Double slit interactive detector

In summary, it has not been possible to do a double slit experiment with a detector at the slit, where the detector's state was changed as a result of a particle being at that slit.
CHOP
my understanding is that there has never been a double slit experiment with a detector at the slit, where that detector's state was changed as a result of a particle being at that slit. if true, then if such a schema was possible and tried, then there would be no interference, and the reason there would be no interference is because the 'which-path' info exists in nature (particularly, in the fact that the detector was changed). is all of that correct?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
CHOP said:
my understanding is that there has never been a double slit experiment with a detector at the slit, where that detector's state was changed as a result of a particle being at that slit. if true, then if such a schema was possible and tried, then there would be no interference, and the reason there would be no interference is because the 'which-path' info exists in nature (particularly, in the fact that the detector was changed). is all of that correct?
thank you

:Welcome:

When you place a detector at a slit (something which has been done in many different ways), you do not get an interference pattern (just as you say). Also as you say, it does not matter if the detector is changed or not IF the which path info exists somewhere.

Note: this is my post 7000. :smile:

Likes Mentz114 and StevieTNZ
Hi thanks very much for your response,
But if the slit detector was changed, that fact (by itself) would mean that 'which path' info is available. Correct?
So I don't understand why you specified that it does not matter if the detector was changed. It does matter because the change is the info being available (in principle). What am I missing?
Also, congratulations to you on 7k! And I guess, to me!

Oh hang on, I think I got your point. You are saying that whatever is most directly connected to that particle (which is not the detector but the interaction with the particle which enabled the detector to detect) is how 'which path' info manifests. The detector merely responds to that manifestation, so its change is not relevant to the non interference (it is just a kind of spreading of the path info). Is that right? If that is right, then may I ask: Has there been any experiment of exactly that kind? Where something was applied by the slits which interacted with the particle (causing non interference)? If so, what experiment?

1. What is a double slit interactive detector?

A double slit interactive detector is a scientific apparatus used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. It consists of a light source, a barrier with two slits, and a screen or detector to observe the resulting pattern.

2. How does a double slit interactive detector work?

The double slit interactive detector works by emitting a beam of light through two narrow slits in a barrier. The light waves diffract and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of light and dark bands on the screen or detector. This pattern demonstrates the wave-like behavior of light.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it was one of the first experiments to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. It showed that light behaves as both a wave and a particle, depending on how it is observed. This experiment also laid the foundation for quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can the double slit experiment be performed with other particles besides light?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be performed with other particles, such as electrons and atoms. This further supports the wave-particle duality concept and shows that all particles exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

5. What are the practical applications of the double slit interactive detector?

The double slit interactive detector has practical applications in fields such as optics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. It is also used in educational settings to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light and to help students understand fundamental concepts in physics.