Driven Oscillation: Springboard diving

In summary, the amplitude of the oscillation when the diver just become airborne is v = kA and the acceleration is sqrt (k m ).
Beth N

Homework Statement

A light springboard deflects 15cm when a 65kg diver stands on its end. He jumps up and down, depressing it by 25 cm, then he moves up and down with the oscillations of the end of the board.
What is the amplitude of the oscillation when the diver just become airborne? What is the acceleration at this point?
(in solving problem c, assuming that we have acquired the frequency and the maximum speed from question a and b)

Below is the problem. I highlighted in red the question I have. Feel free to skip uneccessary information.

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.44.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.45.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.51.12 AM.png

Homework Equations

##a=A * ( 2 \pi f)^2##

##v=\frac 1 2kA^2##

##f=\frac 1 2\pi (\sqrt {\frac k m})##
a is acceleration, A is amplitude, f is frequency, k is spring constant m is mass

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The big question I have isn't exactly the question c in the problem, but: why we can be sure that the board won't bend beyond its undeflected position? My thought is that maybe there is no energy input, no force pointing upward; the only driving force here is the man's weight. So when the man no longer exert his weight force upon the board, there is no more restoring force by the board on the man opposing his weight. Hence the board return to its equilibrium position at 0 (in picture).

However, am I correct to say that the man is jumping up and down in resonance with the oscillation of the board? Could resonance possibly increase the amplitude beyond point 0? How can I prove this mathematically? (I tried using the equations I listed above but didn't succeed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.44.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.44.25 AM.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 762
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.45.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.45.02 AM.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 571
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.51.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.51.12 AM.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
Beth N said:
However, am I correct to say that the man is jumping up and down in resonance with the oscillation of the board?
The problem states that
Beth N said:
... he moves up and down with the oscillations of the end of the board.
This, to me, means that he is just at the threshold of losing contact at 5 cm below the position "zero" of the plank. Figure 14.30 shows the position of his feet and the plank at any time t. If he is launched in the air, yes the board will go above the zero point, but this is not what is described in the problem.

1. What is driven oscillation in the context of springboard diving?

Driven oscillation in springboard diving refers to the movement of the diving board caused by the diver's takeoff and entry into the water. As the diver jumps and pushes off the board, it bends and flexes, creating a back-and-forth motion known as oscillation.

2. How does driven oscillation affect a diver's performance?

The degree of driven oscillation can greatly impact a diver's performance. Too little oscillation can result in a flat and unimpressive dive, while too much oscillation can cause instability and throw off the diver's form. Divers must learn to control and work with the oscillation to achieve a smooth and precise dive.

3. What factors influence the magnitude of driven oscillation in springboard diving?

The magnitude of driven oscillation in springboard diving is affected by several factors, including the height and weight of the diver, the stiffness and length of the diving board, and the angle and force of the takeoff. These factors all contribute to the amount of energy transferred to the board and the resulting oscillation.

4. Can divers manipulate driven oscillation to their advantage?

Yes, experienced divers can use their understanding of driven oscillation to their advantage. By adjusting their takeoff technique and body position, they can control the amount and direction of oscillation to achieve a more dynamic and impressive dive.

5. Does driven oscillation only affect the diving board, or does it also impact the diver?

Driven oscillation not only affects the diving board, but it can also impact the diver. The diver must be able to anticipate and adjust to the movement of the board to maintain balance and control. Additionally, the diver's movements can also influence the magnitude of the oscillation, creating a reciprocal relationship between the diver and the board.