Drag Coefficient out by a factor of 10, can anyone help?

In summary, the individual is conducting an experiment on the drag of a sphere and is trying to determine the drag coefficient. They have gathered data from a wind tunnel and calculated a drag coefficient of 5.039, which they believe to be incorrect. They are seeking assistance in identifying any potential errors in their calculations.
Euan2007
Drag Coefficient out by a factor of 10, can anyone help??

Im doing an experiment on the drag of a sphere and am trying to work out the drag coefficient. From looking at data online this should be around 0.5 (its a smooth sphere). Using a wind tunnel I measured the drag for various sizes of spheres and wind speeds. An example of one of my results is

Drag - 0.68N
Wind Speed - 7.8m/s
Radius of Sphere - 0.0371m

Then, using the formula

Drag Coefficent = (2 x Drag) / Area x Wind Speed^2 x Density of Air

Having measured the room temperature to be 22 degrees celcius I took the density of air to be 1.204kg/m^3 and the projected frontal area was calculated using pi x r^2

But this equals 5.039! so could anyone point out where I am going wrong?? I am 90% sure all of my values are correct. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you absolutely sure about the calculated drag force? Your equation is correct, although I get 4.293 when I plug your data into it (probably rounding differences). I'm not terribly familiar with wind tunnels, but try checking the units of the readings that you're getting from it.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure that all of your units are consistent. It is also possible that there may be some error in your measurements or experimental setup that is causing the discrepancy in your results. I would recommend consulting with a colleague or mentor to review your data and calculations and see if they can identify any potential sources of error. Additionally, you may want to consider conducting multiple trials to ensure the accuracy and reproducibility of your results. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is the drag coefficient and why is it important?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless number that represents the resistance of an object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the amount of drag force that will act on an object, which is crucial for designing efficient and aerodynamic vehicles and structures.

2. How is the drag coefficient calculated?

The drag coefficient is calculated by dividing the drag force by the product of the fluid density, the velocity of the object, and the reference area. The drag force can be measured experimentally or calculated using theoretical models.

3. What factors can affect the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient can be affected by many factors, including the shape and size of the object, the type of fluid it is moving through, the surface roughness of the object, and the angle of attack (for airfoils).

4. How can I improve the drag coefficient of my design?

To improve the drag coefficient, you can try changing the shape or size of the object, smoothing out any rough surfaces, or adjusting the angle of attack. It may also be helpful to conduct experiments or simulations to find the most optimal design.

5. What could cause the drag coefficient to be off by a factor of 10?

This could be due to errors in measurement or calculation, such as incorrect fluid density or velocity, or using inaccurate theoretical models. It is important to carefully check all variables and methods used to calculate the drag coefficient to ensure accuracy.