Double integration problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter wonder_koo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the person is asking for help in solving the surface area of a pringle shape described by the equation z = (y^2)/4 - (x^2)/4.507 within an ellipse. They mention that they have tried various sources but have not been able to find a solution that makes sense. They suggest using parametrization and give the equations for x and y in terms of r and theta, along with the formula for the surface area. They also provide the expression for the magnitude of the cross product between the partial derivatives of r with respect to r and theta.
wonder_koo
does anyone know how to solve this/can lead me on a direction to where I will get an answer that actually makes sense lol? I keep getting a negative answer/0. For context, I'm tryna find the surface area of a pringle and all the sources I've visited always estimate the projected 2D region as a circle + rounded off the y and x coefficients to the same number which allows them to simplify to polar coordinates w/ just r in the integration and then solve it BUT this gives only an estimated area of the pringle
1640310335100.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is:

Find the surface area of the surface [tex]z = \frac{y^2}{4} - \frac{x^2}{4.507}[/tex] lying within the ellipse [tex]
\frac{x^2 }{6.76} + \frac{y^2}{4} = 1.[/tex]

You can parametrize the interior of the ellipse [itex](x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1[/itex] as [tex]
\begin{split}
x &= ar\cos \theta \\
y &= br\sin \theta
\end{split}[/tex] where [itex]0 \leq r \leq 1[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/itex]. Then the surface area of [itex]z = f(r,\theta)[/itex] is given by [tex]
S = \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 \left\| \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial r} \times \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial \theta}\right\|\,dr\,d\theta[/tex] where [tex]\left\| \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial r} \times \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial \theta}\right\|^2 =
b^2\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} \sin \theta - \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}r\cos \theta \right)^2 + a^2\left(
\frac{\partial f}{\partial r}r\sin \theta + \frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta}\cos\theta
\right)^2 + a^2b^2r^2.[/tex]

1. What is a double integration problem?

A double integration problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve that is defined by two equations. It requires integrating twice, once with respect to one variable and then again with respect to the other variable.

2. How do you solve a double integration problem?

To solve a double integration problem, you first need to identify the two equations that define the curve. Then, you integrate the first equation with respect to one variable and treat the other variable as a constant. Next, you integrate the resulting equation with respect to the second variable. Finally, you evaluate the resulting equation to find the area under the curve.

3. What are the applications of double integration?

Double integration has many applications in science and engineering. It is commonly used to find the volume of three-dimensional objects, the center of mass of a solid, and the moment of inertia of a system. It is also used in physics to calculate work and energy.

4. What are the limitations of double integration?

One limitation of double integration is that it can only be used for certain types of curves, such as those defined by polynomial equations. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and can be time-consuming for more complex problems. Additionally, it may not always provide an exact solution and may require approximation methods.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving double integration problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving double integration problems is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to review the fundamental concepts of calculus and seek help from a tutor or online resources if needed.