Drawing a vector from the x and y components.

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding problems involving vectors with given x and y components. The solution involves drawing a sketch and using the Pythagorean Theorem and trigonometry to find the vector's magnitude and direction. The person is not looking for someone to give them the answer, but rather guidance on how to solve the problems.
adare
Hey everybody, sorry if I sound like a noob, but I keep emailing my teacher and he doesn't respond, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me understand these types of problems.

Thanks!

Homework Statement

Each of the following vectors is given in terms of its x and y components. Draw the vector, label an angle that specifies the vector direction, then find the vector's magnitude and direction.
a. v(sub)x=20m/s, v(sub)y=40m/s
b. a(sub)x=2.0m/s^2, a(sub)y=-6.0m/s^2

P.S. I'm not looking for anyone to give me the answer I just would like to know how to go about solving them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a sketch. The x and y components are the legs of a right triangle. Use the Pythagorean Theorem and trig for the solution.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Related to Drawing a vector from the x and y components.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude. Vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

2. What are x and y components of a vector?

The x and y components of a vector are the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector, respectively. They represent the magnitude of the vector in the x and y directions. These components are used to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector in a two-dimensional coordinate system.

3. How do you draw a vector from its x and y components?

To draw a vector from its x and y components, you need to start at the origin (0,0) of a two-dimensional coordinate system and then move the vector's x distance to the right and y distance upwards. The tip of the arrow will then represent the endpoint of the vector.

4. What is the importance of drawing a vector from its x and y components?

Drawing a vector from its x and y components is important because it allows us to visualize and understand the direction and magnitude of the vector. It also helps us to perform mathematical operations on vectors, such as addition and subtraction, by breaking them down into their x and y components.

5. Can a vector have negative x and y components?

Yes, a vector can have negative x and y components. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive x and y axes. It is important to consider the signs of the components when performing mathematical operations on vectors.