Double-slit experiment questions

In summary: Obviously, the only change is the orientation of a polarizer and that is sufficient to change the results from interference to no interference. So that does not correspond to your hypothesis. Because the same kinds of measurements are happening regardless of polarizer orientation!
v6WR5Pfk6Jm4
I recently been reading up quantum physics including the double-slit experiments and I got two basic questions:

1# Why does the electron not act like a wave when there is only one slit? Shouldn't a single slit still result in a wave like pattern?

2# 'Measuring' the wave seems to turn it into a particle. Even if this is done after the slits. Yet some scientist are calling this potential time travel. How do they know its not simple a wave that instantly turns into a particle at the point of 'measurement' without any 'time travel'?

Physics news on Phys.org
v6WR5Pfk6Jm4 said:
I recently been reading up quantum physics including the double-slit experiments and I got two basic questions:

1# Why does the electron not act like a wave when there is only one slit? Shouldn't a single slit still result in a wave like pattern?

It does. If you map out the pattern from thousands of electrons on the detector, you will find that it matches that of a wave passing through a single slit. See here: http://physics.bgsu.edu/~stoner/P202/quantum2/sld012.htm

The pattern matches that of light that passes through a single slit as well.

2# 'Measuring' the wave seems to turn it into a particle. Even if this is done after the slits. Yet some scientist are calling this potential time travel. How do they know its not simple a wave that instantly turns into a particle at the point of 'measurement' without any 'time travel'?

First, let me clarify that when we detect any particle, we are detecting it as a particle. It is only when we look at the combined pattern of many many particles do we see the wave-like effects such as interference. As for time travel, I don't see it that way.

First, let me clarify that when we detect any particle, we are detecting it as a particle. It is only when we look at the combined pattern of many many particles do we see the wave-like effects such as interference. As for time travel, I don't see it that way.

But that still leaves me with the same question... What if we 'measure' every single one these electrons/photons before during or after the slits, we wouldn't see interface in any of these situations right?. So why isn't the conclusion that the measures are simple 'converting' it into particles?

v6WR5Pfk6Jm4 said:
But that still leaves me with the same question... What if we 'measure' every single one these electrons/photons before during or after the slits, we wouldn't see interface in any of these situations right?. So why isn't the conclusion that the measures are simple 'converting' it into particles?

When this test is done with polarized light, you can see why this view can be eliminated. Have the source light polarized at 45 degrees. Place a polarizer in front of the left slit oriented at 0 degrees. Place another polarizer in front of the right slit also oriented at 0 degrees. RESULT: no information is gained when light comes through the slits as to which slit the photon passed through. Therefore, an interference pattern IS seen.

Change the polarizer in front of the right slit to be oriented at 90 degrees. The photon can now only go through the left slit OR the right slit, but NOT BOTH. Further, if you were to measure the polarization of the photon when it hits the screen, you would know which slit the photon went through. You don't actually need to do this, it is enough that you could. RESULT: information IS gained when light comes through the slits as to which slit the photon passed through. Therefore, NO interference pattern is seen.

Obviously, the only change is the orientation of a polarizer and that is sufficient to change the results from interference to no interference. So that does not correspond to your hypothesis. Because the same kinds of measurements are happening regardless of polarizer orientation!

Related to Double-slit experiment questions

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the significance of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is significant because it challenges our understanding of light and matter. It shows that particles, such as photons, can behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns, which was previously thought to be exclusive to waves.

3. How does the double-slit experiment work?

In the double-slit experiment, a beam of light is shone through two parallel slits. The light passing through the slits diffracts, or spreads out, and creates an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This interference pattern is the result of the light waves from each slit overlapping and either reinforcing or canceling each other out.

4. What are the implications of the double-slit experiment?

The implications of the double-slit experiment extend beyond just light and matter. It has also been demonstrated with electrons, atoms, and even large molecules, showing that the wave-particle duality is a fundamental property of nature. This experiment has also influenced the development of quantum mechanics, which is essential for our understanding of the microscopic world.

5. Are there any variations of the double-slit experiment?

Yes, there are several variations of the double-slit experiment, including the delayed-choice experiment, which allows for the measurement of the particle's path after it has already passed through the slits. There is also the quantum eraser experiment, which involves manipulating the path of the particles after they have passed through the slits, altering the resulting interference pattern. These variations continue to challenge our understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality.