Download Knowledgebase / Suggestions for Research Sites

In summary, the author is looking for encyclopedias and databases of knowledge for offline use. She is open to any reputable sources.
lesah
I wasn't sure if this was better here, or somewhere in the Education sub-forums. I'm not in school, though. This is just for personal use; for fun and for research.

At a glance: Looking for downloadable encyclopedias/knowledge-bases (non-Wikipedia, already have), and suggestions for research sites.

More Info: I'd like to find any encyclopedias or databases of knowledge for offline use/downloadable. They can be general knowledge or topic-specific. Anything nature-specific, from a conservationist or naturalist or scientific view is great. And anything science.

Some of my research needs are for writing short stories, so really, any reputable source of info is useful. (Examples: history of the old west, history of civilization, animals, weapons or gun history, nature encyclopedias, etc.)

Thank you in advance if you're able to respond. I appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Um...

The requirement that it be downloadable seems kind of arbitrary.

For purposes of short story writing it would seem that you don't need scholarly academic journals, at least for the most part. If there turns out to be an error in fact (who shot first at a given gun fight) it would seem not to be all that important for this application.

Maybe what you want is a Kindle and an account at Amazon?

Hi DEvens,
Thanks for the reply. True, the downloadable part isn't necessary, as I can print PDF's of webpages. I don't have internet at home, so downloading a full or partial database would be more convenient.

Even if it's not downloadable, if you or anyone has any preferred sites you go to for research, knowledgebase, etc., that would be helpful. I'd like to find alternatives to wikipedia. It's great for getting a definition or overview, but since there's been so much continued controversy over a small pool of editors, articles being biased, etc., I'd like to have several places to double and triple check info.

Thanks.

What is a knowledgebase and why is it important for research?

A knowledgebase is a digital repository or database that contains information and data related to a specific topic or subject. It is important for research because it provides a central location for researchers to access and utilize relevant information in their studies.

What are some key features to look for in a good knowledgebase for research?

Some key features to look for in a good knowledgebase for research include a user-friendly interface, comprehensive search capabilities, and reliable and credible sources. It should also have regular updates and access to a wide range of information and data.

Can I suggest new research sites to be added to a knowledgebase?

Yes, many knowledgebases have a suggestion or submission feature where users can recommend new research sites to be added. This helps to keep the knowledgebase current and relevant to the research community.

How can a knowledgebase help me with my research project?

A knowledgebase can help with research projects by providing access to a variety of sources and data related to the topic. It can also help in organizing and managing information, saving time and effort for researchers.

Are there any limitations to using a knowledgebase for research?

While knowledgebases can be a valuable tool for research, they may have limitations such as restricted access to certain information or data, and the possibility of outdated or biased sources. It is always important for researchers to critically evaluate the information they find in a knowledgebase.