Dynamics homework — Does this cabinet sliding on the floor tip over?

In summary: I noticed it was getting buried.In summary, when using point B as the centre of the moment, you get different sign for the mad term. If you take clockwise as positive than 100N force and the force at point G are causing a positive moment and gravity is causing an negative moment. But the solutions have different signs as my attempt I don’t understand why. Appreciate it if someone can explain this to me.I understand part A just not part B.About the pivot point B, you have the positive moment of 100 N times maximum h plus the negative moment of 0.3 m times weight.Both moments should be in balance just before the cabinet starts to tip over.What I
Pipsqueakalchemist
Homework Statement
I have the solutions and questions below
Relevant Equations
Sum of moment = (Moment of inertia)*(angular velocity)
So for this question, when using point B as the centre of the moment, I get different sign for the mad term. If you take clockwise as positive than 100N force and the force at point G are causing a positive moment and gravity is causing an negative moment. But the solutions have different signs as my attempt I don’t understand why. Appreciate it if someone can explain this to me.

Attachments

• DDA22FFF-A6CD-423B-ADC4-BE23C95549CE.png
    DDA22FFF-A6CD-423B-ADC4-BE23C95549CE.png
    20 KB · Views: 97
  • 82BD3301-99E4-4212-9362-DA1F3B26ECA7.png
    82BD3301-99E4-4212-9362-DA1F3B26ECA7.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 41604180-983D-424D-AA82-17B3067B62BD.png
    41604180-983D-424D-AA82-17B3067B62BD.png
    30 KB · Views: 115
  • 2AABD63A-7292-4B31-A6DC-5978E3DD59E8.png
    2AABD63A-7292-4B31-A6DC-5978E3DD59E8.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 119
Physics news on Phys.org
I understand part A just not part B

About the pivot point B, you have the positive moment of 100 N times maximum h plus the negative moment of 0.3 m times weight.
Both moments should be in balance just before the cabinet starts to tip over.

What I’m confused about is the sign of the mad term. The solution has it such that the mad causes a negative moment when you move the mad term to the left side of the equation. Shouldn’t it the mad term cause a positive moment about point B?

I may be wrong, but I believe that there should not be a mad term in that equation.
The horizontal net force (100 N - friction force) is the cause, while acceleration a is the effect.
Remove the 100 N force, and acceleration inmediately becomes negative (for the case of μ=0.25) or zero (for the case μ=0).

There is horizontal acceleration, but there is no angular acceleration while height h has not reached its critical value to make the cabinet tip over.

As the point of application of the 100 N force gets higher, the value of the horizontal net force that induces the horizontal acceleration remains the same.
Nevertheless, the positive moment induced by the 100 N force gradually increases until reaching the value of the negative moment induced by the weight of the cabinet which until that moment had kept some force on legs A because it had been greater than the positive moment.

Please, see:
http://mechanicsmap.psu.edu/websites/6_friction/slipping_vs_tipping/pdf/TippingVsSlipping_WorkedExample2.pdf

At the impending tipping moment, there is no more force on legs A while each leg B supports half of the cabinet's weight, and both moments about B cancel each other.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have responded on the other/new post of this question. Is this question different from the new thread? (seems like the same one, but maybe I am missing something)

It’s the same one, I just reposted it

1. How do I calculate the tipping point of a cabinet sliding on the floor?

The tipping point of a cabinet sliding on the floor can be calculated by using the formula: Tipping point = (height of cabinet x weight of cabinet)/width of cabinet.

2. What factors affect the stability of a cabinet sliding on the floor?

The stability of a cabinet sliding on the floor can be affected by factors such as the weight and height of the cabinet, the surface of the floor, and the force applied to the cabinet.

3. Can I prevent a cabinet from tipping over while sliding on the floor?

Yes, you can prevent a cabinet from tipping over while sliding on the floor by ensuring that the weight of the cabinet is evenly distributed, using anti-slip pads on the bottom of the cabinet, and avoiding applying excessive force to the cabinet.

4. How can I make a cabinet more stable while sliding on the floor?

You can make a cabinet more stable while sliding on the floor by lowering its center of gravity, using a wider base, and adding weight to the bottom of the cabinet.

5. Is there a certain angle at which a cabinet will always tip over while sliding on the floor?

No, the tipping point of a cabinet sliding on the floor depends on various factors such as weight, height, and surface conditions. Therefore, there is no specific angle at which a cabinet will always tip over.