Drawing Molecules using openGL?

In summary, the conversation discussed the challenges of adding spheres to a diamond structure and asked for suggestions on how to move spheres along a connecting vertex line. It also mentioned the possibility of using c++ to model hexagonal ice and recommended the NeHe tutorials as a starting point for working with openGL. It was also suggested to consider using toolkits on top of openGL for easier implementation.
pazmush
So far I've managed to draw a sort of diamond structure but i want to put spheres on some of the connecting vertices, put figuring out the angles and distances is quite tough, i was wondering whether there was any way of moving a sphere along a connecting vertex line directly.

Any one any ideas?

Or has anyone ever modeled hexagonal ice using c++ before?

Thanks

Not sure if i was very clear though

Technology news on Phys.org
A good starting point for openGL is the NeHe tutorials http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Do you particularly need to use raw openGL? If you are doing this to learn openGL - great, but if you need to do the chemistry there are lots of toolkits on top of openGL that might make life easier.

I am not an expert in computer graphics or programming, so I am not familiar with the specific methods for drawing molecules using openGL. However, I can offer some general advice.

Firstly, it is great that you have already made progress in drawing a diamond structure. However, as you have mentioned, accurately placing spheres on the connecting vertices can be challenging. In this case, it would be helpful to refer to existing literature or resources on the topic. There may be specific algorithms or techniques that can aid in accurately placing spheres at specific angles and distances.

Additionally, it may also be helpful to reach out to other programmers or experts in the field who have experience with drawing molecules using openGL. They may have valuable insights or tips that can help you in your project.

As for modeling hexagonal ice using C++, it is certainly possible and has been done before. Again, it would be helpful to refer to existing literature or resources on the topic to guide your approach.

In summary, my advice would be to continue researching and seeking guidance from experts in the field to help you overcome the challenges you are facing in drawing molecules using openGL. Good luck with your project!

1. What is openGL and how does it relate to drawing molecules?

OpenGL is a graphics library that allows for the creation and rendering of 2D and 3D computer graphics. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications, including drawing molecules. OpenGl provides the necessary tools and functions for creating and manipulating complex molecular structures.

2. What are the benefits of using openGL for drawing molecules?

OpenGl offers high performance and efficient rendering capabilities, making it ideal for visualizing large and complex molecules. It also has cross-platform compatibility, meaning the same code can be used on different operating systems. Additionally, openGL allows for customizable and interactive graphics, allowing scientists to manipulate and analyze molecules in real-time.

3. Can openGL be used for both 2D and 3D molecule visualization?

Yes, openGL can be used for both 2D and 3D molecule visualization. It offers a variety of features and functions for creating and manipulating both 2D and 3D graphics. This allows scientists to choose the most appropriate visualization method for their research needs.

4. Are there any limitations to using openGL for drawing molecules?

While openGL is a powerful graphics library, it does have some limitations when it comes to drawing molecules. One limitation is that it does not provide built-in tools for generating 3D molecular models. Scientists will need to use other software or algorithms to create the initial 3D structure before using openGL for visualization.

5. Can beginners learn how to draw molecules using openGL?

Yes, beginners can learn how to draw molecules using openGL. While openGL is a complex library, there are many tutorials and resources available online to help beginners get started. Additionally, having a basic understanding of computer graphics and programming can make the learning process easier.