Drawing Lewis structure and structural formula

In summary, drawing Lewis structures and structural formulas is used to visually represent the arrangement of atoms and electrons in a molecule. The number of valence electrons in an atom can be determined by its group number on the periodic table, and the octet rule helps determine the number of bonds and lone pairs in a Lewis structure. The steps for drawing a Lewis structure involve counting valence electrons, arranging atoms, connecting them with bonds, and placing remaining electrons to fulfill the octet rule. Resonance can occur in some molecules, resulting in multiple valid Lewis structures that contribute to the molecule's stability.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Draw the Lewis structure and structural formula for:

a) HCN
b) SO3 2-

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

xR4q4Z6.png

Did I do these correctly? Thanks!

Attachments

• xR4q4Z6.png
    xR4q4Z6.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,302
Physics news on Phys.org
(a) looks good.

The dot diagram for (b) looks good, but on the stick formula, I would suggest indicating the lone pairs present on each oxygen atom as well as indicating which atoms in the structure carry the negative charges (see the concept of formal charge to see how this is done).

Likes Physics345
Will do. I know how to apply formal charges, I just never thought it was necessary thanks though.

1. What is the purpose of drawing Lewis structures and structural formulas?

The purpose of drawing Lewis structures and structural formulas is to visually represent the arrangement of atoms and electrons in a molecule. This helps us understand the chemical bonding and overall structure of the molecule.

2. How do I determine the number of valence electrons in an atom?

The number of valence electrons in an atom can be determined by looking at its group number on the periodic table. For main group elements, the number of valence electrons is equal to the group number. For transition metals, the number of valence electrons can vary.

3. What is the octet rule and how does it apply to drawing Lewis structures?

The octet rule states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to achieve a full outer shell of 8 electrons. This applies to drawing Lewis structures by helping us determine the number of bonds and lone pairs that an atom can have in order to fulfill the octet rule.

4. What are the steps for drawing a Lewis structure?

The steps for drawing a Lewis structure are:

1. Count the total number of valence electrons in the molecule.
  2. Determine the central atom and arrange the atoms around it.
  3. Connect the atoms with single bonds.
  4. Place any remaining electrons around the atoms to fulfill the octet rule.
  5. If there are not enough electrons to fulfill the octet rule, form multiple bonds between atoms.
  6. Check the formal charges of each atom to ensure the most stable structure.

5. Can a molecule have more than one valid Lewis structure?

Yes, some molecules can have more than one valid Lewis structure. This is known as resonance and occurs when the electrons can be delocalized among multiple atoms in different arrangements. These resonance structures contribute to the overall stability of the molecule.