Drag force on a descending sphere

In summary: The drag force must act in the upward direction in order for the sphere to reach a stable equilibrium.
Est120
Homework Statement
compute the drag force on the sphere in dynes
Relevant Equations
weight of fluid displaced= rho*4/3pi*R^3
weight of hollow sphere= mg
i tried a force balance around the sphere but the weight of the displaced fluid is greater than the weight of the sphere which gives a net acceleration upwards and no terminal velocity but the book says that the terminal velocity has a certain value from there the exercise is meaningless to me

i Attach a photo of the solution where the numerical answer comes from, but as I told you, I no longer understood why a terminal velocity is reached if the Archimedean force is always constant and the weight of the sphere is also constant , so adding a force due to the resistance around the liquid would only accelerate the sphere upwards and it would never reach a constant terminal velocity in downwards direction. the book is Bird's Transporth phenomena page 193

Attachments

• Sphere drag force.PNG
    Sphere drag force.PNG
    34.8 KB · Views: 113
Physics news on Phys.org
Est120 said:
...adding a force due to the resistance around the liquid would only accelerate the sphere upwards and it would never reach a constant terminal velocity in downwards direction.
Are you assuming that the drag force must act in the upward direction? If so, why?

The downwards resistive force of drag depends on the value of the increasing upwards velocity; hence, a balance of forces can be reached at some velocity.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

:cool:

TSny said:
Are you assuming that the drag force must act in the upward direction? If so, why?

I believed that the force was going against the movement of the sphere and now it turns out that it is going downwards "helping" the sphere to fall

Est120 said:
helping" the sphere to fall
How do you know it is falling?

I think I understand now, the sphere at the beginning goes up and the friction always pushes it downwards but it is not enough, only when it acquires enough speed it reaches the terminal speed

Est120 said:
I think I understand now, the sphere at the beginning goes up and the friction always pushes it downwards but it is not enough, only when it acquires enough speed it reaches the terminal speed
Yes.

1. What is drag force?

Drag force is a force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid (such as air or water). It is caused by the resistance of the fluid to the motion of the object.

2. How is drag force calculated?

Drag force is calculated using the formula Fd = 0.5 * ρ * V^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What factors affect the drag force on a descending sphere?

The drag force on a descending sphere is affected by the density and viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the sphere, the shape and size of the sphere, and the surface roughness of the sphere.

4. How does the drag force change as the sphere descends?

As the sphere descends, the drag force initially increases due to the increasing velocity. However, at a certain point, the drag force reaches a maximum and then decreases as the velocity continues to increase.

5. How can the drag force on a descending sphere be reduced?

The drag force on a descending sphere can be reduced by decreasing the velocity, increasing the surface roughness of the sphere, or changing the shape of the sphere to one with a lower drag coefficient. Additionally, using a more streamlined shape can also reduce drag force.