Doubts about the electric field created by a ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field created by a uniformly charged ring with a linear density of charge at any point on the z-axis. The conversation includes the use of integration to calculate the electric field and the issues with handling vector components. The person also expresses confusion about the use of constants and variables in integrals.
Guillem_dlc
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
I have the calculation of the electric field created by a ring of radius ##R## uniformly charged with a linear density of charge ##\lambda## at any point on the axis perpendicular to its surface (##z## axis), but I have some doubts about it. I'll leave you the calculation done first:
Captura de 2022-03-20 16-58-59.png

In ##x## axis the field is ##0##. We calculate the electric field:
$$dE=k\dfrac{dq}{r^2}\rightarrow dq=\lambda dl$$
$$E=k\int_0^L \dfrac{\lambda dl}{r^2}=\dfrac{k\lambda}{r^2}\int_0^L dl=\dfrac{k\lambda}{r^2}2\pi R$$
because we have a ring: ##2\pi R##
$$E=\dfrac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0}\dfrac{2\pi R}{r^2}=\dfrac{\lambda}{2\varepsilon_0}{R}{r^2}=\dfrac{\lambda R}{2\varepsilon_0 r^2}$$
$$E_z=E\cdot \cos \alpha =E\cdot \dfrac{z}{r}=\dfrac{\lambda}{2\varepsilon_0}\dfrac{zR}{r^3}=\dfrac{\lambda zR}{2\varepsilon_0 (z^2+R^2)^{3/2}}$$
because $r=\sqrt{z^2+R^2}$.

Question: I have problems with these exercises with integrals. For example, I understand this, but the drawing of the principle I don't see because it takes two instead of one and in the integral I don't understand because in some exercises there are things that are constant and things that are not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guillem_dlc said:
I have the calculation of the electric field created by a ring of radius ##R## uniformly charged with a linear density of charge ##\lambda## at any point on the axis perpendicular to its surface (##z## axis), but I have some doubts about it. I'll leave you the calculation done first:
View attachment 298668

$$E=k\int_0^L \dfrac{\lambda dl}{r^2}=\dfrac{k\lambda}{r^2}\int_0^L dl=\dfrac{k\lambda}{r^2}2\pi R$$
because we have a ring: ##2\pi R##
$$E=\dfrac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0}\dfrac{2\pi R}{r^2}=\dfrac{\lambda}{2\varepsilon_0}{R}{r^2}=\dfrac{\lambda R}{2\varepsilon_0 r^2}$$
$$E_z=E\cdot \cos \alpha =E\cdot \dfrac{z}{r}=\dfrac{\lambda}{2\varepsilon_0}\dfrac{zR}{r^3}=\dfrac{\lambda zR}{2\varepsilon_0 (z^2+R^2)^{3/2}}$$
because $r=\sqrt{z^2+R^2}$.

Question: I have problems with these exercises with integrals. For example, I understand this, but the drawing of the principle I don't see because it takes two instead of one and in the integral I don't understand because in some exercises there are things that are constant and things that are not.
You got the right answer, but there are problems with what you did. First, the electric field is a vector quantity. You must analyse the vector components from the beginning. In this case, the ##x## and ##y## components cancel out by symmetry, leaving only the ##z## component, which is the same for any point on the ring.

That allows you to do this calculation without using integration:
$$dE_z = |d\vec E|\cos \alpha = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{dq}{r^2}\cos \alpha$$
And, as ##z## is fixed, everything is constant, so:
$$E_z = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{Q}{r^2}\cos \alpha$$
And you can express ##Q, r## and ##\alpha## in terms of ##\lambda, R## and ##z## to get your answer.

Of course, you can integrate round ther ring if you want to, but it must give simply the total charge ##Q = 2\pi R\lambda##.

Likes berkeman and Klystron
PeroK said:
You got the right answer, but there are problems with what you did. First, the electric field is a vector quantity. You must analyse the vector components from the beginning. In this case, the ##x## and ##y## components cancel out by symmetry, leaving only the ##z## component, which is the same for any point on the ring.

