Double slit question - how far apart can the slits be?

In summary, the double slit experiment still works if the slits are spaced far enough apart and the incident beam is spread out.
brajesh
TL;DR Summary
I was wondering how far apart the slits can be and the double slit experiment still works?
How far apart can the slits be and the double slit experiment still works i.e the wave interference pattern is seen on the target screen?

Physics news on Phys.org
brajesh said:
Summary:: I was wondering how far apart the slits can be and the double slit experiment still works?

How far apart can the slits be and the double slit experiment still works i.e the wave interference pattern is seen on the target screen?
It depends on the spread of the incident beam, which needs to cover both slits. If you put the slits too far apart, then all of the incident beam is absorbed by the first barrier.

Likes brajesh and sysprog
So does that mean that theoretically, let's say the incident beam spread is an arc of 30 degrees, then if I move the slits apart AND also keep moving the barrier further away such that both slits are still covered by the beam, that I could have a very large separation and still continue to see the effect?

brajesh said:
So does that mean that theoretically, let's say the incident beam spread is an arc of 30 degrees, then if I move the slits apart AND also keep moving the barrier further away such that both slits are still covered by the beam, that I could have a very large separation and still continue to see the effect?
The double-slit is not anything special: it's just the way nature works. It's not a trick. Whatever set up you have, you can do the calculations and predict the result.

To see an interference pattern you need:

1) The beam must straddle both slits (approximately equally).

2) The slits must be narrow enough for significant single-slit diffraction.

3) The slits must be close enough together so that the single-slit diffraction patterns significantly overlap.

There's no magic about this. If the slits are too wide, you don't get enough diffraction; and, if they are too far apart you get two separate single-slit patterns.

Likes vanhees71, DrChinese, brajesh and 1 other person
brajesh said:
Yes, although as we move the barrier away the intensity goes down so there's less of anything to see - or equivalently the dots per second rate goes down and it takes longer for the pattern to build up.

Likes brajesh
brajesh said:
What would you be trying to accomplish by having the source 30 degrees (or whatever angle) off the vertical? Normally you want the source to go straight to the slits so that they are illuminated as close to equally as possible. To the extent they are not equal, the interference effect is lessened.

You can make the distance between the slits any value you like. Normally it is recommended to have the slits about a wavelength apart, and on the order of a wavelength wide, but that is just a starting point. There are a lot of ways to create interference effects, and in all of them the key is that there are (at least) 2 ways for light to get to a spot. The less distinguishable the path, the greater the interference effect (which obviously can be positive or negative).

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
It depends on the spread of the incident beam
Let me try to be semantically pedantic. I would prefer to talk about the "width" of the essentially collimated incident beam. "Spread" implies to me a large lack of incident collimation and simply complicates the picture.

hutchphd said:
Let me try to be semantically pedantic. I would prefer to talk about the "width" of the essentially collimated incident beam. "Spread" implies to me a large lack of incident collimation and simply complicates the picture.
I was using "spread" as a synonym for statistical dispersion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_dispersion

Likes vanhees71
Oh my apologies...I didn't look carefully enough. I should never try pedantry.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How far apart can the slits be in the double slit experiment?

The distance between the two slits can vary, but it is typically in the range of micrometers to millimeters. The exact distance will depend on the wavelength of the light being used and the desired interference pattern.

3. What happens if the slits are too close together or too far apart?

If the slits are too close together, the interference pattern will be too spread out and difficult to observe. If the slits are too far apart, the interference pattern will be too narrow and may not be visible. It is important to find the right distance between the slits to achieve a clear and observable interference pattern.

4. Can the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

Yes, the distance between the slits can greatly affect the interference pattern. As the distance between the slits increases, the interference pattern becomes wider and the fringes become closer together. This is due to the fact that the distance between the slits affects the phase difference between the waves passing through them.

5. Is there a maximum distance between the slits in the double slit experiment?

There is no specific maximum distance between the slits in the double slit experiment. However, as the distance between the slits increases, the interference pattern becomes less defined and eventually disappears. This is because the waves passing through the slits become more and more out of phase, resulting in destructive interference instead of constructive interference.