Double integral Problem (with solution)

In summary: The integrand in the first (or lower) integral is x=y-1, and in the second (or upper) integral it is x=\frac{y^2-6}{2}. Integrate each of these with respect to x, and then integrate the results with respect to y over the given range for y. You should get the same answer as with the horizontal strips.
DrWahoo
Evaluate (use attached figure for depiction) $ \iint_{R} \, xy \, dA $

where $R$ is the region bounded by the line
$y = x - 1$ and the parabola $y^2 = 2 x + 6$.

View attachment 7598

I will post solution in just a moment with a reply.

Attachments

• integration-region-page-001.jpg
    integration-region-page-001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 76
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone want to attempt a solution or give some hints?

I would use horizontal strips, where:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y^2-6}{2}\le x\le y+1\)

And these strips run from:

\(\displaystyle -2\le y\le4\)

And so we obtain the iterated integral:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-2}^{4} y\int_{\Large{\frac{y^2-6}{2}}}^{y+1} x\,dx\,dy\)

I will leave it to a student to demonstrate:

\(\displaystyle I=36\)

Thanks mark. I will give a little intuition as well and let a student come up with the result. This is just a reiteration of Marks work.

Based off of $\Bbb{R}$ pick to integrate with respect to $x$ first.
This would imply; that the boundaries of the region in the $x$ direction would be;
$x=\frac{(y^2)-6}{2} $ and $x=y+1$.

Now find the range, that is the range of values for $y$. In order to do this we need to find the $y$-coordinates in the points of the intersection between the following two curves;
$y=x-1$ and $y^2 =2x-6$.

Substituting $x=y+1$ into the second equation we obtain;
$y^2 =2(y+1)+6 $

Solve by factoring or quadratic formula to find the roots of the polynomial.
So we have $(y-4)(y+2)=0$ $\implies$ $y=4, y=-2$

Now try to set up the integrals to find the region requested;
I will give everyone a chance to set it up and or solve.

Thanks Mark.
MarkFL said:
I would use horizontal strips, where:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y^2-6}{2}\le x\le y+1\)

And these strips run from:

\(\displaystyle -2\le y\le4\)

And so we obtain the iterated integral:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-2}^{4} y\int_{\Large{\frac{y^2-6}{2}}}^{y+1} x\,dx\,dy\)

I will leave it to a student to demonstrate:

\(\displaystyle I=36\)

If you really want to use vertical strips, so that you are integrating with respect to x rather than y, you will need to break this into two integrals, one from -3 to -1, the other from -1 to 5.

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves computing the area under a two-dimensional function. It is represented as ∬f(x,y) dA, where f(x,y) is the function and dA represents the infinitesimal area element.

How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to identify the limits of integration for both the x and y variables. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to evaluate the integral. Finally, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the exact value of the integral.

What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in mathematics and science. They are commonly used to calculate the area and volume of irregular shapes, as well as to solve problems in physics, economics, and engineering. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate probabilities and expected values.

What is the difference between a single and a double integral?

The main difference between a single and a double integral is the number of dimensions involved. A single integral is used to calculate the area under a one-dimensional function, while a double integral is used for a two-dimensional function. Additionally, a single integral has one variable of integration, whereas a double integral has two variables of integration.

What are the common methods for evaluating a double integral?

There are several methods for evaluating a double integral, including the rectangular, polar, and cylindrical coordinate systems. Other methods include using symmetry, changing the order of integration, and using trigonometric substitutions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the integral and the shape of the region of integration.