Is there a resultant holding torque in the rotor?

In summary, the scenario described involves a wire traveling through a magnetic field between two pairs of north-south magnets in a motor. When a current flows through the wire, it will create a Lorentz force that will result in a holding torque, which can be increased by moving the wires closer to the magnets.
Mikron
Hi, sorry for the title. I struggled to accurately describe my question in a short sentence.

I'm trying to understand if there would be a holding torque or not in the following scenario.

I'm referring to a motor which has a central stator and two permanent magnet rotor plates on either side to help visualise where I'm coming from.

In an axial flux coreless motor there is a wire (in the stator) traveling upward through a magnetic field between a pair of north-south magnets (rotor). This same wire then skips a pair of magnets and travels back down through a pair of, again, north-south magnets.

When a current flows through the wire, to my mind the rotor will be trying to turn both clockwise and anticlockwise due to lorentz force. Will this result in a holding torque or will the forces some how cancel out resulting in no holding torque?

I don't (edit) think there would be a holding torque. Please enlighten me! Thanks so much for your input.

Edit - Same scenario as above but now wires are moved apart so that they lie in the transition between two pairs of magnets of opposite orientation. Now when an external torque is applied to the rotor the lorentz force is increased in one or the other pairs of magnets which resists the external torque. Am I correct?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
again.Yes, you are correct. When an external torque is applied to the rotor, the Lorentz force increases in one or the other pair of magnets which resists the external torque, resulting in a holding torque. The holding torque will depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the current running through the wire.

What is a resultant holding torque in the rotor?

A resultant holding torque in the rotor refers to the net or total torque that is exerted on the rotor of a motor. This torque is caused by various factors such as the magnetic fields, electrical currents, and mechanical forces within the motor.

How is a resultant holding torque calculated?

A resultant holding torque can be calculated by summing up all the individual torques acting on the rotor. These torques can include the electromagnetic torque, frictional torque, and load torque. The direction of each torque must also be taken into account when calculating the resultant holding torque.

What factors can affect the resultant holding torque in a motor?

The resultant holding torque in a motor can be affected by a variety of factors. These can include the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the motor, the type and size of the motor, and the load on the motor.

Why is it important to consider the resultant holding torque in a motor?

The resultant holding torque is an important factor to consider in a motor because it determines the motor's ability to maintain a steady position and resist external forces. A higher resultant holding torque means the motor can better handle heavy loads and maintain its position without slipping or stalling.

How can the resultant holding torque be increased?

The resultant holding torque in a motor can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, increasing the current flowing through the motor, and choosing a larger or more powerful motor. Proper maintenance and lubrication of the motor can also help to maintain its holding torque over time.