Help with drag coefficient calculated from ballistic coefficient

In summary, the game developer wants to create a video game about snipers and wants "credible" bullet physics. They need to implement a simple trajectory solver to achieve this. They have found that the drag coefficient varies dramatically with the Mach number, and so approximating the trajectory with a constant value doesn't seem right. They are considering using a lookup table to improve accuracy.
programador
I want to make a video game about snipers and I would like it to have proper bullet physics, not something very accurate, but with "credible" bullet physics. So I need to implement a simple trajectory solver.

I thought of taking into account just the gravity and turbulent air drag. The equations for the air drag according to Wikipedia are:
F = 1/2*ρ*v²*Cd*A, where Cd is the drag coefficient (0.47 for a sphere), so given a Cd value (or function of the velocity) I can already estimate the trajectory.
On the internet, these Cd values for bullets are not available, one can find just the "ballistic coefficients" --BC-- of some bullets if we search a bit. The thing is that I need a standardized formula to obtain the Cd values to determine the actual trajectories, most websites explain these concepts in a non "scientific way" and rather suggest to use some free tools to get the bullet drops. On wikipedia I find the formulas to be very ambiguous for what seem to be several BC definitions (BC-physics, BC-projectile and BC-smallarms).

What I understand so far is that the drag coefficient varies with the Mach number (in this case v/340 in the SI units) and bullet manufacturers give a BC value using the G-model as the reference (how? what is the formula linking both things). I was lucky enough to find the G1 drag coefficient table that is mentioned everywhere but not shown. What I need now is how to use this table, the given BCs values and of course the mass and velocities to estimate a bullet's trajectory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you search exterior ballistics? The Hornady hit has a good discussion, and the Wikipedia hit has a nice chart of drag vs Mach number.

Since you only want "good enough to be credible", you could use published information for bullet velocity at various ranges to find a drag coefficient. Use the air drag equation you listed, and adjust the Cd until the calculated velocity matches the published velocity at the various ranges. Then solve for bullet drop. The errors from assuming constant Cd will be relatively small, so the results should be good enough to be credible. You will need to find a separate Cd for each bullet at its muzzle velocity.

jrmichler said:
Did you search exterior ballistics? The Hornady hit has a good discussion, and the Wikipedia hit has a nice chart of drag vs Mach number.

Since you only want "good enough to be credible", you could use published information for bullet velocity at various ranges to find a drag coefficient. Use the air drag equation you listed, and adjust the Cd until the calculated velocity matches the published velocity at the various ranges. Then solve for bullet drop. The errors from assuming constant Cd will be relatively small, so the results should be good enough to be credible. You will need to find a separate Cd for each bullet at its muzzle velocity.
That's what I have been doing, using a constant Cd, but as you can see from the figure you are referring, the Cd varies dramatically as a function of the Mach number in the range shown. So approximating the trajectory with a constant value doesn't seem right, specially with high velocity rifle projectiles.
Okay, I said "credible", but I think it takes almost zero additional effort to use a lookup table for the Cd parameter to improve the accuracy.
I have the feeling that it might be like this Cd(M) = G1(M)/BC, where G1 is the table I linked or the figure you referred, from
wikipedia said:
The deceleration due to drag that a projectile with mass m, velocity v, and diameter d will experience is proportional to 1/BC, 1/m, and .
(it doesn't give an actual formula, just a wordy explanation of the term OMG)

1. What is the drag coefficient and how is it related to ballistic coefficient?

The drag coefficient is a measure of the resistance an object experiences as it moves through a fluid, such as air. It is directly related to the ballistic coefficient, which is a measure of an object's ability to maintain its velocity and trajectory while in flight. A higher drag coefficient means that an object will experience more air resistance, which can affect its flight path and distance.

2. How is the drag coefficient calculated from the ballistic coefficient?

The drag coefficient can be calculated from the ballistic coefficient using the following formula: CD = BC/(m*A), where CD is the drag coefficient, BC is the ballistic coefficient, m is the mass of the object, and A is the reference area. The reference area is the frontal area of the object that is perpendicular to the direction of motion.

3. What factors affect the drag coefficient and ballistic coefficient?

The drag coefficient and ballistic coefficient can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the speed of the object. Other factors such as surface roughness, air temperature, and air pressure can also have an impact on these coefficients.

4. How do drag and ballistic coefficients impact the flight of projectiles?

The drag and ballistic coefficients play a crucial role in the flight of projectiles, such as bullets and rockets. These coefficients determine the amount of air resistance that the object will experience, which can affect its velocity, trajectory, and accuracy. A higher drag coefficient can also cause a projectile to lose energy and distance, while a higher ballistic coefficient can help it maintain its velocity and trajectory.

5. How are drag and ballistic coefficients used in engineering and design?

Drag and ballistic coefficients are important considerations in engineering and design, especially for objects that need to move through a fluid. By understanding and calculating these coefficients, engineers can optimize the shape and size of objects to reduce air resistance and improve their performance. These coefficients are also used in simulations and wind tunnel tests to predict the behavior of objects in different environments and conditions.