Double slit experiment with magnets

In summary: Thermal photons (from the environment) are more problematic. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of recreating the double slit experiment with large objects using magnetism. The proposed experiment involves two vertical tubes with a magnet having a 50% chance of falling through each tube and landing on a floor below. The erratic speed of a fan would make it impossible to determine which tube the magnet fell from based on its final resting position. However, if two magnets were blown off simultaneously, they would be more likely to land on the center of the floor due to magnetic attraction. The question is whether the same result would occur if the magnets fell through the tubes one at a time without being observed. The expert summarizer explains that this experiment would not yield the
Commando Spaz
Hi everyone,

Lately I have been reading about the double slit experiment, I am wondering if it would be possible to recreate this experiment with visibly large objects using magnetism. The experiment I was thinking might be able to do this is as follows:

There are two vertical tubes, a magnet has a fifty percent chance of falling through the left tube, and a fifty percent chance of falling through the right tube. Beneath each tube is a ledge and a fan of a very erratically changing speed. The magnet will land on one of the ledges (depending on which tube it came down from), be blown off, and come to rest on a floor below and between the ledges. The fan would blow the magnet in such a way that the probability of it landing at anyone point on the floor would decrease with the distance from the ledge it was blown off, so it would be more likely for the magnet to fall on the edges of the floor than in the centre. However, the erratic nature of the speed of the fan would ensure that the magnet could be blown from either ledge to land on any part of the floor between them. Thus it would be impossible to tell with 100% confidence which tube the magnet originally fell from based only on its final resting position on the floor, although it would be possible to calculate the probability that it came down either tube.
The ledges are close enough to each other, and the floor is far enough below the ledges that if one magnet was blown off each ledge simultaneously they would always be brought together by magnetic attraction before landing on the floor below. This would mean that they would be more likely to land in the center of the floor than the edges. Thus a series of pairs of magnets falling through each tube simultaneously would yield an inverted pattern as opposed to magnets falling randomly through either tube one at a time.

My question is: what would happen if the magnets fell randomly through either of the tubes one at a time, but the process was not observed? i.e. only the only information collected was where they landed. Would the pattern be like that produced when the magnets fell through simultaneously (i.e. concentrated in the centre of the floor)? or would it be the same as if the process (i.e. which tube each magnet had fallen through) had been observed? I tried to attach a ppt presentation to help visualize the experiment but it wouldn't attach, sorry. Please explain your answers, I'm not trying to make a statement, I just want to know what would happen.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am wondering if it would be possible to recreate this experiment with visibly large objects using magnetism.
No. You'll never get coherence between your paths.

Thus it would be impossible to tell with 100% confidence which tube the magnet originally fell from based only on its final resting position on the floor
It would be. Your magnet is interacting with the gas in the tubes, with light (even thermal radiation), and basically with everything else. As an accelerated magnet, it would emit electromagnetic radiation, and so on. There is no way to switch that off with the setup you have in mind. It is hard enough to do this with larger molecules.
Your experiment would be purely classical.

Likes 1 person
Thanks mfb,

Would the result be the same if this experiment were conducted in a vacuum, and far enough underground to sufficiently reduce background radiation?

Yes. Even in a hypothetical perfect vacuum.
and far enough underground to sufficiently reduce background radiation?
This has nothing to do with cosmic radiation.

1. What is the double slit experiment with magnets?

The double slit experiment with magnets is a variation of the classic double slit experiment in which instead of light, the particles being used are magnets. The setup involves two magnets that have the same polarity facing each other, with a barrier in between that has two slits. The behavior of the magnets passing through the slits is then observed.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of the double slit experiment with magnets is to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that particles, such as magnets, can exhibit wave-like behavior and interfere with each other, similar to how light behaves in the classic double slit experiment.

3. What are the results of the experiment?

The results of the experiment show an interference pattern on the other side of the barrier where the magnets have passed through the slits. This pattern is similar to the interference pattern observed in the classic double slit experiment with light, indicating that the magnets also have wave-like properties.

4. How does this experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment with magnets is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics, as it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It also shows the probabilistic nature of quantum systems, as the interference pattern cannot be predicted for individual particles, but only observed in a large number of particles.

5. What are the real-world applications of this experiment?

The double slit experiment with magnets has practical applications in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It also helps scientists better understand the behavior of quantum systems, which can lead to advancements in various fields such as materials science and medicine.