How Can I Perform Double Numerical Integration in MATLAB or Mathematica?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the CDF of a random variable using the characteristic function and the integral of the exponential integral. The poster wants to know how to evaluate the integral numerically in MATLAB, and it is suggested to use the int function in Symbolic Math Toolbox and the expint function.
EngWiPy
I have the pdf of a random variable found from the characteristic function given by

[tex]f_X(\alpha)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sum_{m=0}^Mj^m{K\choose m}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-jt(m+\alpha)}E_1^m(-jt)\,dt[/tex]

where ##j=\sqrt{-1}## and ##E_1(x)## is the exponential integral. I need to find the CDF of the random variable ##X## which is given by

[tex]F_X(x)=\int_0^xf_X(\alpha)\,d\alpha[/tex]

I can interchange the integrals, but I ended with two numerical integrations as well.

How can I do this in MATLAB? Is it easier to do in Mathematica?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, how can I evaluate ##
\int_0^{\infty}e^{-jt(m+\alpha)}E_1^m(-jt)\,dt
## numerically in MATLAB? Previously I used Mathematica because I felt it is easier to use for numerical integration, but now I have access to MATLAB only. Note that the result will be a function of ##\alpha## and not a number.

If you want the result in terms of alpha and not a number, then you want to do symbolic integration not numerical integration (the latter uses quadrature methods and produces a number).

Check out the int function in Symbolic Math Toolbox. You'll also need to use the expint function to form the integrand.

Likes EngWiPy
kreil said:
If you want the result in terms of alpha and not a number, then you want to do symbolic integration not numerical integration (the latter uses quadrature methods and produces a number).

Check out the int function in Symbolic Math Toolbox. You'll also need to use the expint function to form the integrand.

OK, so, it's possible. I thought numerical integrations result only in numbers. I will check that out. Thanks

1. What is Double Numerical Integration?

Double Numerical Integration is a mathematical method used to calculate the definite integral of a function of two variables. It involves approximating the area under a two-dimensional curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing their areas.

2. What are the main steps in performing Double Numerical Integration?

The main steps in Double Numerical Integration include dividing the region of integration into smaller rectangles, evaluating the function at specific points within each rectangle, and then summing the products of the function values and the areas of the rectangles.

3. What are the advantages of using Double Numerical Integration?

Double Numerical Integration allows for the calculation of integrals that cannot be solved analytically. It also provides a more accurate approximation of the integral compared to single numerical integration methods.

4. What are some common methods used for Double Numerical Integration?

Some common methods for Double Numerical Integration include rectangular, trapezoidal, and Simpson's rule. These methods vary in their level of accuracy and complexity.

5. In what fields is Double Numerical Integration commonly used?

Double Numerical Integration is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics for solving problems involving two-dimensional systems and functions. It is also used in computer science for numerical analysis and simulation.