How to graph by hand: y=log((x/(x+2))

• Thread starter srfriggen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph hand
In summary, a graphing calculator was used to see similarities between x/(x+2) and log((x/(x+2)) but it was not possible to make the leap to the latter. The end behavior for the inner function was discovered to have a horizontal asymptote at 0 and a vertical asymptote at x = -2. The function may be easier to plot if x = f(y) is first known.
srfriggen
Homework Statement
Sketch a graph, without the use of a calculator, y=log((x/(x+2))
Relevant Equations
y=log((x/(x+2))
I first attempted to find the x and y intercepts, algebraically, and discovered there were none. I then split the equation into y= log(x) - log(x+2) to see if that would give me any insight. It did not.

I used a graphing calculator and saw many similarities between x/(x+2) and log((x/(x+2)) but cannot make the leap to the latter.

I'm now considering the end behavior for the inner function and realizing there is a horizontal asymptote of y = 1. That means the end behavior of the outer function must have a horizontal asymptote at 0, since we are evaluating numbers closer and closer to 1 with the log function.

There is a vertical asymptote as x = -2

I think now I just need to test some points to see where the function is positive or negative.

And I just realized there must be an asymptote where the inner function is zero, i.e. x = 0. So I just tested some points and found the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It may be easier to plot [itex]x = f(y)[/itex] first. But that's only because I know [itex]f(y)[/itex] is a translation and scaling of a hyperbolic function which I can plot without a calculator.

Otherwise, remember that [itex]\log[/itex] is only defined for positive arguments, and is positive when its argument is greater than 1.

As an alternative to what @pasmith wrote, I would sketch (by hand) a graph of y = x/(x + 2), noting that there is an obvious vertical asymptote around x = -2. Also, because this function is the quotient of two polynomials of the same degree, there will be a horizontal asymptote. Once you have figured out what the graph looks like around the vertical asymptote and for large or very negative x values, you should have a reasonable sketch of this function.

Then, do a graph of y = log(x/(x + 2)), keeping in mind that this function is defined only where x/(x + 2) > 0.

Likes SammyS
[tex]y=-\log(1+\frac{2}{x})[/tex]
How about drawing graph of
[tex]y=1+\frac{2}{x}[/tex]at first to know for which x y>0, y=0, y=1, y=##\infty##.

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the domain and range of the logarithmic function y=log((x/(x+2)))?

The domain of a logarithmic function is all real numbers greater than 0, since the logarithm of 0 is undefined. The range of this particular function is all real numbers, since the function can output both positive and negative values.

2. What are the key points I should plot when graphing y=log((x/(x+2))) by hand?

When graphing a logarithmic function, it is important to plot the x-intercept, which in this case is at (0,0). Additionally, you should plot the point (1,0) and the point (2,1), as these are important reference points for the graph.

3. How do I determine the vertical asymptote of y=log((x/(x+2)))?

The vertical asymptote of a logarithmic function is the value that makes the denominator of the function equal to 0. In this case, the vertical asymptote is at x=-2, since plugging in -2 for x would result in a denominator of 0.

4. Can I use a ruler to draw the graph of y=log((x/(x+2)))?

Yes, you can use a ruler to draw the graph of this logarithmic function. However, it is important to plot enough points to accurately represent the shape of the graph, as the function may not be a straight line.

5. How can I check if I have accurately graphed y=log((x/(x+2))) by hand?

You can check your graph by plugging in several x-values and comparing the corresponding y-values to the points on your graph. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to compare your hand-drawn graph to a computer-generated one.