Double pendulum equations of motion using Newton's laws

In summary, the author used moments equilibrium about point O and point ##m_1## to derive equations of motion for the system of two particles. He considered only the forces acting on ##m_1##, ignoring the effect of ##m_2##. The highlighted term in equation E2 comes from the fictitious force exerted on ##m_2## due to the acceleration of ##m_1## in the non-inertial reference frame of ##m_1##.
BayMax
Homework Statement
equations of motion
Relevant Equations
angular momentum equation
I need help to understand this problem taken from Mechanical Vibrations by S. Rao

testo.png
soluzione.PNG

I know that the equations of motion could be obtained in various ways, for example using the Lagrangian, but, at the moment, I am interested in understanding the method he used. In particular, if I'm not mistaken, he used moments equilibrium about point O and point ##m_1##. Here's my questions:

1- Why in the moments equilibrium about the point O (equation E1) he considered only the forces acting on ##m_1## as if ##m_2## were not there and also just the moment of inertia of ##m_1##?

2- But above all, in the equation E2, where does the highlighted term ##m_2⋅l_2(l_1⋅\ddot\theta_1)## come from and what does it represent?

3- I have a lot of problems when I'm asked to find equations of motion of a system of particles (like in this case) or of a rigid body, so I need some good resources (textbooks preferably) where I can find all the tools I need to understand and solve this kind of problems.

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

BayMax said:
1- Why in the moments equilibrium about the point O (equation E1) he considered only the forces acting on ##m_1## as if ##m_2## were not there and also just the moment of inertia of ##m_1##?
Equation E1 comes from ##\sum \tau = I \alpha## applied to just ##m_1##. So, ##I## is the moment of inertia of just ##m_1##.

The effect of ##m_2## on ##m_1## is via the tension force ##Q## in the lower rod.

2- But above all, in the equation E2, where does the highlighted term ##m_2⋅l_2(l_1⋅\ddot\theta_1)## come from and what does it represent?
Equation E2 can be derived from ##\sum \tau = I \alpha## applied to ##m_2## and taking the origin for moments to be the instantaneous location of ##m_1##. But, the frame attached to ##m_1## is an accelerating frame. So, there will be a fictitious force acting on ##m_2## that contributes to the moments acting on ##m_2##.

Last edited:
Likes BayMax and etotheipi
In the lab frame, the acceleration of ##m_1## can be decomposed into a tangential and a radial component:

1594764238303.png

In the frame of ##m_1##, we must add a body force of ##-m_2\vec{a}_1## to the particle ##m_2##, whose components look like negated multiples of the components of the acceleration,

1594764279058.png

Note that the blue components are parallel and perpendicular to ##\vec{l}_1##, not ##\vec{l}_2##. So the total force on ##m_2## in the non-inertial rest frame of ##m_1## is the weight, plus the tension, plus this inertial force.

In the small amplitude regime, the we approximate for the purposes of computing the torque of the inertial force that ##\vec{l}_1 \parallel \vec{l}_2##, and as such the component of torque due to this inertial force out of the paper is ##m_2 l_2 (l_1 \ddot{\theta_1})##.

Likes BayMax
Thank you so much !
I was going crazy in trying to understand this solution. Just a last thing about it: among the fictitious forces we can find Coriolis force too, am I right ? In this case we can neglect it because it's directed along ##l_2## so that its moment about ##m_1## is ##0## ?

BayMax said:
Thank you so much !
I was going crazy in trying to understand this solution. Just a last thing about it: among the fictitious forces we can find Coriolis force too, am I right ? In this case we can neglect it because it's directed along ##l_2## so that its moment about ##m_1## is ##0## ?

You don't need to here. We can choose our non-inertial reference frame so that its origin tracks the position of ##m_1## but its axes are always still aligned with that of the lab frame, so it is an accelerating frame but not a rotating frame. So we only require the one fictitious force.

Coriolis forces only arise in rotating frames, i.e. then the coordinate axes are themselves rotating w.r.t. some inertial frame. Rotating frames are much more complex, and when you employ them you must make sure to account for centrifugal, Coriolis and Euler forces.

Note that you could, if you really wanted to, define a new reference frame that is both translating and rotating, with the origin still at ##m_1## however the axes aligned parallel and perpendicular to ##\vec{l}_1## always.

Then you would need to account for the whole ensemble of fictitious forces. Note that you would also need to redefine your coordinates, since the angle to the vertical axis in your rotating and translating frame will not be ##\theta_2##!

etotheipi said:
You don't need to here. We can choose our non-inertial reference frame so that its origin tracks the position of ##m_1## but its axes are always still aligned with that of the lab frame, so it is an accelerating frame but not a rotating frame. So we only require the one fictitious force.
Got it, thanks a lot !
This choice of our non-inertial reference frame is the smartest one !
And thanks for having answered instantly !
I take this opportunity to ask you if you can suggest me some good resources (preferibly, but not necessarily, textbooks) where i can find all this stuff

Likes etotheipi
No problem :smile:, @TSny's the expert and can probably give you some much better recommendations, but I really like Morin's classical mechanics textbook. It does have quite a good section on accelerating frames, and also quite a lot on rigid body motion.

MIT OpenCourseWare also has some really good mechanics stuff, maybe have a look into that too!

Thanks again !
I'll take it. Unfortunately in my university there's no a specific course about classical/Newtonian mechanics but it's only a part of physics course, even if in higher courses I need it, so I'm trying to delve into the topic.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system consisting of two pendulums connected to each other, with the second pendulum attached to the end of the first one. This system is often used to demonstrate chaotic behavior in physics.

2. How are the equations of motion for a double pendulum derived using Newton's laws?

The equations of motion for a double pendulum can be derived using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By considering the forces acting on each pendulum in the system, the equations of motion can be derived using basic trigonometry and calculus.

3. What factors affect the motion of a double pendulum?

The motion of a double pendulum is affected by several factors, including the initial conditions (such as the starting angles and velocities of each pendulum), the length and mass of each pendulum, and the gravitational force acting on the system. Small changes in these factors can result in significantly different outcomes due to the chaotic nature of the system.

4. Can the equations of motion for a double pendulum be solved analytically?

No, the equations of motion for a double pendulum cannot be solved analytically (using mathematical equations) due to their complexity. Instead, numerical methods must be used to approximate the motion of the system.

5. How is the behavior of a double pendulum different from a single pendulum?

The behavior of a double pendulum is significantly different from that of a single pendulum. While a single pendulum has predictable, periodic motion, a double pendulum exhibits chaotic, unpredictable motion due to the effects of the two pendulums interacting with each other. This makes the double pendulum a useful tool for studying chaotic systems in physics.