Dynamics: Determining amount of energy dissapated by a pulley

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of determining the amount of energy dissipated in friction by a pulley and the tension in each portion of the cord during motion of two blocks attached by a cable and hanging at the same height. The solution involved using equations for kinetic energy, potential energy, and force, as well as drawing free body diagrams and equating forces to find the acceleration and ultimately the tensions.
jaredogden

Homework Statement

Blocks A and B have masses 11 kg and 5 kg, respectively, and they are both at a height h = 2m above the ground when the system is released from rest. Just before hitting the ground block A is moving at a speed of 3 m/s. Determine a.) the amount of energy dissipated in friction by the pulley, b.) the tension in each portion of the cord during the motion.

(blocks A and B are hanging at the same height attached by a cable that passes through a pulley above them)

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv2
PE = mgz
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

EA = mgz
EA = (11 kg)(9.81 m/s2)(2 m)

EB = mgz
EB = (5 kg)(9.81 m/s2)(2 m)

KEA at y = 0 m
KEA = 1/2(11 kg)(3 m/s)2
KEA = 49.5 J

The answer in the book for a.) is 45.7 J

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to look at the entire system, not only the kinetic energy in block A. What you calculated is the KE for block A. Write an energy balance for the entire system such as:

Initial energy (KE+PE) = Final energy (KE+PE) + pulley loss

You'll see you will get the correct answer.

Oh thank you! I was trying that earlier but I was trying to figure out the height that block B would be at to add in its potential energy.

Just adding their original potentials and subtracting them from their kinetic energies assuming they were traveling at the same speed did the trick. Thanks again.

Any idea about how to go about getting the Tensions?

In order to find the tensions you should draw a free body diagram of each mass. You will see forces such as tensions, weights, and forces due to acceleration for each. Equate the forces. Each equation will have two unknowns, namely the tension and the acceleration. The acceleration is the same for each force balance.

So you now have two equations with three unknowns. Hint: Determine the acceleration by another means.

Ah perfect! Once I saw the equate the forces I felt stupid.

Thanks so much for the help I finally got it!

Related to Dynamics: Determining amount of energy dissapated by a pulley

1. How does a pulley dissipate energy?

A pulley dissipates energy by converting the input energy from the moving object into frictional heat and sound waves.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated by a pulley?

The amount of energy dissipated by a pulley is affected by the coefficient of friction between the pulley and the object, the mass and velocity of the object, and the mechanical efficiency of the pulley system.

3. How can I calculate the amount of energy dissipated by a pulley?

The amount of energy dissipated by a pulley can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance the pulley moves and the number of times the pulley rotates.

4. What is the role of friction in energy dissipation by a pulley?

Friction plays a crucial role in energy dissipation by a pulley as it converts the kinetic energy of the moving object into heat, sound, and other forms of energy, resulting in a decrease in the total energy of the system.

5. How can we minimize energy dissipation in a pulley system?

To minimize energy dissipation in a pulley system, we can reduce the coefficient of friction by using lubricants, use lighter and smoother materials for the pulley, and maintain proper tension in the system to prevent excessive friction.