Dual axial flux PMG wind turbine

In summary, the Savonius rotor is not very efficient, and requires a lot of hardware to make it work.
gratefuldan
I am making a small vertical savonius type wind turbine and would like some general rule guidelines. I am using 14awg magnetic wire--70 turns (2"oval) and ceramic block 1" x 2" x.375" magnets. I am hoping to get the most power possible at lower wind speeds. Is there a rule that states a relationship between wire gauge, turns, magnet strength ie thicker wire,more turns stronger magnets=max power.Also when testing my voltage it spins freely-then test amps and it comes to a screeching halt. is this a problem-if so, how do I fix it?thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you measure voltage you are using a high impedance voltmeter that takes almost no energy from the generator. When you measure current you take real energy from the generator and so magnetically brake the generator.

Ask yourself; why do we not see more Savonius rotors being built and used productively

A Savonius rotor is the most inefficient rotor available. Unfortunately beginners get fixated on the SR and so can never advance to designs with 10 times the efficiency. The cost of the structural tower needed to handle high winds for a SR is way more than a standard windmill tower where an offset tail can turn the head sideways to reduce damage in strong winds.

As the devil's advocate I will point out that: An axial flux generator will be less efficient than a traditional design because the magnetic flux path and the length of copper required for the same performance will be greater. Couple that to an inefficient SR, that will stall unless it is duplicated, and you have the engineering equivalent of double jeopardy.

Baluncore,thanks for your reply.The reason for the Savonius type rotor is for ease of transportation, size, safety and low wind start up. Basically I am trying to fill a portable power niche for people to charge a battery either in an emergency or for leisure--when off grid.

Related to Dual axial flux PMG wind turbine

1. What is a dual axial flux PMG wind turbine?

A dual axial flux PMG wind turbine is a type of wind turbine that uses a permanent magnet generator (PMG) with two sets of axial flux windings, one on each side of the rotor. This design allows for improved efficiency and power output compared to traditional wind turbines.

2. What are the advantages of a dual axial flux PMG wind turbine?

The main advantage of a dual axial flux PMG wind turbine is its increased efficiency, which can result in higher power output and reduced maintenance costs. Additionally, the compact design allows for easier installation and transportation.

3. How does a dual axial flux PMG wind turbine work?

A dual axial flux PMG wind turbine works by harnessing the power of the wind to rotate its blades, which in turn rotate the rotor of the PMG. As the rotor spins, the magnetic field created by the permanent magnets interacts with the windings, generating electricity.

4. What is the difference between a dual axial flux PMG wind turbine and a traditional wind turbine?

The main difference between a dual axial flux PMG wind turbine and a traditional wind turbine is the design of the generator. While traditional wind turbines use a radial flux generator, which has windings around the circumference of the rotor, dual axial flux PMG turbines have windings on both sides of the rotor. This allows for a more compact and efficient design.

5. Are dual axial flux PMG wind turbines more expensive?

While the initial cost of a dual axial flux PMG wind turbine may be higher than a traditional wind turbine, the increased efficiency and reduced maintenance costs can result in long-term cost savings. Additionally, as technology advances and the demand for renewable energy increases, the cost of these turbines is expected to decrease.