Drawing moon phases - what’s your opinion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of whiteboards and blackboards for teaching, specifically how to depict the phases of the moon. The speaker prefers to draw the visible part of the moon rather than shading the invisible part, and argues that this method is more intuitive and accurate. Despite some students disagreeing, the speaker sticks to their convention and suggests using a different color marker to represent the light and shadow. Another suggestion is to simply outline the visible part of the moon. The conversation also mentions that this method is commonly used in books and provides an example from Wikipedia Junior.
wins_shmer
The lit part of the moon in the dark sky is white, of course. What do you do when teaching on a whiteboard? If I use a blackboard, shading (with white chalk) the part that is lit make sense. However, I am always teaching on a whiteboard and using white paper in class. Therefore, I shade (with dark markers) the part that is lit.

I always draw a dotted circle and then fill in the part I can see. So a new moon is just a dotted circle and a full moon is completely filled in (I can see it!). There’s something positively feel-good and reinforcing about marking what you can see rather than trying to shade what you can’t see.

What do you think? I have students that argue with me about this every now and then, but I’m stuck in my old habits. I make it very clear at the beginning of class what my convention is.

Recently, I’ve had second thoughts. What do you think? What do you do in your classes?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think the students are just being difficult for the sake of it. You draw the part you can see.

I think on white the picture is counterintuitive and can make the subject more difficult to grasp.

I don't think its counterintuitive at all. People mainly grow up with writing on white backgrounds (paper). If anything it is the blackboard that is counterintuitive. Personally I've never thought of either as counterintuitive since the picture depicts what you observe no matter what colour the background is or the ink that the picture is drawn with. You draw the light, not the absence of it. In art when people deliberately draw the 'negative' of an image you can tell the difference since it looks wrong compared to the convention.

IMHO on the white paper you draw shadows which are lack of light. You may draw additional contours to help grasp what is on the picture, but you don't draw the light (unless you are trying to explain how lenses are working :smile:).

Why don't you get another color marker, say a red one. Then red can be white and black can be black.

If you want to be shading the part you can't see, then for consistency you need to shade the whole damn board :)

Colouring in the bit you can see (as you've been doing) makes more sense to me.

Pretend everything I draw on this board is just a representative interpretation of what you have seen with your own eyes all your life, ok? If you need a refresher look outside tonight.

Then you can draw anything you want. ;)

Why not just outline the visible part omitting the remainder of what is in shadow? A below quarter moon draws as a crescent; a greater than quarter less than a full circle. That's the way they are often drawn in books as outlines.

Wikipedia Junior shows this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Moon_symbol.ant.png

That just screams waxing moon to me.

Related to Drawing moon phases - what’s your opinion?

1. What is the purpose of drawing moon phases?

Drawing moon phases is a way to visually represent the changing appearance of the moon throughout its lunar cycle. It can help people understand the relationship between the moon, Earth, and the sun, and can also be used to track lunar patterns and cycles.

2. How do you draw accurate moon phases?

To draw accurate moon phases, you will need to have a basic understanding of the lunar cycle and the different phases of the moon. You can use a reference image or a lunar calendar to guide you, and make sure to pay attention to the shape and positioning of the moon in relation to the sun.

3. Can you draw moon phases on any day?

Yes, you can draw moon phases on any day, but the accuracy of your drawing may vary depending on the current phase of the moon. If you want to draw the moon phases accurately, it is best to do so on a day when the moon is in a prominent position in the sky and can be easily observed.

4. Do you need any special materials to draw moon phases?

No, you do not need any special materials to draw moon phases. All you need is a piece of paper, a pencil, and a ruler. You can also use a protractor to ensure accuracy in your drawing, but it is not necessary.

5. Is there a specific way to draw moon phases?

There is no one specific way to draw moon phases, but there are some common techniques that can help you create an accurate and visually appealing drawing. These include using a circular shape to represent the moon, shading to create the illusion of light and shadow, and paying attention to the positioning of the moon in relation to the sun.