Doubts in Calculating Nuclear Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations involved in nuclear reactions and the temperature of individual isotopes. The Coulomb barrier is mentioned as a factor in the reaction, but it is not a temperature. The temperature is a property of a large collection of particles, not individual nuclei. The Gamow factor is also mentioned as a way to determine the likelihood of a reaction.
NikolaTesla2
I am not talking about the reactions of simple atoms in chemistry, I am speaking, for example deuterium, heavy water, isotopes of hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, etc.I would like to know how to calculate when two atoms merge, to know mathematically what atom will form, example deuterium + deuterium = helium
c12e648d285664474e892f4cf77f7b29.jpg
fig03.jpg
Can someone explain me the calculations? I'm new to the forum, please!

Attachments

• c12e648d285664474e892f4cf77f7b29.jpg
    c12e648d285664474e892f4cf77f7b29.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 406
  • fig03.jpg
    fig03.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 408
  • fig03.jpg
    fig03.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
termometro1-234x300.jpg
:nb)o0):mad::eek:o_OCalculation of the reaction temperature of two atomic nuclei......?I Now that I understand the calculation of the nuclear reaction, I want to understand the calculation of the temperature of each isotope ! understood ??do not see the need to create another topic if I have already created this one! I have a high school diploma, I have finished, I'm still not doing university! I'm talking about the temperature of each individual isotope, and not the temperature of the reaction, does that make sense to you? about the nuclear reaction, which was the topic of my first topic the friend Berkemam helped me, now the problem is this temperature ! I do not know if my question is relevant or not, but thanks to whoever is interested in answering my question!

Attachments

• termometro1-234x300.jpg
    termometro1-234x300.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Isotopes don't have temperatures.
Temperature is a property of a large collection of particles in a system. You can talk about the temperature of a gas of hydrogen, for example. You can also talk about the temperature of a large group of nuclei of some isotope - but then the temperature depends on how this group is prepared, and it is a property of the group only, not a property of the individual nuclei.

Likes NikolaTesla2
mfb said:
Isotopes don't have temperatures.
Temperature is a property of a large collection of particles in a system. You can talk about the temperature of a gas of hydrogen, for example. You can also talk about the temperature of a large group of nuclei of some isotope - but then the temperature depends on how this group is prepared, and it is a property of the group only, not a property of the individual nuclei.
so it is a property of the individual nuclei, but I searched the internet talking about the coumlob barrier of each atom, if I am wrong correct me please, or it would be the barrier that each nucleus has, and the maximum temperature that is needed to happen the merger is confusing ! I am almost understanding this subject, I have much to learn because electronic study and not physical, but I find physics very interesting !:nb)o:)?:):mad:o_O:biggrin:

The Coulomb barrier is a property of a pair of nuclei. That is not a temperature. It is the electric potential energy the nuclei have just before "touching" (before the strong interaction pulls them together). While you can give the nuclei that much energy in an accelerator for example that is not done in fusion reactors. It is sufficient to get them close, they can tunnel through the remaining potential barrier. The Gamow factor can tell you how likely a reaction is.

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom undergoes a change, resulting in the formation of a different atom or the emission of particles such as alpha, beta, or gamma rays.

2. How are nuclear reactions calculated?

Nuclear reactions are calculated using mathematical equations and principles from nuclear physics. These equations take into account factors such as the types of particles involved, their energies, and the conservation of mass and energy.

3. What are some common doubts in calculating nuclear reactions?

Some common doubts in calculating nuclear reactions include uncertainties in the initial conditions, the effect of outside forces on the reaction, and the accuracy of the mathematical models used.

4. How do scientists account for uncertainties in nuclear reaction calculations?

Scientists account for uncertainties in nuclear reaction calculations by using statistical methods and conducting multiple experiments to gather a range of data. They also take into consideration potential errors and limitations of the models used.

5. What are some applications of calculating nuclear reactions?

Calculating nuclear reactions is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of nuclear processes, such as nuclear power generation and nuclear weapons. It also has applications in medical imaging and cancer treatment through the use of nuclear medicine.