Draw the graph of arctan((x-1)/(x+1))

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the domain, intercepts, concavity, increase/decrease, and asymptotes for a given graph. The participants come to the conclusion that there is no vertical asymptote at x=-1, but there is a horizontal asymptote at y=pi/4. They also discuss the behavior of the function as x approaches -1 and come to the conclusion that there is a jump discontinuity at x=-1, but the function does not approach infinity at that point. It is also mentioned that the graph may look different on different calculators due to the use of different functions.
kolua
I am so far able to find the domain, intercepts, concavity and increase/decrease. But I am stuck at finding the asymptotes for the graph.

I think there is no vertical asymptote or is there one at x=-1?
I think the horizontal asymptote is y=pi/4

Physics news on Phys.org
kolua said:
I am so far able to find the domain, intercepts, concavity and increase/decrease. But I am stuck at finding the asymptotes for the graph.

##\frac{x - 1}{x + 1} = 1 - \frac{2}{x + 1}##
What happens to ##arctan(1 - \frac{2}{x + 1})## as x gets very large or very negative?

kolua said:
For the vertical asymptote, ask yourself this: can you take the arctan of an undefined value? When will ##\frac{x-1}{x+1}## be undefined?

Mark44 said:
What happens to ##arctan(1 - \frac{2}{x + 1})## as x gets very large or very negative?
I think the limit of arctan((x-1)/(x+1)) as x approaches -1 from the right is pi/2 and as x approaches -1 from the left is -pi/2, which means there is no vertical asymptote here but a jump discontinuity here right?

Isaac0427 said:
For the vertical asymptote, ask yourself this: can you take the arctan of an undefined value? When will ##\frac{x-1}{x+1}## be undefined?
when x=-1 arctan is undefined but as x approaches x=-1 (x-1)/(x+1) approaches negative infinity and positive infinity from left and right. Let (x-1)/(x+1) = t, then arctan(t) approaches pi/2 and -pi/2 as t approaches the two infinity is this correct? then there is no vertical asymptote?

Mark44 said:
is the horizontal asymptote correct? is there any other horizontal asymptote that I am missing? I got a graph like this, but I'm not sure if it is correct

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 3.57.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 3.57.11 PM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 897
kolua said:
when x=-1 arctan is undefined but as x approaches x=-1 (x-1)/(x+1) approaches negative infinity and positive infinity from left and right.
I don't believe that is so. It is undefined at x=-1, but I don't believe that as x approaches -1 that the function approaches infinity with either sign.
kolua said:
then there is no vertical asymptote?
No, x=-1 is the vertical asymptote.

Isaac0427 said:
No, x=-1 is the vertical asymptote.
That's not correct.

Samy_A said:
That's not correct.
Ok, I am probably thinking of an incorrect definition of asymptote. The function does get infinitely close to but never reaches π/4 as x approaches -1. Does this not make it an asymptote?

Isaac0427 said:
Ok, I am probably thinking of an incorrect definition of asymptote. The function does get infinitely close to but never reaches π/4 as x approaches -1. Does this not make it an asymptote?
x approaches infinity and function goes to pi/4 that's the definition of a horizontal asymptote, correct?

kolua said:
x approaches infinity and function goes to pi/4 that's the definition of a horizontal asymptote, correct?
Yes that it definitely an asymptote. I'm just not sure about x=-1.

Isaac0427 said:
No. A function f has a vertical asymptote at x=a if ##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a^+}f(x)=\pm \infty## or ##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a^-}f(x)=\pm \infty##.
That's definitely not the case with an arctan.

Samy_A said:
No. A function f has a vertical asymptote at x=a if ##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a^+}f(x)=\pm \infty## or ##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a^-}f(x)=\pm \infty##.
Ok, my bad.

Samy_A said:
I'm not sure if the graph looks like that. Because the calculator gives a different image.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 3.57.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 3.57.11 PM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 625
kolua said:
I'm not sure if the graph looks like that. Because the calculator gives a different image.
That's the graph my calculator gives.

kolua said:
You misunderstood me. I was answering @Isaac0427 's post concerning vertical asymptotes. The definition of a vertical asymptote makes it evident that your function doesn't have vertical asymptotes. At x=-1 it has a jump discontinuity, exactly as you wrote.

Last edited:
upload_2016-2-2_21-48-13.png

I used Atan2, which takes the x and y values separately.

The trickiest part is figuring out what happens as x → -1 from above and from below. It appears from your graph that you've already done that.

But " The function does get infinitely close to but never reaches π/4 as x approaches -1." is not true, because of a mistake in this statement. It's also important to consider the cases x < -1 and x > -1 separately when x → -1.

Last edited:

Related to Draw the graph of arctan((x-1)/(x+1))

1. What is the domain of the given function?

The domain of arctan((x-1)/(x+1)) is all real numbers except for -1, as the function is undefined at this point.

2. How can I sketch the graph of this function?

To sketch the graph, it is helpful to first find the asymptotes. In this case, the vertical asymptote is x = -1 and the horizontal asymptote is y = π/2. Then, plot a few points on either side of the vertical asymptote to get an idea of the shape of the graph. The end result should be a curve that approaches the asymptotes on either side.

3. Is the graph of this function symmetrical?

No, the graph is not symmetrical. It is only symmetrical about the point (0,0).

4. Can you explain the behavior of the graph near the vertical asymptote?

The graph approaches the vertical asymptote from both sides, but never touches it. As x gets closer to -1, the value of the function approaches negative infinity on the left side and positive infinity on the right side.

5. How does the value of x affect the value of the function?

The value of x affects the value of the function by changing the slope and the vertical shift of the graph. As x approaches infinity, the graph becomes increasingly horizontal. As x approaches -1, the graph becomes increasingly vertical. This is because the value of x in the denominator is causing the function to approach the vertical asymptote.