Double Integrals in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the double integral can be converted to polar coordinates and the inner limits are 0 to sqrt{2x-x^2}. The outer limits are 0 to 2.
harpazo
Evaluate the double integral by converting to polar coordinates.

Let S S be the double integral symbol

S S xy dydx

Inner limits: 0 to sqrt{2x - x^2}

Outer limits: 0 to 2

The answer is 2/3.

I know that x = rcosϴ and y = rsinϴ.

S S rcosϴ*rsinϴ r drdϴ.

S S (r^3)cosϴ*sinϴ drdϴ.

I am stuck here.

I also need the correct limits of integration for this circle.

I just want the set up and explanation how to find the limits.

What must be done with the upper limit of integration for the inner integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
The area over which we are integrating is the upper half of the circle centered at $(1,0)$, which is described in polar coordinates by:

\(\displaystyle r=2\cos(\theta)\) where \(\displaystyle 0\le\theta\le\frac{\pi}{2}\) and \(\displaystyle 0\le r\le2\cos(\theta)\). And so the integral becomes:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)\int_0^{2\cos(\theta)} r^3\,dr\,d\theta\)

Iterating the above integral will give the desired result. :D

MarkFL said:
The area over which we are integrating is the upper half of the circle centered at $(1,0)$, which is described in polar coordinates by:

\(\displaystyle r=2\cos(\theta)\) where \(\displaystyle 0\le\theta\le\frac{\pi}{2}\) and \(\displaystyle 0\le r\le2\cos(\theta)\). And so the integral becomes:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)\int_0^{2\cos(\theta)} r^3\,dr\,d\theta\)

Iterating the above integral will give the desired result. :D

Where did the point (1,0) come from?

Where did r = 2cos(theta) come from?

Harpazo said:
Where did the point (1,0) come from?

Where did r = 2cos(theta) come from?

In the original integral, we have the inner upper limit of:

\(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2x-x^2}\)

Squaring, we get:

\(\displaystyle y^2=2x-x^2\)

\(\displaystyle x^2-2x+y^2=0\)

\(\displaystyle x^2-2x+1+y^2=1\)

\(\displaystyle (x-1)^2+y^2=1^2\)

This is a circle centered at $(1,0)$, but we only want the upper half since in the original relation, $y$ is non-negative. To convert this to polar coordinates, let's return to:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=2x\)

\(\displaystyle r^2=2r\cos(\theta)\)

Divide through by $r$:

\(\displaystyle r=2\cos(\theta)\)

Notice that for \(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\), we retain the solution $r=0$ that we lost when dividing by $r$. We also observe that for \(\displaystyle 0\le\theta\le\frac{\pi}{2}\), the upper half of the circle is traced out.

MarkFL said:
In the original integral, we have the inner upper limit of:

\(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2x-x^2}\)

Squaring, we get:

\(\displaystyle x^2-2x+y^2=0\)

\(\displaystyle x^2-2x+1+y^2=1\)

\(\displaystyle (x-1)^2+y^2=1^2\)

This is a circle centered at $(1,0)$, but we only want the upper half since in the original relation, $y$ is non-negative. To convert this to polar coordinates, let's return to:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=2x\)

\(\displaystyle r^2=2r\cos(\theta)\)

Divide through by $r$:

\(\displaystyle r=2\cos(\theta)\)

Notice that for \(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\), we retain the solution $r=0$ that we lost when dividing by $r$. We also observe that for \(\displaystyle 0\le\theta\le\frac{\pi}{2}\), the upper half of the circle is traced out.

I now understand what I did wrong. I noticed that you completed the square after squaring the upper limit.
I kept getting r^2 = 2x but it didn't dawn on me to replace x with rcos(theta). It makes sense to work out several more double integrals in polar coordinates before moving on to the next section dealing with center of mass and inertia.

1. What are double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are a method of evaluating the area under a curve in polar coordinates. It involves integrating over a region in the x-y plane using polar coordinates instead of rectangular coordinates.

2. How do you convert a double integral from rectangular to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from rectangular to polar coordinates, you use the following formula:
∬f(x,y)dxdy = ∬f(r,θ)rdrdθ, where r is the distance from the origin to a point in the x-y plane and θ is the angle formed between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the point to the origin.

3. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates for double integrals?

Using polar coordinates for double integrals can make evaluating the integral easier in certain scenarios, such as when the region of integration is circular or when the function being integrated has a simpler expression in terms of polar coordinates. It can also help simplify geometric interpretations of the integral.

4. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates for double integrals?

One limitation of using polar coordinates for double integrals is that it is not always possible to express the region of integration in terms of polar coordinates. In these cases, it may be necessary to use rectangular coordinates or a different coordinate system.

5. How do you evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates?

To evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates, you first convert the integral to polar coordinates and then use the appropriate integration techniques. This may involve using trigonometric identities or making use of symmetry to simplify the integral.