Double-Checking Elastic Energy and Gravitational Potential | Dec. 14 Deadline

In summary, the speaker is seeking confirmation that they have correctly calculated the Elastic Energy and Gravitational Potential. They also ask for a quick response and mention a deadline of December 14th. They question the use of equations and provide a diagram to explain their process. They also note that they may have made a mistake as the Gravitational Potential should decrease while the Elastic Energy increases.
Raza
I want to make sure if I have done the Eleastic Energy part and also the Gravitational Potential correctly. Please respond fast. handing it on Dec.14
ElasticEnergy.jpg

Thank YOU :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm...which equations did u use? for the spring potential did u use:
[tex]Us=.5kx^2[/tex]

did u use [tex]Ug=mgh[/tex] grav. potential?

this may be just b/c i don't understand ur table...y is the spring unstretched value lower than ur starting point?

Last edited:
I used [tex]Ug=mgh[/tex] to find the gravititional potential.

This is a picture to give you an idea of how it is.
ElasticEnergy2.jpg

The starting point is 7cm plus the extra 2cm. We had to hold it there. After that, I let of the weight and when it bouncing, i had to quickly measure the lowest point. Now, I know I did something wrong. because gravititional potential should be decreasing as the elastic energy is increasing.

Related to Double-Checking Elastic Energy and Gravitational Potential | Dec. 14 Deadline

1. What is elastic energy and how does it differ from gravitational potential energy?

Elastic energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is directly related to the displacement of the object from its original position and the force required to stretch or compress it. Gravitational potential energy, on the other hand, is the potential energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is directly related to the height of the object and the gravitational force acting on it.

2. Why is it important to double-check the calculations for elastic energy and gravitational potential energy?

Double-checking calculations is crucial in the scientific process to ensure accuracy and validity of results. Any errors in calculations can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially hinder further research or real-world applications.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculations for elastic energy and gravitational potential energy?

The accuracy of calculations for elastic energy and gravitational potential energy can be affected by factors such as human error, incorrect assumptions, and environmental factors like air resistance or friction. It is important to consider and account for these factors to obtain accurate results.

4. How can we experimentally determine the elastic energy and gravitational potential energy of an object?

The elastic energy of an object can be determined by measuring the force required to stretch or compress it and the displacement of the object. Gravitational potential energy can be determined by measuring the height of the object and the gravitational force acting on it. These values can then be used in relevant equations to calculate the potential energies.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding and calculating elastic energy and gravitational potential energy?

Understanding and calculating elastic energy and gravitational potential energy can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, in engineering, it is important to consider the elastic energy of materials when designing structures or machines. In sports, understanding gravitational potential energy can help athletes optimize their movements to perform at their best.