That allows you to do this calculation without using integration:
$$dE_z = |d\vec E|\cos \alpha = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{dq}{r^2}\cos \alpha$$
And, as ##z## is fixed, everything is constant, so:
$$E_z = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{Q}{r^2}\cos \alpha$$
And you can express ##Q, r## and ##\alpha## in terms of ##\lambda, R## and ##z## to get your answer.

Of course, you can integrate round ther ring if you want to, but it must give simply the total charge ##Q = 2\pi R\lambda##.

But they make me give it up to ##z##, don't they?

Guillem_dlc said:
But they make me give it up to ##z##, don't they?
I'm not sure what that means.

Guillem_dlc said:
To be more precise, this is the magnitude of the electric field due to the infinitesimal charge ##dq##.
Guillem_dlc said:
This is incorrect because you generally don't add vectors by adding magnitudes. You can, however, sum the components.
Guillem_dlc said:
Question: I have problems with these exercises with integrals. For example, I understand this, but the drawing of the principle I don't see because it takes two instead of one
I don't know what you mean "it takes two instead of one," but I'll guess you're referring to the two vectors in the drawing. I think if you recognize that ##\vec E## is a vector field, it may clear up your confusion.
Guillem_dlc said:
and in the integral I don't understand because in some exercises there are things that are constant and things that are not.
Can you give an example? It's usually pretty straightforward to decide if a quantity in the integral is a constant or not.

Likes PeroK
vela said:
Can you give an example? It's usually pretty straightforward to decide if a quantity in the integral is a constant or not.

For example in this it made me make a different integral you know

Guillem_dlc said:
For example in this it made me make a different integral you know
The integral is really no different in the two cases. The general procedure is to write a vector element of the field use the general form $$d\vec E=\frac{kdq(\vec r -\vec {r}')}{|\vec r -\vec {r}'|^3}$$where ##\vec r## is the position vector of the point where the electric field is to be found and ##\vec {r}'## is the position vector of the element of charge ##dq##. Integrals are to be done over the primed variables.
First, you set up the position vectors. In the ring example
##\vec r = z~\hat k~;~~\vec {r}'=R\cos\phi '~\hat i+R\sin \phi '~\hat j~.~~## Then
##(\vec r -\vec {r}')=-R\cos\phi '~\hat i-R\sin \phi '~j +z~\hat k~~## and
##|\vec r -\vec {r}'|^3=\left[R^2+z^2\right]^{3/2}~~##so that $$d\vec E=\frac{kdq(-R\cos\phi '~\hat i-R\sin \phi '~j +z~\hat k)}{\left[R^2+z^2\right]^{3/2}}.$$Second, you find the components of the field formally by integration over the primed coordinates, in this case ##\phi '## after setting ##dq=\frac{Q}{2\pi}d\phi '##
$$\begin{align} & E_x=\frac{kQ}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{(-R\cos\phi ')d\phi '}{\left[R^2+z^2\right]^{3/2}}=0 \nonumber \\ & E_y=\frac{kQ}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{(-R\sin\phi ')d\phi '}{\left[R^2+z^2\right]^{3/2}}=0 \nonumber \\ & E_z=\frac{kQ}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{z d\phi '}{\left[R^2+z^2\right]^{3/2}}= \frac{ kQz }{\left[R^2+z^2\right]^{3/2}}\nonumber \end{align}.$$The linear charge distribution follows the same method except in one dimension.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field created by a ring?

The formula for calculating the electric field created by a ring is E = kQx / (x^2 + R^2)^(3/2), where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, x is the distance from the center of the ring, and R is the radius of the ring.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance from the ring?

The electric field created by a ring varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center of the ring. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

3. Can the direction of the electric field created by a ring change?

No, the direction of the electric field created by a ring is always perpendicular to the plane of the ring and points away from the center of the ring.

4. How does the electric field created by a ring change if the charge or radius of the ring is doubled?

If the charge of the ring is doubled, the electric field will also double. If the radius of the ring is doubled, the electric field will decrease by a factor of 4.

5. Is the electric field created by a ring affected by the presence of other charges?

Yes, the electric field created by a ring can be affected by the presence of other charges. The presence of other charges can alter the direction and magnitude of the electric field at different points in space.