How do I set up double integrals for different orders of integration?

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, to set up an integral for both orders of integration, we can use either horizontal or vertical strips depending on the shape of the region. For horizontal strips, the limits of integration for dxdy will be determined by the left and right boundaries of the region, while the limits for dydx will be determined by the bottom and top boundaries. For vertical strips, the limits of integration for dxdy will be determined by the bottom and top boundaries, while the limits for dydx will be determined by the left and right boundaries. A sketch of the region can help determine which order of integration to use.
harpazo
Set up an integral for both orders of integration.
DO NOT EVALUATE THE INTEGRAL.

Let S S = double integrals

Let R = region

S S xe^(y) dA

R: triangle bounded by y = 4 - x, y = 0, x = 0

I can graph the region but have no idea how to proceed from there. I need solution steps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If we use horizontal strips, then we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^4 e^y\int_0^{4-y} x\,dx\,dy\)

And if we use vertical strips, we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^4 x\int_0^{4-x}e^y\,dy\,dx\)

MarkFL said:
If we use horizontal strips, then we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^4 e^y\int_0^{4-y} x\,dx\,dy\)

And if we use vertical strips, we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^4 x\int_0^{4-x}e^y\,dy\,dx\)

How do you know which limits of integration to apply to dxdy as oppossed to dydx? This is my biggest problem.

Harpazo said:
How do you know which limits of integration to apply to dxdy as oppossed to dydx? This is my biggest problem.

That's where the sketch of the region $D$ comes in...for example when using horizontal strips, we see they are bounded on the left by the line $x=0$ and on the right by $x=4-y$. We then observe that the strips run from $y=0$ to $y=4$.

If we use vertical strips, then we see they are bounded on the bottom by the line $y=0$ to the line $y=4-x$, and that these strips run from $x=0$ to $x=4$. :D

MarkFL said:
That's where the sketch of the region $D$ comes in...for example when using horizontal strips, we see they are bounded on the left by the line $x=0$ and on the right by $x=4-y$. We then observe that the strips run from $y=0$ to $y=4$.

If we use vertical strips, then we see they are bounded on the bottom by the line $y=0$ to the line $y=4-x$, and that these strips run from $x=0$ to $x=4$. :D

I am having a hard time deciding how to set up dxdy or dydx based on graphs of general regions.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves integrating a function with respect to two different variables, typically over a two-dimensional region.

2. How do I set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you first need to determine the bounds of integration for both variables. This can be done by graphing the region or by using the given limits. Then, you need to write the integrand as a function of both variables and use the appropriate integration limits for each variable.

3. What is the purpose of using a double integral?

A double integral allows you to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space, as well as other important quantities such as mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia.

4. What are the different types of double integrals?

The two main types of double integrals are definite and indefinite. Definite double integrals have specific limits of integration and give a numerical value as the result, while indefinite double integrals have variable limits of integration and give a function of the remaining variable as the result.

5. How do I evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you can use various techniques such as Fubini's theorem, iterated integrals, or change of variables. It is important to carefully set up the integral and choose the appropriate method for evaluation based on the given function and region of integration.