What Does a Grade of R Mean After Accidentally Dropping a Class?

In summary, the individual added a class before the add due date, but accidentally dropped it after the drop due date. They received a grade R, which likely means incomplete, and only a few seconds passed between adding and dropping the class. They are seeking advice on what to do, with suggestions to ask administration or the registrar. They have also spoken to an adviser who was unable to help due to the timing of the drop. The individual is frustrated with receiving a grade for a class they never attended.
eurekameh
I added a class before the add due date, but dropped it right after by accident (after the drop due date). Now, I received a grade R in the class, which I'm guessing means incomplete or something. The time in between which I added and dropped right after is less than like 20 seconds. What can I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
ask administration if they can do something, if you do nothing though it will remain an R

I'm sure there are policies in place to deal with situations like this, especially if it happened very recently. Mistakes like yours can't be terribly uncommon.

What did the registrar say when you talked to him/her?

I talked to an adviser. They said they couldn't do anything because it was after the drop date. It's just ridiculous how I'm receiving an R for the class without even have gone to one class.

OK, what did the registrar say?

1. How do I drop a class by accident?

Dropping a class by accident can happen if you accidentally click the "drop" button on your online course portal or if you mistakenly submit a drop form to your school's registrar. It can also occur if you change your mind about taking a class and forget to officially drop it.

2. Can I still drop a class if I missed the deadline?

It depends on your school's policies. Some schools may allow you to drop a class after the deadline with a valid reason, such as a medical emergency or a scheduling conflict. It's best to check with your advisor or the registrar's office for more information.

3. Will dropping a class by accident affect my GPA?

If you drop a class early enough in the semester, it typically will not affect your GPA. However, if you drop a class after the deadline, it may result in a "W" (withdrawal) on your transcript, which does not affect your GPA but may impact your academic standing.

4. What should I do if I accidentally dropped a required class?

If you accidentally dropped a required class, you should contact your academic advisor or the department offering the class immediately. They may be able to help you re-enroll in the class or provide alternative options to fulfill the requirement.

5. Can I drop a class by accident and still get a refund?

It depends on your school's refund policies and the timing of when you dropped the class. If you drop a class before the deadline, you may be eligible for a full or partial refund. However, if you drop a class after the deadline, you may not receive a refund. It's best to check with your school's financial aid office for more information.