Double Integrals and circles - Confirmation Wanted

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a function over a specific region in the x-y plane bounded by two circles. The speaker has sketched the region and determined the ranges for x and y. They are unsure how to calculate the integral and whether they need to use polar coordinates. The other person suggests thinking about the regions and angles and drawing a picture to help with the calculation.
Nima
Hey, my Q is:

"Integrate f(x, y) = Sqrt(x^2 + y^2) over the region in the x-y plane bounded by the circles r = 1 and r = 4 in the upper half-plane".

Well, I firstly sketched out the region I get as my area in the x-y plane. I deduced that the ranges for x and y are:

0 <= x <= 4
Sqrt[1 - x^2] <= y <= Sqrt[16 - x^2]

1.) Is this right?
2.) How do I then calculate the integral of f(x, y) over this region? I know I'm doing a double integral but I don't see how I can separate my variables...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you covered polar coordinates?

TD said:
Have you covered polar coordinates?
Hi, no unfortunately I haven't covered polar co-ordinates yet.

mmm so yes I see that f(x, y) = r and now we have 2 circles with radii r = 4 and r = 1 respectively.

Could you explain to me how to do this Q if that's ok? Thanks.

Just think about it. from what pts are we integrating wrt the radius? Then, what angle to what angle are we integrating (wrt theta). drawing a picture is helpful.

Related to Double Integrals and circles - Confirmation Wanted

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integration in mathematics that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in a two-dimensional plane. It is represented by a double integral symbol (∫∫) and is used to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you calculate a double integral?

To calculate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can either use the rectangular or polar coordinate system to set up the integral. Finally, you can solve the integral using standard integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the relationship between double integrals and circles?

Double integrals can be used to find the area of a circle. By setting up the integral in polar coordinates, with the limits of integration being the radius and angle of the circle, you can calculate the area enclosed by the circle. This is because a circle can be represented by a polar equation, making it easier to integrate.

4. Can double integrals be used for other shapes besides circles?

Yes, double integrals can be used for any shape in the two-dimensional plane. The limits of integration and the function being integrated will vary depending on the shape, but the concept remains the same. You can use double integrals to find the area, volume, or other properties of any shape, not just circles.

5. How do you know if your double integral is set up correctly?

To ensure that your double integral is set up correctly, you should check that the limits of integration match the shape and region you are trying to calculate. Additionally, you can also check your answer by using another method, such as calculating the area or volume using a different coordinate system or by using a different method, such as the disk or shell method for finding volume.