum effects.

4. What are the advantages of using double asymmetric quantum wells?

DAQWs offer several advantages over traditional quantum wells, such as a larger range of tunable energy levels, a higher degree of control over electron movement, and improved device performance due to reduced electron leakage. They also have potential for use in novel quantum devices and technologies.

5. What are the challenges in working with double asymmetric quantum wells?

The main challenge in working with DAQWs is the precise control and fabrication of the different well layers and barrier layers. Any imperfections or variations in thickness can affect the electron energy levels and hinder device performance. Additionally, the complex quantum effects in DAQWs can be difficult to model and understand, making their design and optimization a challenging task.