Double Check My Work: Simplifying a Homework Statement

In summary, we use the values of ##\sin(n \pi)##, ##\cos(n \pi)## and ##\cos(n \pi/2)## to evaluate the integrals and simplify the expression.
zzmanzz

Homework Statement

I got the problem down to:

[tex] \frac{2}{\pi} \left[ \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \frac{2}{\pi}xsin(nx) dx + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi} (\frac{-2}{\pi}x+2)sin(nx) dx \right] [/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[ \int_{0}^{\pi/2} xsin(nx) dx + \int_{pi/2}^{\pi} -xsin(nx) dx + \int_{pi/2}^{\pi} \pi sin(nx) dx
\right] [/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[ \left[ \frac{-x}{2n} cos(nx) +\frac{1}{n^2}sin(nx) \right]_{0}^{pi/2} + \left[ \frac{1}{n}xcos(nx)-\frac{1}{n^2}sin(nx) \right]_{\pi/2}^{\pi} + \left[\frac{-\pi}{n}cos(nx) \right]_{\pi/2}^{\pi} \right][/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[\left[\left[\frac{-\pi}{2n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) +\frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\frac{\pi}{2}) \right] -\left[0\right]\right] + \left[ \left[\frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi)) - \frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\pi) \right] - \left[\frac{\pi}{2n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) +\frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\frac{\pi}{2}) \right] \right] +
\left[\frac{-\pi}{n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2})+\frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi) \right]
\right] [/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[-\frac{\pi}{2n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) +\frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\frac{\pi}{2}) + \frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi)) - \frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\pi) - \frac{\pi}{2n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) -\frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\frac{\pi}{2}) -
\frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2})+\frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi)
\right]

[/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[-\frac{\pi}{4n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) + \frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi)) - \frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\pi) -
\right]

[/tex]

I feel like i sccrewed something up to this point ... maybe turning some positive terms negative or vice versa? can someone just double check my work upto this point pleaseee.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
zzmanzz said:

Homework Statement

I got the problem down to:

[tex] \frac{2}{\pi} \left[ \int_{0}^{\pi/2} \frac{2}{\pi}xsin(nx) dx + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi} (\frac{-2}{\pi}x+2)sin(nx) dx \right] [/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[ \int_{0}^{\pi/2} xsin(nx) dx + \int_{pi/2}^{\pi} -xsin(nx) dx + \int_{pi/2}^{\pi} \pi sin(nx) dx
\right] [/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[ \left[ \frac{-x}{2n} cos(nx) +\frac{1}{n^2}sin(nx) \right]_{0}^{pi/2} + \left[ \frac{1}{n}xcos(nx)-\frac{1}{n^2}sin(nx) \right]_{\pi/2}^{\pi} + \left[\frac{-\pi}{n}cos(nx) \right]_{\pi/2}^{\pi} \right][/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[\left[\left[\frac{-\pi}{2n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) +\frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\frac{\pi}{2}) \right] -\left[0\right]\right] + \left[ \left[\frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi)) - \frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\pi) \right] - \left[\frac{\pi}{2n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) +\frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\frac{\pi}{2}) \right] \right] +
\left[\frac{-\pi}{n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2})+\frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi) \right]
\right] [/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[-\frac{\pi}{2n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) +\frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\frac{\pi}{2}) + \frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi)) - \frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\pi) - \frac{\pi}{2n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) -\frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\frac{\pi}{2}) -
\right]

[/tex]

[tex] \frac{4}{\pi^2} \left[-\frac{\pi}{4n}cos(n\frac{\pi}{2}) + \frac{\pi}{n}cos(n\pi)) - \frac{1}{n^2}sin(n\pi) -
\right]

[/tex]

I feel like i sccrewed something up to this point ... maybe turning some positive terms negative or vice versa? can someone just double check my work upto this point pleaseee.

Many thanks.

Don't you remember the values for ##\sin(n \pi)## and ##\cos(n \pi)## for integer ##n##? What about the values of ##\cos(n \pi/2)## for even ##n## and for odd ##n##?

Also, when using LaTeX/TeX, use "\sin' and "\cos' instead of 'sin' and 'cos', because that will look much better and be much, much easier to read: you will get ##\sin x, \: \cos x## instead of ##sin x, \; cos x##.

Just a quick look-over=in your integration by parts, first term, 3rd line, I don't get a "2" in the denominator.

Charles Link said:
Just a quick look-over=in your integration by parts, first term, 3rd line, I don't get a "2" in the denominator.
you are right. thank you.. i was copying from my notes and might have caried that from the next step. good catch

Ray Vickson said:
Don't you remember the values for ##\sin(n \pi)## and ##\cos(n \pi)## for integer ##n##? What about the values of ##\cos(n \pi/2)## for even ##n## and for odd ##n##?

Also, when using LaTeX/TeX, use "\sin' and "\cos' instead of 'sin' and 'cos', because that will look much better and be much, much easier to read: you will get ##\sin x, \: \cos x## instead of ##sin x, \; cos x##.
Thanks for the reply.

So, looking back:[tex] \cos(n\pi) = (-1)^n [/tex]

[tex] \sin(n\pi) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sin(\frac{n2}{\pi}) = (-1)^{((n-1)/2)} for n odd, 0 for even [/tex] the sin cancels out though and doesn't matter?

[tex] \cos(\frac{2n}{\pi}) = \frac{(1+(-1)^n)}{2*(-1)^{n/2}} [/tex]

Related to Double Check My Work: Simplifying a Homework Statement

1. What is the purpose of double checking my work?

The purpose of double checking your work is to ensure that your answer is correct and free of any mistakes. It also helps to identify any areas where you may have made a mistake and allows you to correct it before submitting your work.

2. How do I double check my work?

To double check your work, you can go through your calculations or steps again to make sure they are accurate. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your answer. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work to catch any errors you may have missed.

3. What should I look for when double checking my work?

When double checking your work, you should look for any mathematical errors such as incorrect calculations or missing steps. Additionally, you should check to make sure you have answered the question correctly and addressed all parts of the homework statement.

4. Why is it important to simplify a homework statement?

Simplifying a homework statement can make it easier to understand and solve the problem. It can also help to identify the key information and steps needed to find the solution. It also ensures that you are answering the question correctly and not overcomplicating the problem.

5. How can I ensure that I have simplified the homework statement correctly?

You can ensure that you have simplified the homework statement correctly by checking that your answer is in its simplest form and cannot be reduced any further. You can also compare your answer to the original problem and make sure that all necessary steps have been taken to simplify it.